Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Could the iPhone serve as a whiz-bang e-reader?
Yes 43 26.88%
No 117 73.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #76
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhorus View Post
Couldn't help but weigh in with some of the other opinions about the limitations of the iPhone as a reader. Anyone trying to using it for reading a book is not a serious reader but is more interested in a making a fashion statement.
Well, now, I wouldn't go THAT far. I spent 10 years enjoyably reading books on my Palm, and that's quite similar in size to the iPhone's reading experience. But I'm buying the iPhone (when AT&T gets more.....) for its phone-ness and pda-ness. I will do most of my reading on my Kindle ..... but will try to keep the same books loaded on the iPHone. That way, when I have 10 minutes to kill in the grocery checkout line, I can keep reading the same book (and not always carry the Kindle everywhere). We'll see how it works.

desertgramma: agreed, they are for different purposes. They can be complimentary to each other, but I will still use the Kindle as my main reader.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:49 PM   #77
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Well, now, I wouldn't go THAT far. I spent 10 years enjoyably reading books on my Palm, and that's quite similar in size to the iPhone's reading experience. But I'm buying the iPhone (when AT&T gets more.....) for its phone-ness and pda-ness. I will do most of my reading on my Kindle ..... but will try to keep the same books loaded on the iPHone. That way, when I have 10 minutes to kill in the grocery checkout line, I can keep reading the same book (and not always carry the Kindle everywhere). We'll see how it works.

desertgramma: agreed, they are for different purposes. They can be complimentary to each other, but I will still use the Kindle as my main reader.
We all know not to cross DG
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #78
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post

That's what I do with my iPod Touch andmy CyBook. I think it works really well for me. Each divice has its limitations - size, backlighting, portability, battery, etc.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #79
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
talaivan, please, tell us why you 'hate the kindle' Do you own one?
talaivan returned his/her Kindle back in December.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...52&postcount=1
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:50 PM   #80
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
We all know not to cross DG
Oh, wow, am I that bad??
But seriously, folks, it all boils down to this. If it works for you, thats the most important thing. Like someone else said on this board one time,(sorry, I can't remember who!) I don't care which book reader you got, as long as you get one! The Kindle came along at a perfect time for me. Everything about it (except I can't download ALL books!) is perfect........for me. I know you others feel the same way about your Sony and Iliad. I still think this tiny screen will backfire on Apples book-reader hopes after the first flush of excitement, but I"ve been wrong many times before. And isn't that what they said about the Kindle. I'm just keeping my eye on the big picture....the more book readers that excite interest out there, the faster more books will become available for us all.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #81
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
talaivan returned his/her Kindle back in December.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...52&postcount=1
Some people are just not meant to have one, and I"m glad Amazon is so generous in their return policies.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #82
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Quote:
Couldn't help but weigh in with some of the other opinions about the limitations of the iPhone as a reader. Anyone trying to using it for reading a book is not a serious reader but is more interested in a making a fashion statement.

Come on, that's a pretty broad statement. I am as serious of an ereader as you'll find and I know others who are in the same boat as I am who use the iPhone as a primary reader. It all boils down to convenience for me.

I like multi function devices. I read my emails, check on my blog, pay my bills, track my appointments and read all from the same device. But, more importantly, the eink devices are without backlights and for me and many of the readers on my blog, this vital because so many of us read in bed with partners who do not want to be blinded by booklights.

The iPhone and devices like it allow for a boolight-less ereading experience.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #83
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I have both. They do not take away from each other. Its nice to be able to read on the iphone but that isn't what I use it for. Its nice to be able to surf the net and play music with the Kindle but that isn't what I use it for.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:51 AM   #84
chankster
chankster began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
What's next? Passing judgement on what people actually read?
I like reading on my iPod Touch just fine, thank you. Using ruBooks at the moment. I average around 3 books per week.

I guess I'm quite picky but the point for me is to be able to read in both low-light conditions and at times where I wouldn't normally bring a book with me. A 6" reader is way too big for me, I need my reader to fit in a back- or shirt pocket. My old Palm TX just barely qualified and weirdly cost as much as a 8GB iPod Touch so when the palm gave up, I decided to have a go at the iPod Touch.

For me, the Touch is primarily a reader, secondary usage is Safari and at a low third is music, mainly in the car.

I may be the exception that proves the point though...
chankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:33 AM   #85
Alsicole
Connoisseur
Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPhone 6, iPad Mini Retina,
I think that any device that is nice enough to read on is a good thing. Maybe some of those people who don't usually read books might take it up if they can do it on their iPhone. They're less likely to purchase a dedicated reader like the Kindle, but may find a way into books more easily with a device they're already using for other purposes.
Alsicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:19 AM   #86
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I got the new iPhone 3G and like it a lot. And, typically for me, I downloaded a book onto it before I got home with the thing. But it's no better than the old iPaq for reading (small screen, battery issues etc).

The advantage, and why I like having eBooks on the iPhone is that I always have my cell phone with me but not always my Sony reader. This way, I get stuck somewhere, like in line at the Apple Store, I have something to read and won't just stand there pining for my Sony. In fact, I've even loaded a couple of movies on the thing for the same reasons.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #87
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Dream on.

I read ebooks on a Palm Os PDA, which has an equivalent screen size, and have for years.

I'm not interested in a dedicated reader because I need color, and the ability to do other things besides view ebooks. The PDA does that, and I can read ebooks in just about every format save Sony LRF and epub.

Yes, the iPhone can be considered a fashion statement, but it's also an attractive and well designed device that seems to serve its intended purpose well. And I don't think the folks whose main reason for having an iPhone is fashion statement are the same ones who read books on it.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #88
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Apple eReader

Who knows Apple might actually invent a reasonably priced eReader that is as cool as their iPods (yes I admit it I have a blue iPod and I love it!). One can hope!

I think that the person who reads ebooks is probably not your average book reader. As most of the population does not read books regularly, someone who reads several books a week is its own little market.

I could see the iPhone as a helpful device to students who could use a easy way to lug around text books.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #89
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Who knows Apple might actually invent a reasonably priced eReader that is as cool as their iPods (yes I admit it I have a blue iPod and I love it!). One can hope!

I think that the person who reads ebooks is probably not your average book reader. As most of the population does not read books regularly, someone who reads several books a week is its own little market.
That's the problem: little market. Apple is unlikely to build a reader because the market simply isn't large enough.

The iPod works for them because everyone listens to music. The iPhone works because nearly everyone has a cell phone. They can sell millions of each.

The total market for dedicated readers at this point is likely on the order of a few hundred thousand devices for all reader manufacturers combined. Apple needs much bigger numbers to justify doing it.

Quote:
I could see the iPhone as a helpful device to students who could use a easy way to lug around text books.
Assuming the texts were in a format readable on the iPhone. If they are in electronic format at all, it is likely PDF, which does not normally play well on a handheld -- the screen size is too small for effective display, and most PDFs don't reflow to fit the screen. The other issue is annotation. How do you write notes in the margin on a ebook? Some formats support annotation, but not all.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #90
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I think the iLiad is still the only device that would be really suitable for college textbook use. But there are still practically no textbooks available in any format. I think it would be well worth it for iRex to try to pursue deals with the large textbook publishers, e.g. Wiley, but perhaps the textbook publishers don't feel the same way.

Yet.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone, kindle