Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-27-2015, 11:47 PM   #1
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Fire HD 10, 10.1"

I am looking for a tablet. I wish to use it to replace my laptop for everyday things. I have MS, so weight and size count. I need 10 inch for vision and as light as possible. I need to run VNC, web pages, including rutorrent. I would like to have 3 or 4 web pages open at a time. Beyond that ebay and facebook is about all I would use it for. I accept I would still turn my laptop on for half an hour a day. Is the new Fire going to handle all this with decent response time. I love the response time of my mum's ipad mini 1. But will not tolerate the horrible fact that everything has to load via itunes. I hate the fact apple controls every damn thing. I would continue to use my kindle paperwhite for reading.

thank you

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I am looking for a tablet. I wish to use it to replace my laptop for everyday things. I have MS, so weight and size count. I need 10 inch for vision and as light as possible. I need to run VNC, web pages, including rutorrent. I would like to have 3 or 4 web pages open at a time. Beyond that ebay and facebook is about all I would use it for. I accept I would still turn my laptop on for half an hour a day. Is the new Fire going to handle all this with decent response time. I love the response time of my mum's ipad mini 1. But will not tolerate the horrible fact that everything has to load via itunes. I hate the fact apple controls every damn thing. I would continue to use my kindle paperwhite for reading.

thank you

applesauce
I don't know what VNC is but I doubt your requirements can be met by a kindle Fire, maybe a standard andorid tablet (I don't know for sure) but I can't help thinking, looking at your requirements, that you would do better waiting 6 months and getting a lightweight windows 10 tablet, or hybrid laptop/tablet with detachable screen.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:18 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
VNC = Virtual Network Computing. Yes, there are VNC apps for the Fire. As to response time I can't say, but would guess a lot will depend on network quality.

For webpages (Facebook, eBay, etc.) and 3-4 tabs open, I wouldn't think that would be a problem (it isn't on my 2013 HDX 8.9).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:08 PM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
VNC = Virtual Network Computing. Yes, there are VNC apps for the Fire. As to response time I can't say, but would guess a lot will depend on network quality.

For webpages (Facebook, eBay, etc.) and 3-4 tabs open, I wouldn't think that would be a problem (it isn't on my 2013 HDX 8.9).

I was thinking more of your need for rutorrent. I don't know the site but I assumed it was a torrent site and I don't think you can download from a torrent site onto an android tablet, but I'm not an expert.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:07 AM   #5
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
thanks everybody. RUTorrent is to control another computer, the same as VNC. I currently use my laptop for both, and was hoping to use a tablet instead as it would free up space.

I would have to buy sight unseen from the USA as it will be months before they become available in Australia.

I think the main thing I was hoping was that somebody had used the apple air then test ran the new fire and could give a comparison.

applesauce.
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:02 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I use Teamviewer to access my others computers it works on Android and Windows.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:45 AM   #7
pjmpjm
Zealot
pjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Fire HD 10
Using the Fire HD 10

QUOTE=applesauce;3178345]I am looking for a tablet. I wish to use it to replace my laptop for everyday things. I have MS, so weight and size count. I need 10 inch for vision and as light as possible. I need to run VNC, web pages, including rutorrent. I would like to have 3 or 4 web pages open at a time. Beyond that ebay and facebook is about all I would use it for. I accept I would still turn my laptop on for half an hour a day. Is the new Fire going to handle all this with decent response time. I love the response time of my mum's ipad mini 1. But will not tolerate the horrible fact that everything has to load via itunes. I hate the fact apple controls every damn thing. I would continue to use my kindle paperwhite for reading.

thank you

applesauce[/QUOTE]

Am presently using the HD 10 much as you describe and am quite happy with it. Took me a couple of weeks to work out all the features, etc. This is my third Kindle. Had an older Fire previous to this one.
pjmpjm is offline   Reply With Quote