Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-13-2018, 07:58 PM   #1
Medieval Guy
Medieval Guy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Non-series book sorts with series books

I have a small number of books in my Calibre library that sort oddly. I sort by Published, then Series, then Author, so that it will display by author in publication order with series books at the end. But with these books, they sort as if they are in a series that has no name...i.e., between the non-series books and the series books. I've tried to find any trace of an old series in the meta-data, but nothing seems to work...no matter what I do, the books are "stuck" among the series books.

I hope I'm explaining myself clearly. This is very annoying to my OCD brain, which desperately wants the books to be ordered properly!
Medieval Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I suspect there is a subtle difference in the Author_sort
Run the Quality Check plugin: Check metadata: check Author sort

But before that, open the Tag Browser: Authors and check if there are 2+ entries for your Author.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2018, 09:48 PM   #3
Medieval Guy

Only one entry in Tag Browser; Quality Check didn't find a problem with the books in question.

By the way, when I sort it by Published, then Author, it sorts correctly (i.e., puts it in the proper place according to the publication date). It's only when the Series is added to the sort order that it messes up (putting it with the other series books, as if it's part of a series with a blank name), which is why I think the problem is there.

Last edited by Medieval Guy; 11-13-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:39 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your last sort is Author, so a No series by THAT author will be at the head of THAT author.

Sort by Pub, the Author Then Series (Each sort biases the next sort)

BTW A Published sort does not make sense with Series also being considered Series Index will prevail
Old 11-14-2018, 01:28 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Medieval Guy - you might want to try using the View Manager plugin, amongst other things it provides visible sort order specs ==>> Index of plugins

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2018, 02:31 AM   #6
Medieval Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Your last sort is Author, so a No series by THAT author will be at the head of THAT author.

Sort by Pub, the Author Then Series (Each sort biases the next sort)

BTW A Published sort does not make sense with Series also being considered Series Index will prevail
???Pub, then Author, then Series will sort them by series title! I want it sorted by Author, in date order, with the series books at the end of each author.

It's not as if the book is part of no series (which is what it IS!); it's as if it is in a series, but the series title is blank. But Calibre still thinks it's in a series.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:35 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Perhaps providing a screenshot of what you are seeing might help with others seeing what you are getting and have suggestions for getting the desired results?

I assume that you have checked the Author Sort value on all the books? If this is not identical on them all then you are going to get strange results as in your example that is the primary sort key.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:41 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medieval Guy View Post
???Pub, then Author, then Series will sort them by series title! I want it sorted by Author, in date order, with the series books at the end of each author.

It's not as if the book is part of no series (which is what it IS!); it's as if it is in a series, but the series title is blank. But Calibre still thinks it's in a series.
Either I can't picture what you are seeing or it can't be done

Pubd 1 Author A <no series>
Pubd 2 Author A <no series>
Pubd 1 Author A Series A[1]
Pubd 2 Author A Series A[2]
Pubd 1 Author A Series A[3] << this is proper as the last sort is Series and overrides pubd
Pubd 2 Author B <no series>
Pubd 2 Author B Series A[1]
Pubd 4 Author B Series B[1] <<<this is a reprint (date), but it sorts in series order
Pubd 3 Author B Series B[2]

<no series> might have 'floated' to the top, because you had sorted by pubd earlier (assumes the pub dates were not identical)
Old 11-14-2018, 07:06 AM   #9
Medieval Guy

First, hit Published
Second, hit Series
Third, hit Author

The books will then be sorted by author, with the books in publication order and the series books at the end of each author. What's happening in a very few cases is a book without a series will not be in publication date order, but rather will be between the other no-series books and the series books, as if it has a series title that is blank but recognized (or 00000). If I leave Series out of the sort (i.e., hit Published, hit Author), then it sorts appropriately in publication order. It is only when Series is added to the mix that it sorts incorrectly.

Am I explaining it more clearly now? Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited by Medieval Guy; 11-14-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:14 PM   #10
Medieval Guy

This might help:
Moderator Notice
Pleas follow forum guidelines on inline images. Use an attachment

You can see that Life During Wartime is out of order...it should be up off the top of the screen.

There are a few books like that. And I can't figure out what in them is triggering this behavior. I know it's not in the name, because I changed the author name on all the Lucius Shepard books using the bulk change feature, so they're all identical. Plus, the problem only shows up when I sort by series as well as author and date.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	167724  

Last edited by theducks; 11-15-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:42 AM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Try to clean the series field in that book, even if you have already done it.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:27 AM   #12
Medieval Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Try to clean the series field in that book, even if you have already done it.
Tried that; no luck.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:30 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Make sure all the books have the same value in the language field, since the language influences how series are sorted.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:46 AM   #14
Medieval Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Make sure all the books have the same value in the language field, since the language influences how series are sorted.
Really? Huh!

But no, everything has English for language...
Old 11-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
then attach the metadata.db file from your library and I will take a look.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote