Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #46
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Does it look better, in your opinion?

Don
On the few files I tried it on there were still spacing problems between text. It might be a little better but it looks like the it has problems with trying to interpret some LIT spacing conventions. LIT is more complicated that it seems on the surface due to attempts at typography embedded in the file structure.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #47
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Works absolutely perfect here.

Coolreader no longer uses /crengine for fonts, AFAIK only your custom CSS goes in there. I put all my Truetype fonts in the /fonts folder of my internal memory. I am not even sure that the fonts can be picked up from the SD, since I never saw anything like that mentioned on the CoolReader 3 thread at the-ebook.org where the developers and testers of this new CoolReader discuss the project. Has anybody following this thread got CoolReader to pick up fonts from the SD?
Yes, it works fine with the /fonts folder on an SD card. I find CoolReader works with renamed TXT, HTML, EPUB files as well as its RTF and FB2 files.

The only problem I have seen is I can't seem to save the preferred hot keys. I can set them but if I exit then they revert back. I also noted that inverse does not work properly but I never use that.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #48
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
I was just adding more fonts to my card. I noticed that the TTF ones wouldn't show, but would show once they were changed to ttf. Case sensitive.

One free font I am currently experimenting with is Adobe Minion Web. It is a serif font that is a touch thicker than the usual Times, etc. I think it looks a bit better than Gentium BB or Fontin though my preference is still for sans fonts. As for where to get it, it was originally distributed for free with Internet Explorer 4.0.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #49
cingkrab
cingkrab began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZReader Pro
Quote:
Are you sure that your fonts are named "something.ttf" and not "someting.TTF" ? Linux is case sensitive, and CoolReader expects lower case font file name extensions.

Unlike Sunspark, I have NEVER put font files on the SD card, and CoolReader picks them up just fine. BUT, I NEVER read from an SD card. I wonder if this difference indicates that the /fonts folder needs to be on whichever medium the book is being read from? IF that is true, then probably the /crengine folder needs to be used that way too.
Thank you! The case of the file extension was exactly the problem. I deleted the fonts folder on the internal storage, and both the menus and Cool Reader still maintained their font settings, so I'm pretty sure they're both using fonts off the SD card.
cingkrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:32 AM   #50
Semp
Enthusiast
Semp doesn't litterSemp doesn't litter

Device: EZReader packet pro
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cingkrab View Post
Hmm I copied the folder to the internal memory and Cool Reader 3 is still not picking it up. I read somewhere that Cool Reader 2 requires Cyrillic support from the font set. Is this still true? Maybe it's why it doesn't see the fonts.
folder "fonts" on SD card working perfectly with Cyrillic fonts
free DejaVu fonts http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download

@font-face {
font-family: "DejaVuSans", serif, sans-serif;
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///abook/fonts/DejaVuSerif.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///abook/fonts/DejaVuSerifbold.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-weight: normal;
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///abook/fonts/DejaVuSerifitalic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///abook/fonts/DejaVuSerifboldItalic.ttf);
}
Semp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #51
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Hey, Ho,.... goin back to the Astak March 3rd firmware, my battery died on me in two days from full to flat. Even worse than the March firmware... at least that could hold its own for a while...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #52
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Hey, Ho,.... goin back to the Astak March 3rd firmware, my battery died on me in two days from full to flat. Even worse than the March firmware... at least that could hold its own for a while...
Was it the Jinke firmware or the Lbook firmware that you say caused your battery problem? As far as the Lbook CoolReader firmware, there has been no mention of any battery problems in the the-ebook.org forum discussions on their firmware. I have to admit that I did not read all 173 pages of that discussion thread though. Concerning the Jinke firmware it is really curious that only a few people have battery problems and that it is not universal as was the case with the original Jinke PocketPRO firmware from last year that was not entering sleep mode correctly.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:21 AM   #53
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

mine is the jinke... Might go with the lbook one for a change... dancing firmwares this week.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #54
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Concerning the Jinke firmware it is really curious that only a few people have battery problems .
Not so curious really. It was a very small sample set of experiences. I expect it's a state it semi-randomly get's into, and some people just never happened to run into it. Mine went for ages with no problems then one day - bam - flat battery.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:34 AM   #55
hidari
MR Drone

Jusmee any chance you have a link to where I can get the December firmware... Kaser does not seem to have it....?
Old 04-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #56
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Not so curious really. It was a very small sample set of experiences. I expect it's a state it semi-randomly get's into, and some people just never happened to run into it. Mine went for ages with no problems then one day - bam - flat battery.
True, the sample set is obviously small since we would only hear about it here. However, that is what makes it curious, that a small sample set turns up an anomaly. To me, that would imply that the anomaly is significantly large across the full customer base, yet I do not recall anyone mentioning it on the BeBook site that uses the same Jinke firmware. I am not trying to rock anyone's boat, it is just that as a retired embedded systems electronic engineer it makes me very curious about what the cause could be. Retired being the key word there, as I have plenty of time on my hands.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #57
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
True, the sample set is obviously small since we would only hear about it here. However, that is what makes it curious, that a small sample set turns up an anomaly. To me, that would imply that the anomaly is significantly large across the full customer base, yet I do not recall anyone mentioning it on the BeBook site that uses the same Jinke firmware. I am not trying to rock anyone's boat, it is just that as a retired embedded systems electronic engineer it makes me very curious about what the cause could be. Retired being the key word there, as I have plenty of time on my hands.
I am about to retire soon too. Can't wait

I was thinking that the ones that struck battery problems might just have done something in common that the others didn't. Hard to track it down as we all went back to older firmware when we struck the problem. One thing a few of us did was to start renaming ePubs to fb2 so we could read them in the new coolreader. Something like that could be the common factor. Those without battery problems might not have done that.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #58
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Jusmee any chance you have a link to where I can get the December firmware... Kaser does not seem to have it....?
No sorry. I always keep the old ones because of this.

Why not try an lbook or even a BeBook firmware?
Old 04-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #59
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I am about to retire soon too. Can't wait

I was thinking that the ones that struck battery problems might just have done something in common that the others didn't. Hard to track it down as we all went back to older firmware when we struck the problem. One thing a few of us did was to start renaming ePubs to fb2 so we could read them in the new coolreader. Something like that could be the common factor. Those without battery problems might not have done that.
Congratulations!
I also did the EPUB trick with CoolReader but do not have any power drain problems, so I guess that I will just go back to sitting on the sidelines and watch how these battery drain problems work out. FWIW, I was wondering if the problem might have been associated with the TTS getting stuck on, since that would increase power drain significantly, but I think that TTS did not work in the March Jinke firmware.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #60
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
hidari: http://www.astak.com/download/v5setu...TAK.091201.rar But I really recommend you instead use the 20100330 lbook one in this thread. It is great.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote