Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-22-2017, 07:01 PM   #2296
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliy View Post
No no no!
PW3 5.8.10: downgrade to factory-initial firmware 5.7.4 is OK!
I did with the kterm and later I wrote a script for KUAL. It writes the file with the correct name to the root directory. SSH or kterm are not required.
My post on 4pda.ru
My script:
Yes, yes, yes.

The test conditions did not translate properly.
Your solution requires that the device already be jail broken.

The conditions tested was if the current jail break would work, as written, when the device was already running 5.8.10.
I.E: Without having already been jail broken.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:02 PM   #2297
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
No no no!
PW3 5.8.10: downgrade to factory-initial firmware 5.7.4 is OK!
I did with the kterm and later I wrote a script for KUAL. It writes the file with the correct name to the root directory. SSH or kterm are not required.
My post on 4pda.ru
My script:
Never mind.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #2298
Eliy
Eliy began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes, yes, yes.
I am sorry. it work wich only jail broken Kindle. I did not understand post of hius07... :-(

I edited my previous post

Last edited by Eliy; 07-23-2017 at 03:17 AM. Reason: I edited my previous post
Eliy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:19 PM   #2299
Trigun
Connoisseur
Trigun began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Do step 8.
step 7 is OTA or manual update :-D
so how i can force the OTA? :-D

step 8 is kual and mrip .. and i have already installed that...
i was just waiting for the kindle self update...

Last edited by Trigun; 07-22-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Trigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:19 PM   #2300
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I am sorry. it work wich jail broken Kindle. I did not understand post of hius07... :-(
He was wanting to downgrade a Kindle that does not have the jailbreak.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2017, 09:11 PM   #2301
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
step 7 is OTA or manual update :-D
so how i can force the OTA? :-D
- - - -
There seems to be a search bar command for the purpose, but testing has not confirmed that it works properly.

What does work properly is, go to this page:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201307450
and follow the directions.

Your JB will survive, everything else will have to be re-installed.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:09 AM   #2302
Trigun
Connoisseur
Trigun began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
yeah i did the manual update... on my pw2 after the jb i got ota update right after the jb... so i was expecting the same here too
Trigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #2303
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Hi all, I've been doing more research today, and I think I have some to a semi-useful conclusion.

We now believe that 5.8.9.0 direct from the factory is also capable of downgrading to the factory images that we have a copy of.

I am willing to stat that I believe the following:

Quote:
Any software available at first-boot will be capable to downgrade to a factory image.
The reason I believe this is simple. FB02 software image is the only one we are ware of that does not require a signing key installed on the device. This is obvious, because form the factory, there will be no software key installed on a device, until AFTER the first software.

And the protections for this do not get applied until after a non first-boot software is installed.

If we were to get ahold of this 5.8.9.0 version, I would believe that it also would have file type of FB02.

So, I think this is good news for anyone buying new hardware of these versions that we do have factory images for, that it would not necessarily be limited to just the 5.8.9.0, but anything that may ship from the factory.

Again, this is just a guess, but I am pretty confident in it. At least unless amazon changes production methods to install an initial version, and then upgrade to another version.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:08 AM   #2304
Lowantong
Lowantong began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Post 2261 is where I put the bin file that I think should work on your GR oasis.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=2261

I did test this Morning by using the "Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.PKOA_GR_install. bin" renamed to "Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin" (According to knc1 information). From the Software Update screen, it show "Update Successful, Your Kindle is Restarting.....".

After that, I placed “KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2” to documents folder & placed “Update_KUALBooklet_v2.6.40_install.bin” to mrpackages folder. During run Kindle Launcher, it shows Error again. (See attached pic).

This is the situation now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	158073  
Lowantong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:55 AM   #2305
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Has anybody tried to apply the Branch Delay's factory firmware jail break to PW2 with factory_PW2_5.4.3.2_initial firmware?
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:25 AM   #2306
greentea
greentea began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Has anybody tried to apply the Branch Delay's factory firmware jail break to PW2 with factory_PW2_5.4.3.2_initial firmware?
I did. I don't remember the details, but it did not work. Nothing bad happened, after applying proper JB Kindle worked as expected.
greentea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #2307
knc1
Going Viral

See corrected reply a few posts below.

