Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-31-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
PurpleRain63
PurpleRain63 began at the beginning.

Device: Google Nexus 7 - Android 6.0.1
Question Question for Android experts

This is about a problem with my reading app - Bookari (version 4.2.1 build 453) - formerly Mantano. I absolutely hate the new version (no multiple selection is my biggest gripe), and I have found and downloaded the apk file for version 3.0.16 patched.

I'd like to know how (or if) I can revert to the older version, and if I can - how do I go about doing it? I'm an avid reader and have over 600 books on my Google Nexus 7 (android 6.0.1).

I really hope someone here can help me.

Lorraine in Westbank, BC

Last edited by PurpleRain63; 05-31-2017 at 04:25 PM.
PurpleRain63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Hi Lorraine,

Try this:
1. In your device Settings - Security settings, tick Unknown sources (Allow installation of apps from sources other than the Play Store).
2. Use a file manager (your device probably comes with one) to locate the .apk file you downloaded, and click on it.
3. If you get several options for installing the app (like "Verify and install"), choose either one.
4. Read through the list f permissions requested by the app and make sure they are reasonable.
5. Install.
6. The old version may replace the newer one, or install alongside it. Check if it works.
7. Reverse the change you made in Security settings.
8. Enjoy!

I hope this helps!

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
PurpleRain63

WOW - impressive signature Collector.

Thanks very much for your detailed reply. I am going to try this on my hubby's tablet before I do it on mine. He has the same tablet but probably about 5% of the books I have on mine.

I'll get back here after I've done it, and let you know which way it installs. It may be a few days - I have quite a few pressing things to take care of first.

Thanks again

Lorraine
Old 06-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
PurpleRain63

I'm back, but did not install the apk file on my tablet. The choices given when I tried to install were totally incomprehensible to me (like the newer version of Bookari).

When I went to do it on hubby's tablet, it still had the older version installed. Since he rarely uses his, he said I could have it - so have added all my books to it, and I'm a happy camper. It is so much easier to to arrange or navigate.

Anyway, I will keep your instructions for later use if needed. I had installed an app this way before, but forgot about changing the permission to "sideload".

Thanks for your help - much appreciated!

Lorraine
Old 06-09-2017, 03:19 AM   #5
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
You are welcome Lorraine, and thanks for the kind feedback. If you ever decide to install it on your device anyway, feel free to send me a PM with a screenshot of the incomprehensible options - I might be able to assist.

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #6
PurpleRain63

Thank you so much. I'll keep that in mind.

Lorraine
Old 06-11-2017, 05:16 AM   #7
FireWat
FireWat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle reader
You need to simply install old version apk normally, it may tell you that you're updating it but that's default text, so ignore it.
If apk install failed due to conflicting signature then the only choice is to uninstall current app and install older version from apk. But please be warned if all your books is saved locally with apk you may loose all
FireWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #8
PurpleRain63

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWat View Post
You need to simply install old version apk normally, it may tell you that you're updating it but that's default text, so ignore it.
If apk install failed due to conflicting signature then the only choice is to uninstall current app and install older version from apk. But please be warned if all your books is saved locally with apk you may loose all
Thanks FireWat, I'll keep that in mind (and on my computer)
Old 07-08-2017, 03:50 AM   #9
fiza200
fiza200 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 3310
You are using old version for this android. You should update it or get more info from here http://www.mobile-phone.pk/android_mobile_phones/
fiza200 is offline   Reply With Quote