Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
whisperia
whisperia began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Deleted Documents Folder :(

Hi,

I was trying to organize my libraries which I had two of. After I got the new one all fixed up I went and deleted the old one. It was just my Documents folder. I assumed it would just delete the books in that folder. It deleted everything though. My Outlook PST files, my movies, everything I kept in this folder. Can anyone give me suggestions on a way to go about retrieving this information?

Please help

Thanks
whisperia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Check the recycle bin, it will have everything except the large files which were too big for it, hopefully.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Is it just me, I have a strange sense of deJa view . I'm positive i have read that exact post before.
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
Is it just me, I have a strange sense of deJa view . I'm positive i have read that exact post before.
I know what you mean!

If I remember the outcome of the previous episode was to reword the warning message to make it clearer that ALL files in the folder selected will be deleted - not just the Calibre ones. However obviously the warning message is either still not clear enough or was ignored.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The warning message looks like the attached picture.

@whisperia: You will have to try to find some undelete/disk recovery tools for windows. Not being a windows user I can't help you with that. Try googleing windows undelete or windows disk recovery
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aus7.jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	73227  
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
bedgar
bedgar doesn't litterbedgar doesn't litter

Device: iPhone, iPad
Hello everyone,

My name is Bobby, I am whisperia's husband. I am also the person that fixed her problem so I will leave this information here for others that run into this fundamental flaw in this otherwise brilliant software. I say that with all due respect to the author. I have seen how he replies to any type of criticism and will try to stay off his bad side. So let me first explain the fix since that is the most important thing. I used Undelete Plus (www.undeleteplus.com). Works great and it is my weapon of choice on Windows. I believe we were able to recover all of the lost files. Downside, if you don't have it, it costs $40. Well worth it in many cases though.

Now, let me adderess what I see as being the problem here. You guys can ramble on all day long about warning messages etc. They are alot like car alarms, devs have over used them so much, that the typical end-user tries, to their own demise in many cases, to get rid of them ASAP many times without properly reading them. I agree, that is a problem but I would argue that it is not caused solely by the end-users. In the case of deleting, you should always take extra precaution to read the dialog, but in this case, reading it still makes you think it is going to delete it from your program, it says NOTHING about deleting files from your HARD DRIVE. Because of that, I disagree that this dialog in its current state is useful.

Second, let us assume as you implied in another thread that this is a "feature" and not a bug. You claim it will delete EVERYTHING in that folder right? Well guess what? It doesn't, therefore one way or another there is a bug here. It left several files and folders and seemingly deleted random files and folders. Therefore, even if this is a "feature" it is clearly broken because it should have deleted everything if it worked as you expected.

Now, when you deal with data, it is YOUR responsibility as a developer to take that serious. You must also understand, when people lose a bunch of their files they are not usually in the best mood. You should really take it in stride and be a bit more understanding at their frustration. I am sure we have all been there so I would think it is one thing we can all relate to, the furstration of losing data unexpectedly.

I find it funny that there are plenty of other applications in this world that are cross-platform and can make use of the different recycle bin's in the various OS's. Why is it not possible in Calibre? That aside, iTunes and Windows Media Players libraries have a feature that when you try to delete, a dialog prompts you to remove it from the library or the library and HD. I think this would solve a lot of if not all of these problems. Personally, if I want to delete files from my actual drive, I am not doing it through a program such as Calibre. I use Windows Explorer, or some other utility that is made for that type of usage. I don't want all applications removing my personal files that are of no association to the program or its library. I think if someone wants to delete the library you should prompt them with do you want to:
  1. a.) Delete just this libraryand all files from Calibre or
  2. b.) Delete this library and all files from Calibre AND the Hard Drive.

Furthermore, the program should under NO circumstances delete ANY files from the HD that are not a part of the library. No one should expect that behaviour. Remember that when people first start using Calibre, they don't always have an understanding of how it works. That is why it is not odd to me that someone would choose some sort of root folder or directory for the base of their library. Usually they want to make sure all of the relevant files are included. We also tend to expect programs to leave files alone if we did not tell them to do anything with them in the first place.

I would at least start by mentioning you are removing files from the hard drive in your warning dialog box. That would be a good start. Might be good to mention it will delete everything in that folder even if it isn't currently doing that.

I look forward to your response and hope we can find a way to better prevent this unfortunate problem. No matter what the root is. Thanks for your time.

Bobby
bedgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
bedgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I know what you mean!

If I remember the outcome of the previous episode was to reword the warning message to make it clearer that ALL files in the folder selected will be deleted - not just the Calibre ones. However obviously the warning message is either still not clear enough or was ignored.
I will go with not clear enough as it mentions nothing about removing anything at all from the hard drive itself. It seems safe to assume it is only permenantly removing it from Calibre. Why would any program delete files that have absolutely nothing to do with it? You can read my other post as it has all this and more.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Once again, in case you did not see the screenshot I posted before, the dialog reads, and I quote

All files (not just ebooks) from

/path/to/library/folder

will be permanently deleted. Are you sure?