Last edited by knc1; 07-24-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:12 PM   #2308
macsek
eReader fan
macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Currently using Kindle PaperWhite 4 /32. Also have a Kobo Aura One
Smile It did work for KV 5.8.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Software jail break for the 6th, 7th, and 8th generation devices listed in the title.

Will this jail break work on my current firmware?
Find the current firmware version number shown on the "Device Info" panel.
The period (".") characters are not decimal points, they are field separators.
Open the following spoiler and compare numbers as described:
  • 5.a.b.c.d : Is first number anything other than 5?
    This jailbreak will not work.
  • 5.8.b.c.d : Is number larger than 8?
  • 5.8.7.c.d : Is number larger than 7?
  • No numbers for the ".c" and ".d" fields.
    This jailbreak will work.
  • 5.8.7.0.d : Is number larger than 0?
    This jailbreak may or may not work. Unknown.
  • 5.8.7.0.1 : Is number larger than 1?
    This jailbreak may or may not work. Unknown.
  • Have you reached the end of this list without encountering a "will not work" number?
    Did not find a number commented as "will not work": This jail break will work.
  • Reached the end of this list, but encountered a "may or may not work" comment?
    Found a number commented as: "may or may not work".
    Then it may or may not work, try it and tell us in this thread.
    You can tell if it is working by how long it takes to perform the update to the factory, production line, firmware.
    Less than a few minutes? It did not work.

With the one special exception: Firmware 5.8.9.0.1 with build ID: (3175970011) - On which this jail break works.

I have successfully installed this JailBreak on my new Voyage (9013), which ran 5.8.9 initially (different build number ID, not 3175970011), even if 5.8.10 was out some days.
I have read about it on MR Forum (post of coplate) this theoretically could work as this was the firmware it was shipped with.
So I was able to downgrade to factory_KV_5.5.0_initial, following all the steps and finally I have a working JB, KUAL, KOReader, on a 5.8.10 firmware.

big thanks to knc1

Last edited by macsek; 07-24-2017 at 06:16 PM.
macsek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:03 PM   #2309
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsek View Post
I have successfully installed this JailBreak on my new Voyage (9013), which ran 5.8.9 initially (different build number ID, not 3175970011),...
If you are able to give us that build ID, knc1 might be willing to add it to the exceptions.

Like you saw on my post, I have a very strong conclusion that any version you get direct from the store will be able to be downgraded, as long as you do not let it do an update on wifi first. ( for now, until they change something ) But it would be good to get your build number for future readers if you still have it.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:26 PM   #2310
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowantong View Post
I did test this Morning by using the "Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.PKOA_GR_install. bin" renamed to "Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin" (According to knc1 information). From the Software Update screen, it show "Update Successful, Your Kindle is Restarting.....".

After that, I placed “KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2” to documents folder & placed “Update_KUALBooklet_v2.6.40_install.bin” to mrpackages folder. During run Kindle Launcher, it shows Error again. (See attached pic).

This is the situation now
I do wish you would update your device listing in your info box or at least mention what model you are talking about in each post.
It would save us both a lot of time.
I went back to:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=2246
64 posts and several pages back - -
To discover you are working with a KOA not a PW3.

So to correct my last post:

See where you:
Quote:
After that, I placed “KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2” to documents folder
Well, delete it, it will not work on a KOA.
It is not suppose to work on either 8th. generation device, Amazon dropped support for 'active documents'.

You MUST use the booklet form of KUAL.
You MUST use MrPI to install the booklet form of KUAL.
You MUST use the search bar command:
;log mrpi
The semi-colon is part of the command to run MrPI.

The only reason for the error you are seeing now is because you are trying to use the build of KUAL which is not suppose to work on a KOA.
The only thing it will do on either a KT3 or a KOA is produce the error message you posted.
What you are seeing and reporting is the reason we made a booklet form of KUAL.

Last edited by knc1; 07-24-2017 at 07:31 PM.