Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

View Poll Results: Pick three options for next firmware upgrade 5&6 inch
Add CoolReader, without severe battery drain! 55 76.39%
Latest version of FB2 31 43.06%
IF possible, keep Visible Clock Set when device off 16 22.22%
LIT is still not right, can you please get LIT to work 27 37.50%
Add Dictionary Support! 32 44.44%
Other (detailed below in post). 21 29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2010, 06:20 AM   #16
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Ok, my 2c on this.

1. What is CoolReader?
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Cool_Reader
The WIKI mentions that it is for Windows, Linux, and MacOS X, but it is also used by some of the e-book readers that run on Linux, like the Astak readers.
It currently can read HTML, RTF, TXT, EPUB, FB2, and CHM.
Quote:
2. What is FB2??
A major open standard reading format in Russia, Ukraine, etc. It does not have all the bells and whistles of the other open standard format EPUB, but it is practically ideal for the fiction novels it was designed for. One simple way to describe it may be to say that it is a Schema for XML to produce books.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/FB2
Quote:
3. Leave the clock out entirely. I have no use for it.
BUT, people who read books borrowed from a public library do have a use for it.
Quote:
4. What is LIT?
Microsoft's proprietary e-book format, approaching obsolescence.
Quote:
5. What's the advantage of Dictionary Support!?
None for me, but support for dictionaries is already in CoolReader anyway.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I picked other. I want user customization of EPub thru the GUI: margins, line spacing, paragraph spacing, paragraph indent, ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 08:01 AM   #18
cloggy
Connoisseur
cloggy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-T1
..for what it's worth:

1) Possibility to set Coolreader as the standard reader to open ePub books (without keeping pressed the number key as in LBOOK....pressed too quickly and the wrong reader opens the book aarrgghh). Note in OpenInkpot you can already do this.

2) File manipulations, cut/copy/paste, delete, move from/to whatever media

3) If option one is too difficult (I doubt as the most recent version of Buggins' Coolreader offers it already), more flexible fonts/margins settings when reading ePub books (like in CoolReader).

4) Or totally get rid of ADOBE to read ePub and PDF books and use Coolreader (or whatever name it will be given) standard with the same flexibility for all book formats supported by Coolreader.
So, actually one single bookreader that supports all formats with all flexibilities. From the user's point of view: a single book reader where you don't need to wonder/worry about the book format as long as it is supported.. Once you have set the preferred font type, size, margins, etc. every book, irrespective the type, will be presented in the same way. (..but this is wishful thinking I'm afraid..we'll never get the factory that far..so I think we have to rely on Buggins??).
cloggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #19
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
What to do?
Well, that's EZ: *everybody* does ADE.
To get the readers to stand out, the EZ REader line needs to do something *meaningful* that the others don't.

The Hanlins are the only eink readers even trying to do LIT support. It should be a calling card and a draw for early adopters and PDA refugees like me. Done right it would be a selling point. As is... not quite.
Either do it right or stop doing it and use the rom space for something else.

Adding Coolreader and updating FBReader fall in the same category: end-user choice. And more end user choice makes for better reading.

Better onboard file management has value. But in the end, the device is for reading; I'd say improve reading first and last.

$0.02
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #20
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Actually, Robertb, I'm real happy with my PP the way it is.

I have kept the latest version, April, on mine, and I always leave it on, I don't even lock the keys. My battery life is not as good as it originally was back last Fall, but it's not bad.

So my three choices:

Improve battery, i.e., stop the unknown drain on the battery. (I don't use the clock, so it could be dumped if that is the drain)

KEEP TTS. Please don't let them get rid of it again. And use one of the more advanced voices, or let us use our purchased voices on the system.

Add Dictionary support in epub/pdf. Coolreader already has the abillity and a member here has provided a dictionary that works great it in. A compete dictionary WITH THESAURUS would be my third choice. I have put my in-progress manuscript on the PP as an RTF, which is read by CoolReader. The dictionary is great but would love a Thesaurus as part of the dictionary capability.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
My other would be to update ADE and fix it on both platforms. EZ Reader basic still does not support links and neither version supports a back function. There have been bug fixes and new DRM support done by Adobe that needs to be incorporated into EZ Reader. A CSS override for ADE, the TOC needs some minor work.

Dictionary support needs to be extended from Coolreader to other formats such as ADE.

My third vote is to get the latest version of Coolreader on the device with a way to choose which reader I want for formats supported by more than one device.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloggy View Post
..for what it's worth:

4) Or totally get rid of ADOBE to read ePub and PDF books and use Coolreader (or whatever name it will be given) standard with the same flexibility for all book formats supported by Coolreader.
So, actually one single bookreader that supports all formats with all flexibilities. From the user's point of view: a single book reader where you don't need to wonder/worry about the book format as long as it is supported.. Once you have set the preferred font type, size, margins, etc. every book, irrespective the type, will be presented in the same way. (..but this is wishful thinking I'm afraid..we'll never get the factory that far..so I think we have to rely on Buggins??).
Not a legal OPTION here in the USA (home of Astak).

Books come with (Adobe) DRM here (a few are for valid reasons, like Lending Library E-Books. which expire after the lend period) and must be read on a ADE equipped reader.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
KEEP TTS. Please don't let them get rid of it again. And use one of the more advanced voices, or let us use our purchased voices on the system.

AJ
Outstanding idea

I don't mind the AT&T tru-voice but I never bothered to suggest it,
because it was Expensive to add to a product that was pushing the comfort price point.

Designing the product to accept a paid add-on voice (sold separately as an upgrade) is a Brilliant (and a money maker) idea that adds almost nothing to the base cost..
Old 07-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #24
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Not a legal OPTION here in the USA (home of Astak).
Can you quote what legal statue requires an e-book reader to be sold with DRM support????
Quote:
Books come with (Adobe) DRM here
And also B&N DRM and Amazon DRM. Does your law require those to be included too?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #25
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I picked other. I want user customization of EPub thru the GUI: margins, line spacing, paragraph spacing, paragraph indent, ...
I'm seriously surprised "Other" doesn't have dozens of votes. Because I think there isn't a person around who doesn't have at least ONE idea for the firmware which isn't on that list. I'm thinking maybe its just that by default people are more likely to simply check boxes already there rather than take the time to check an Other box and then make a whole post to explain it.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Can you quote what legal statue requires an e-book reader to be sold with DRM support????

And also B&N DRM and Amazon DRM. Does your law require those to be included too?
You are trying to over turn the law

Books are SOLD with DRM that is illegal to remove.
Since the Major publisher ONLY sell books that way
AND
Astak wishes to sell book readers to people who want to read books from those publishers. They need to support ADE on their reader (another paid upgrade plug-in)

Actually, you have the right idea.
Sell the plug-in separately, since the owners of the DRM SYSTEM refuse to allow another (multi) DRM SYSTEM to be supported.

No DRM support wanted... Don't purchase the plug-in
Old 07-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #27
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Adding Coolreader and updating FBReader fall in the same category: end-user choice. And more end user choice makes for better reading.
I'm confused. I though only ADE and Coolreader were on this device. Is FBReader there too? I know its on the PocketBook, but I don't recall ever hearing about it on the Hanlin v5 clones. And I think its only on the v3s via something like that OpenInkPot thing.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #28
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
You are trying to over turn the law
Not the law, just the Adobe reader and it's DRM.
Quote:
Actually, you have the right idea.
Sell the plug-in separately, since the owners of the DRM SYSTEM refuse to allow another (multi) DRM SYSTEM to be supported.
I can go along with that idea whole heartedly. Unless the Adobe reader gets a major upgrade it is more of a nuisance than it is worth, so make the whole reader optional at extra cost. And to be fair to the two biggest book sellers also make a B&N reader plug-in available as well as an Amazon reader plug-in.

I like the way that you think!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #29
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
I'm confused. I though only ADE and Coolreader were on this device. Is FBReader there too?
No, FBReader is on many platforms, but it is not on the Hanlin V5 (5" PocketPRO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
And I think its only on the v3s via something like that OpenInkPot thing.
OpenInkpot makes both CoolReader and FBReader available on all the hardware that it currently supports. The Hanlin V3ext (6" EZReader) is one of the hardware platforms that can run OpenInkpot. The Hanlin V3+ (6" EZReader Plus) can not run OpenInkpot.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #30
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PW1 + PW2, NOOK HD
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I second the delete option and maybe add a option to turn off the clock for those of us who don't even use it.
1. Delete from device
2. Ability to search bookshelf
booknut is offline   Reply With Quote