I dont know how to make it clearer than that.

Delete individual books from calibre, they will be put in the recycle bin. Delete an entire library, it will be permanently deleted. If you dont understand why, try putting huge numbers of files in a recycle bin and see what happens.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedgar View Post
Why would any program delete files that have absolutely nothing to do with it? You can read my other post as it has all this and more.
I can think of lots of program's that will delete files that have nothing to do with them. They typically give you a less obvious warning than Calibre does. I suggest that you come up with wording that would have made it clearer to you what was about to happen? Since ALL files are by definition on the hard drive then it seems redundant to re-emphasise that point?

This problem can only occur in the first place if:
- there are non-calibre files in the calibre library folder - something that is not meant to occur.
- the user has ignored warnings at the time the library is created (although I accept if the library was created in an old version of calibre it is possible the warnings were not in place)
- the very strong warning is ignored at delete time.

There are technical reasons why the Recycle bin is not being used as otherwise that would be an easy recovery.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why not make it an option if the entire library gets recycled or not?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
bedgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Once again, in case you did not see the screenshot I posted before, the dialog reads, and I quote

All files (not just ebooks) from

/path/to/library/folder

will be permanently deleted. Are you sure?

I dont know how to make it clearer than that.

Delete individual books from calibre, they will be put in the recycle bin. Delete an entire library, it will be permanently deleted. If you dont understand why, try putting huge numbers of files in a recycle bin and see what happens.
You don't know how to make it any clearer? Because mentioning from the hard drive is too hard? Not sure I follow your logic.

See the problem here is the same as my developers. They have a problem stepping back and viewing things from a non-technical standpoint. When you are technical sure it may make more sense. But that is you and you are not taking into account people who maybe don't have the knowledge you do.

Anyways, you make it clear, you are the only one that is right and anyone else's thought or input is unwelcomed and wrong. I mean I gave you a perfect solution that is used in many reputable software titles. I say let's work on some real solutions, and that is your reply. Well brilliant. You have a good day sir and good luck with your software.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
bedgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I can think of lots of program's that will delete files that have nothing to do with them. They typically give you a less obvious warning than Calibre does. I suggest that you come up with wording that would have made it clearer to you what was about to happen? Since ALL files are by definition on the hard drive then it seems redundant to re-emphasise that point?

This problem can only occur in the first place if:
- there are non-calibre files in the calibre library folder - something that is not meant to occur.
- the user has ignored warnings at the time the library is created (although I accept if the library was created in an old version of calibre it is possible the warnings were not in place)
- the very strong warning is ignored at delete time.

There are technical reasons why the Recycle bin is not being used as otherwise that would be an easy recovery.
Ok I can deal with the lack of recycle bin because you should not be deleting my files. My point is the message does not say hard drive. So it is obviously safe to assume that all files can mean from Calibre just as easily as it could mean hard drive. That is the fundamental problem.

Plus I pointed out it is not even deleting ALL of the files. Yet Mr. Arrogant chooses to ignore the pointing out of an obvious bug in even the methodology HE HIMSELF laid out for us. Sorry but I can't deal with these kinds of devs. They never stick around on my teams long because arrogance can be quite blinding to real problems. But this is HIS project so he is obviously free to run it how he sees fit.

That is by obviously ignoring glaring bugs and to constantly tell people they are wrong and beneath his humongus PHD as if that makes him instantly right.

Not going to fly here. I offered valid feedback and pointed out a bug using his own logic and yet it is ignored. This is his chosen route so enjoy. I will depart because I personally don't use or need Calibre but now I will have read up on the subject to find a suitable replacement since his disregard for peoples data is dangerous.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Sigh, why do I bother. Please dont use calibre and please tell all your friends and relatives to not use it as well.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #14
bedgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not make it an option if the entire library gets recycled or not?
They pointed out they have problems figuring out how to use the recycle bin. So fine I will accept that flaw. I would like to know why it would affect any file that is not a part of this library. There are some serious fundamental flaws with his thought process but he is not open to listening so it is a waste to try to work with him. His program will be done his way no exceptions because no one else is capable of giving valid input to make an otherwise solid piece of software better.

iTunes and Windows Media Player both have a perfect way of dealing with this. But what do those idiots know? They don't have a CalTech PHD!

Old 06-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
bedgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sigh, why do I bother. Please dont use calibre and please tell all your friends and relatives to not use it as well.
Why do you bother to do what? Ignore your users all together? That is a great question! Seriously, why is it such a threat to you when people try to make suggestions that will improve the functionality of your software? It makes no sense. Considering at my job we are ALWAYS soliciting peoples feedback on our software. We understand we don't have all the answers yet you seem to think you do.

Seriously, answer me this, why did you not at least acknowledge that you have a bug? You said it will delete ALL files. You said it yourself MULTIPLE times I might add. Yet it doesn't delete them all. So your function is broken. Even if you do not think it is broken in the manner many of us think it is, it is by your own logic not doing what you say it does. is that not a bug? Or is it another "undocumented feature"?