Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by booknut View Post
New firmware at http://files.mail.ru/W2XCYS or at

http://content5.files.mail.ru/W2XCYS...63309d646790d0

called v5setup-cr3-20100528.zip. I know nothing about this version, just popped up today, supplied by Buggins, use at your own risk. I think the connection problem may have been fixed, I'll report on that later.
Thanks in advance for the report. Connection was the reason I rolled back.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:53 AM   #17
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PW1 + PW2, NOOK HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Thanks in advance for the report. Connection was the reason I rolled back.
Yeah, as I said, the update went fine but I now have an empty screen only showing the little dotted line at the bottom. According to that line, the reader should be ready but the rest of the screen remains empty, so I had to go back to version 520 (no PC connection) or version 513.
booknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #18
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Yeah, as I said, the update went fine but I now have an empty screen only showing the little dotted line at the bottom. According to that line, the reader should be ready but the rest of the screen remains empty, so I had to go back to version 520 (no PC connection) or version 513.
Arghhhhhhhh, my update went fine and the USB connection works again, BUT Buggins put this new CoolReader image on the Chinese firmware that has no display contrast control setting. I was just getting used to having reasonably good contrast on my V5, so I rolled back to 513 again.

FWIW, Buggins said that this firmware drop fixed a few CoolReader bugs and improved the EPUB support in CoolReader. I guess I will just have to wait until he gets around to putting the CoolReader on the base firmware that has the display control settings menu option.

Last edited by Dave_S; 05-28-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: ADD INFO
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #19
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

How did you manage to make the update work? I went back to version 513, then went to 520 and then to 528 several times and no luck so far.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #20
booknut
Zealot

Somewhere in the Russian forum is a note on just placing the coolreader update on the ereader and I think this was in reference to the version 528 firmware but between the Google translation and my non-existing Russian language skills I was unable to figure out how to do this with the bin file from the latest update.
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #21
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How did you manage to make the update work? I went back to version 513, then went to 520 and then to 528 several times and no luck so far.
If that question was to me, then I really do not know. The update just worked. I just did the download a few hours ago, so maybe Buggins did a stealth bug fix?

When I did the update to 528 the bookshelf came up in Russian instead of the English that it was set up to prior to the update. I do not recall that happening before, so there is definitely something different about this 528 package. If you read Buggins' post you may recall that he wrote that he had not actually tested the firmware on his V5 because his V5 is dead?
I am going to keep watch on that thread because I would like to get a firmware that has the CoolReader improvements AND has the bookshelf settings menu option that improves the display contrast.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #22
booknut
Zealot

Thanks for the info, Dave_S!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #23
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Somewhere in the Russian forum is a note on just placing the coolreader update on the ereader and I think this was in reference to the version 528 firmware but between the Google translation and my non-existing Russian language skills I was unable to figure out how to do this with the bin file from the latest update.
It is REALLY SIMPLE to do, but you do NOT use the v5setup.bin file for that. You need to download just the CoolReader executable image:
http://files.mail.ru/ZNH9BA

When you unzip and untar that file down to the .cr3 folder, just copy that .cr3 folder to the root of your internal storage or to the root of your SD storage. The next time that you start CoolReader it will look for that folder and launch itself from there instead of from the CoolReader image inside the firmware. It is a really handy way to try new CoolReader features without having to reflash the entire firmware. Not sure that I would want to have to do that all the time, but it is one way that I can have the latest CoolReader and still have the bookshelf settings option for display control.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #24
booknut
Zealot

Sounds easy enough, is your link also good for V5? I finally got the latest firmware to work (had to reformat the HD) but will go back to version 13 and then try the hint by Dave_S about just copying the cr engine. Version 528 is just too buggy.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #25
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Sounds easy enough, is your link also good for V5?
Oops, SORRY!

I copied the wrong link, since I also tried it with my V3.
Here is the V5 link.
http://files.mail.ru/2DL7PE
Old 05-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #26
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Oops, SORRY!

I copied the wrong link, since I also tried it with my V3.
Here is the V5 link.
http://files.mail.ru/2DL7PE
ok im confused. the first post was v5 right? i used that on my ppro and all is good. so what is this one?v3?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:22 AM   #27
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
ok im confused. the first post was v5 right? i used that on my ppro and all is good. so what is this one?v3?
cr3-v3-20100528.tar.gz is for the Hanlin V3 (EZReader)
cr3-v5-20100528.tar.gz is for the Hanlin V5 (PocketPRO)

I don't know what the differences would be at the application level, but those are the zipped tarballs that Buggins posted.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:48 AM   #28
aegeus
Enthusiast
aegeus began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
cr3-v3-20100528.tar.gz is for the Hanlin V3 (EZReader)
cr3-v5-20100528.tar.gz is for the Hanlin V5 (PocketPRO)

I don't know what the differences would be at the application level, but those are the zipped tarballs that Buggins posted.
Dear Dave_S,

Thanks for the posting up; I have downloaded the latest Cool Reader engine and put it in the root of my SD Card. It now shows "Cool Reader 3.0.30" right?

Everything seems fine so far, other then the connection issue, but I am not connecting my device from USB anyway.

If only Astak would provide us these improvements.

Regards.
aegeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #29
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
thanks dave.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #30
booknut
Zealot

Worked like a charm! Have to remember this for future firmware updates when I like to update coolreader and nothing else. Thanks Dave_S!