Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #46
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Are (Our) devices are the same as their devices. It is not the device but sending them some flaky books to test will might be ok. Also just saying it is broke is no good for a programmer. Examples and exactly what does work is in order with duplicateable step by step process.
That should make it a lot easier then.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #47
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
That can't be right? I tried to load a LIT file with Lbook and I had to push the RESET button on the back of the device.

Mind yew, I did only try it with that one file. I'll try another one!
Actually, I had that same problem. But after reseting 2 or 3 times (after the progress clock had cycled around its face 2 or 3 times and then stopped), I had no problem opening the same problematic LIT file repeatedly. I may have actually shut the reader down fully in between for other reasons in the interim. Anyhow--you may want to try again. (The fact that LIT files can crash the reader, period, isn't a great sign, and the LBook firmware is not immune to this problem.

All the best!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #48
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xochipilli2012 View Post
Actually, I had that same problem. But after reseting 2 or 3 times (after the progress clock had cycled around its face 2 or 3 times and then stopped), I had no problem opening the same problematic LIT file repeatedly. I may have actually shut the reader down fully in between for other reasons in the interim. Anyhow--you may want to try again. (The fact that LIT files can crash the reader, period, isn't a great sign, and the LBook firmware is not immune to this problem.

All the best!
I was able to get some LIT files to load, but the poor zoom options and hyphenation pretty much turned me off to it. Still, the fact that works at all is a step in the right direction...
Old 04-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #49
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Thomas:

The factory engineers do the changes. I ask for changes to be made in very simple bullet points like:

"The .LIT still is not working well and numerous people say it is not working at all. Please find the problem and fix it."

Then, weeks later, the factory tells me a new FI is coming and I ask what is on there and they say:

"we improve .LIT to work"
and there, in a nutshell is your problem. That is not a suitable way to report software faults that need correcting, and their response is not a suitable way to document what has been fixed. Your company and the "factory" need to drastically improve communications! You need a proper bug/enhancement reporting/tracking system at the very least.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #50
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
and there, in a nutshell is your problem. That is not a suitable way to report software faults that need correcting, and their response is not a suitable way to document what has been fixed. Your company and the "factory" need to drastically improve communications! You need a proper bug/enhancement reporting/tracking system at the very least.
Yes. Then we can talk about adding the 9 zoom options.
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 02:10 AM   #51
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Well the new Astak FW still has some issues... I was not able to use USER Fonts for the main menu.. with cool reader is was ok. But,.txt and rtf did not seem to work either...So, I went back to the lbook software. rtf. txt works with coolreader and the user fonts work for the main menu... and the buttons work every time I press them ...they dont always on the astak fw... tis a pity I would like to have the Astak FW too bad about .lit format...

though I never use that format...prefer epub, pdf or fb2

Last edited by hidari; 04-09-2010 at 02:13 AM.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:31 AM   #52
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Just downloaded the firmware, and will flash my PEz when I get home this morning.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #53
Xochipilli2012
Zealot

Calibre for converting LIT files

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
I was able to get some LIT files to load, but the poor zoom options and hyphenation pretty much turned me off to it. Still, the fact that works at all is a step in the right direction...
I know this is almost "OT" but I thought I'd mention that converting LIT to EPUB or some other format might be the best option until Jinke or someone else comes up with a better fix for the V5 family of readers.

I tried converting a test LIT file into both EPUB and LRF formats (for my Sony) and I was astonished at how much nicer the book became--not only did most of the weird font, character, and word-spacing issues go away--but ILLUSTRATIONS appeared that I had no idea were even in the book to start with.

Anyhow...just thought I'd mention it.

(And yeah--it would be nice if every format listed on the Astak box was rendered nicely...but... I still love my Pocket Pro's ability to read so many different formats without conversion. That's a heck of a convenience. But I think LIT may just be worth the extra step of converting to something else.)

Cheers!

