Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #31
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
I agree that price is impotant too, since i don't have a bottomles purse of gold-vomiting either.
I jumped in circles out from happiness as I actually saw, that one of the german web bookstore sellers had lowered the price of (black) bebook minis (5") from 189 € (bebook takes 10 more) to 159,95 €

but nevertheless, none of the "we do it our way" devices be it a proprietary way of connectivity, or limits (or even control - 1984) in media injection onto the device have ever been on my "observe list"
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:03 PM   #32
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Davimee:

Great question and I am glad you brought it up. I am not allowed to talk bad about a competitor so I have to talk nice.

Yes, it is depressing for Astak to see B&N and Amazon firing guns at each other. Astak is a rowboat caught between battleships. Reportedly, BOTH Kindle and Nook were already selling for less than they cost to manufacture. Now they are eatiing up even more loss. BUT... they can withstand this. IREX already declared bankruptcy and others are rumoured. Low-balling is illegal.

So... where does this leave Astak. We cannot lower our device prices as we need to remain viable now. We cannot afford to lose money. We will instead dwell on our eBook Store (www.EZread.com) and there we CAN and WILL compete. Our first shot there is an all new website-redesign by a professional firm with experience. The contract was signed!! We will continue to push hard to have more innovation on that site: PayPal, Wish List, Forum, Author Interviews, contests, and more.

Yes, but what about devices? We have at least two models in the pipeline: the EZ Reader PLUS and a PROPOSED new Keyboard Touchscreen Wi-Fi Note-Taker that I am not allowed to detail at all. Please do not ask yet!! Both are 6 inch!! Our MID 7 inch is still firmly planned and will knock the stuffing out of tablets. We will not get in the price war. We will have to compete on value alone!

So, are these price wars beneficial to the end user! Well, as most innovation comes for small to mid-sized makers and this price war could put them out of the business... leaving the Big Two to then RAISE prices... I argue that point!! In the long-run it will hurt end users! In the short-run it may be illegal!

We are anything but fretting and remain full of enthusiasm. We will continue to be here; and we will continue providing the best in service and value.

Robert I hate to tell you this but your bookstore simply does not compare to the competition. Hard to navigate, limited choices. Going no where. I dont mean to discourage but you may need to think of other options to stay viable.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #33
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
another post said B&N is shipping the Wi-Fi only Nook internationally as well..
apparently not the case anymore...
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:16 AM   #34
lanceman
lanceman began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
I am a happy EZReader owner. As a consumer, I'd like to see good competitions that bring EBook reader price to a more popular range. As a gadget lover, however, I'd like to see more innovations (hardware or software) showing up instead of just sticking to the established practice. The pricing war between B&N and Amazon will definitely put big impact on smaller players like Astak. I can only give them my best wishes because I like my EZReader and I appreciate the endeavors that Robert contributed to this forum.

IMHO, EZReader is definitely not a pretty gadget comparing to other big names like Kindle, Sony Reader, Nook, ... etc. And don't forget iPad. I recently got one. It's gorgeous. I am no Apple fanboy. Actually this iPad is my first Apple device. But even for a first timer like me, I fell in love with everything it offered within an hour. But, whenever I may need to spend some good time reading books somewhere, I always bring my EZReader. Why? Because, pragmatically, it's the best fit. Its weight, its size, its multi-format support and its good organization implementations... etc. all make it stands out to be a sharp, practical ebook reader. Yes, design wise, it's a long way to close to the fascination that iPad can give. (Well, they are not at the same price level though) But it works. And it works well for its purpose.

I don't think to compete in contents will do any good to Astak. Because Amazon and B&N are the de facto biggest online/physical bookstores. It's just my personal opinion, but I don't think people would spend more time to look up/buy a ebook from a much smaller store just because they bought a reader from there. Unless there is a unique connection (Like iTunes to iPod), a unbeatable price advantage or a find-no-where-else niche, majority of people will go with big names.

Anyway, I still wish Astak the best and find its own way to survive the tough market. Long live EZReader!
lanceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #35
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
well i'd have left the pad and similar devices out of comparison, since everything with light and refresh rates is a different experience than electronic paper replacement.

if ppl read books on devices like that ( colour "high-glossy" lighting GLARE DISPLAY )
well their own fault. I saw this thing and wouldnt' ever buy it explicitly for books even if it d cost just 50€. when you have a look at new tech polls (2 currently running) you may notice that there are enough people out who don't want a device they bought for reading being crammed with everything, included kitchensink - no wifi, 3g, FM-radio, phone, camera and phaser.
keep in mind that its about ereader and not "nearly all purpose devices"

I'd bet with you, if they d try to do that they d loose customers a legion, since the outcom would be "not yet really multi purpose device" + "no longer an ebook reader"

what I can second is oncdoc's remark, that the shop needs better navigation
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #36
tmgplc
Enthusiast
tmgplc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire 7" (2014)
I have been a very happy owner of the EZ Reader Pro since it first came out. My wife now wants an ereader and is looking at the Nook and Kindle because of the price drop. Personally, I think neither device is as easy to use or organize as the EZ Reader Pro. Navigating around the Nook is a real pain because you are constantly switching between a 4 line touchscreen and a eink display. I love how I can choose the folder organization for my ebooks and it works with just about any format out there. I could care less about wifi or 3g on a dedicated ereader because how often do I really need to randomly download a book while I am away from my computer. EZ Reader has an SD card and user replaceable battery and the Kindle does not and I am not sure about the Nook. I wouldn't trade my EZ Reader for either the Kindle or Nook. Keep up the great work Robert B and Astak. I support and will continue to support Astak because they make a superior product, at a competitive price and provide solid customer service!
tmgplc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #37
Trini
Connoisseur
Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs650
I believe Astak and other smaller ereader maufacturers like pocketbook etc. will feel the pinch if this "price war" lasts for a while. Although I haven't made up my mind about which ereader to finally purchase as I'm still waiting on the Astak Plus and pocketbook 600's to make a decision. However the longer they take to release new models the more of the marketplace Nook and Kindle gains.

That being said Astak needs to improve their hardware. Compared to the nook, pocketbook 302 etc Astak devices looks very outdated. The main reason I would buy the Astak etc. is because they're more "open" than say a Nook/ Kindle. However I would be hesitant to pay $50-100 extra for open software.

Last edited by Trini; 06-23-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #38
Fincary
Fincary began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise-1150; Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro; Nook
I like my 5" Pez, but I really wanted a 6" reader when I bought it. I stayed away from the 6" ezreader because of the older technology. The 6" ezreader plus is exactly what I was looking for. I would have dropped the cash for it right away. Unfortunatly, it still isn't released, and now with the lower prices on the Nook/Kindle, it is no longer a "no brainer" purchase for me.

The only feature (that I care about) that the ezreader plus has over the Nook is folder navigation. Multiple formats do not matter to me- I covert everything to epub with Calibre anyway. User replaceable battery - Nook has one. Screen size - both are 6". Both have a media card slot, but the Nook also has more internal memory.

The goofy little touchscreen on the Nook does nothing for me. I read one book at a time. I don't take notes or need a dictionary. I just want to be able to easily transport multiple novels with me when I travel and read my books.

The features between the two are about the same, so next it comes to price. I don't know if I can justify to myself paying what? $70? more to buy a ezreader plus over a nook wifi (3g being another feature I don't care about) just for folder navigation.

I feel for Astak here as I really like their products, but they are going to have to work out some deal with the factory, and get their prices competitive again.
Fincary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #39
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Thank you for Honest Opinion but wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
Robert I hate to tell you this but your bookstore simply does not compare to the competition. Hard to navigate, limited choices. Going no where. I dont mean to discourage but you may need to think of other options to stay viable.
Dear oncdoc:

No, it certainly does not yet. We are doing a complete redesign and adding many new features. Our prices are very low and we have authors that others do not. The choices are due to the Agency Model and that will be solved almost immediately. I agree about hard to navigate and this will be a big part of the redesign!

I hear you. I happen to agree. We need to move faster and we will!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #40
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Improve Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini View Post
I believe Astak and other smaller ereader maufacturers like pocketbook etc. will feel the pinch if this "price war" lasts for a while. Although I haven't made up my mind about which ereader to finally purchase as I'm still waiting on the Astak Plus and pocketbook 600's to make a decision. However the longer they take to release new models the more of the marketplace Nook and Kindle gains.

That being said Astak needs to improve their hardware. Compared to the nook, pocketbook 302 etc Astak devices looks very outdated. The main reason I would buy the Astak etc. is because they're more "open" than say a Nook/ Kindle. However I would be hesitant to pay $50-100 extra for open software.
Dear Trini:

We DO have VERY new models coming out soon. However, looks can be deceiving. The Pocket PRO is still a marvelous eBook Reader today and will continue to be one. Have you heard of anybody else like the Big 2 offering a quality case and ear buds in the box? I agree that we do neet to keep modernizing... and we are... but there is more to hardware than just a pretty shell. What we want are hopefully really new devices with really new concepts behind them. Such will be the Mobile Internet Device 7 inch named "Spectrum".

This entire thing is VERY rough. It would be very easy for us to throw in the towel and get OUT of the business. We have other lines to sell. Right now there are people who really value the open approach of Astak to the corporate snob of other manufacturers. For that reason we keep slugging away. Yes, sometimes I would like to give up and move on. I just have faith that enough people will see that service and hard work outweigh an illegal move by the competition! You cannot "DUMP" product into the market at lower than your cost and that is what is being done!
Old 06-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #41
Robertb

I third it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
well i'd have left the pad and similar devices out of comparison, since everything with light and refresh rates is a different experience than electronic paper replacement.

if ppl read books on devices like that ( colour "high-glossy" lighting GLARE DISPLAY )
well their own fault. I saw this thing and wouldnt' ever buy it explicitly for books even if it d cost just 50€. when you have a look at new tech polls (2 currently running) you may notice that there are enough people out who don't want a device they bought for reading being crammed with everything, included kitchensink - no wifi, 3g, FM-radio, phone, camera and phaser.
keep in mind that its about ereader and not "nearly all purpose devices"

I'd bet with you, if they d try to do that they d loose customers a legion, since the outcom would be "not yet really multi purpose device" + "no longer an ebook reader"

what I can second is oncdoc's remark, that the shop needs better navigation
Dear Freeshadow:

Fully agree!! The bookstore DOES need better navigation. I wish the walls here could talk or you would know how much I scream the same point to management. Buttons that do not work and other idiocies are frustrating and we have got to get this done!! They are moving on it now!!
Old 06-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #42
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Robert, I know that the EZreader reads like 20 different formats, does it have the ability to read Sony's old BBeB/LRF?

All of my books are either BBeB/LRF. epubs, pdfs, or my own converted word docs to RTF.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #43
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
RobertB, I went out and looked at a Nook today. Just made me like my Astak even more. The only problem I have from your business sense is since I've already bought two (one for backup), it's hard for me to support your firm with more sales...

By the by, are there any more firmware upgrades in the pipeline for the original Astak reader?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #44
dbrowdy
Enthusiast
dbrowdy is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincary View Post
I like my 5" Pez, but I really wanted a 6" reader when I bought it. I stayed away from the 6" ezreader because of the older technology. The 6" ezreader plus is exactly what I was looking for. I would have dropped the cash for it right away. Unfortunatly, it still isn't released, and now with the lower prices on the Nook/Kindle, it is no longer a "no brainer" purchase for me.

The only feature (that I care about) that the ezreader plus has over the Nook is folder navigation. Multiple formats do not matter to me- I covert everything to epub with Calibre anyway. User replaceable battery - Nook has one. Screen size - both are 6". Both have a media card slot, but the Nook also has more internal memory.

The goofy little touchscreen on the Nook does nothing for me. I read one book at a time. I don't take notes or need a dictionary. I just want to be able to easily transport multiple novels with me when I travel and read my books.

The features between the two are about the same, so next it comes to price. I don't know if I can justify to myself paying what? $70? more to buy a ezreader plus over a nook wifi (3g being another feature I don't care about) just for folder navigation.

I feel for Astak here as I really like their products, but they are going to have to work out some deal with the factory, and get their prices competitive again.
This analysis is pretty much spot on for me too. I feel for the small guys and I'm holding off on my decision for a week or two to see how they'll react, but the longer they wait, the more people will be buying the $150 Nook. :-/
dbrowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #45
wutugu
wutugu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear oncdoc:

No, it certainly does not yet. We are doing a complete redesign and adding many new features. Our prices are very low and we have authors that others do not. The choices are due to the Agency Model and that will be solved almost immediately. I agree about hard to navigate and this will be a big part of the redesign!

I hear you. I happen to agree. We need to move faster and we will!
Hi Robert, is Astak planning to add dictionary support to Mentor lite?
wutugu is offline   Reply With Quote