Last edited by Xochipilli2012; 04-14-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 04-11-2010, 11:35 PM   #54
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
If Dale's gone through and tested it thoroughly, then I'm going to download it and update my PP.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:29 AM   #55
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Has there been any developments with the toggle button on the right side? With the Dec firmware you can adjust the volume with up/down, however when you push it in the mp3 stops and the only way to start playing again is to exit the book and go back to the menu to select the mp3. Apparently pushing in the button was going to give additional functionality for playing mp3s while reading, but as of Dec this hasn't happened (other than stop).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #56
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
If Dale's gone through and tested it thoroughly, then I'm going to download it and update my PP.
Apparently Dale forgot to check the LIT files. Heh.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #57
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Scroll wheel music volume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Has there been any developments with the toggle button on the right side? With the Dec firmware you can adjust the volume with up/down, however when you push it in the mp3 stops and the only way to start playing again is to exit the book and go back to the menu to select the mp3. Apparently pushing in the button was going to give additional functionality for playing mp3s while reading, but as of Dec this hasn't happened (other than stop).
Dear Solicitous:

The way it now works is that WHEN you are playing MP3 the scroll wheel automatically changes to control the volume instead of page turning.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #58
Xochipilli2012
Zealot

Dale shouldn't have been expected to do it all on his own.

If Astak really had its act together, they would be paying closer attention to what happens on this forum, as it would provide them a huge amount of Business Intelligence, at no cost to them.

And Goddess love Robertb for trying to be so helpful, but he's a sales guy, not a technical guy. It's wonderful having him on here, but he doesn't really have any serious pull when it comes to getting stuff done on the technical side.

Even with all their (apparent) blunders, Astak remains well-positioned to be very competitive in the US eReader marketplace.

I adore my Pocket Pro and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.

But Astak could be doing so much better.

Then again, Sony doesn't seem to be paying close attention to the Sony board here at MR either, even though they (allegedly) monitor it. People are hacking the PRS firmware too, adding features that Sony could have included from the start. But Sony enjoys the distinct advantage of being much better known than Astak, along having more money with which to market its products.

Cheers!
Old 04-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #59
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Solicitous:

The way it now works is that WHEN you are playing MP3 the scroll wheel automatically changes to control the volume instead of page turning.
Hi Robert,

I understand that, I was under the impression that when playing a mp3, pushing in the scroll wheel will bring additional functionality. Currently all it does is stop the current mp3 playing. Is there any way with the new firmware to continue playing the mp3 (once stopped) without having to exit the current book and from the bookshelf select the mp3, then re-open the book to continue reading?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #60
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Dale was the Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xochipilli2012 View Post
Dale shouldn't have been expected to do it all on his own.

If Astak really had its act together, they would be paying closer attention to what happens on this forum, as it would provide them a huge amount of Business Intelligence, at no cost to them.

And Goddess love Robertb for trying to be so helpful, but he's a sales guy, not a technical guy. It's wonderful having him on here, but he doesn't really have any serious pull when it comes to getting stuff done on the technical side.

Even with all their (apparent) blunders, Astak remains well-positioned to be very competitive in the US eReader marketplace.

I adore my Pocket Pro and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.

But Astak could be doing so much better.

Then again, Sony doesn't seem to be paying close attention to the Sony board here at MR either, even though they (allegedly) monitor it. People are hacking the PRS firmware too, adding features that Sony could have included from the start. But Sony enjoys the distinct advantage of being much better known than Astak, along having more money with which to market its products.

Cheers!
Dear Xochipilli:

Dale was the beta tester. Astak DID test on its own. We seem to be seeing very few problems with the new firmware upgrade.

We are trying to get better. What is wrong? I am reading the posts. I know that some still cannot find relief fot .LIT. I am already arguing with the factory which keeps swearing .LIT works fine. What I need is bulletpoints on what is wrong with the new firmware upgrade so I can let the factory know.

I am not at all arguing with you. I know you mean only the best. I like you a lot on here! I know it could be better. Please list what is causing a problem now. I am as anxious as you to ensure all is right. I do know Dale liked it and felt good about it.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote