Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 02-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #46
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Indecisive Me:

Two months ago somebody posted on a thread: "WELL, where is the January Firmware Upgrade?". This time I post that it is coming and people worry more about whether it is RAR or ZIP. Two months ago people were posting; "Jinke is deserting us!". Now you know they are not. Dale gave them a hell of a lot of things to make better and they have been trying to get that done. It was a lengthy list. You can use 7-ZIP on RAR and that is free. My God, let us stop worrying about RAR or ZIP and like Indecisive Me says: "be thankful that it is coming".

If Griffonwing was here right now he would barf chocolate sauce all over this thread!
An interesting post coming from a company that prides itself on listening to suggestions from it users.

Just a suggestion, but maybe you would like to update your video about the firmware installation. They mention a "zip" file and unzipping. Maybe in your FAQ you could mention 7Zip and provide a link.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:18 AM   #47
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf9511 View Post
I love CP/M and got all the through highschool with a Kaypro II and Kaypro 4 with WordStar and a Juki dasywheel printer. I still have my Kaypros in the closet and think at times about digging them out to use with my ham radios....
I convinced my dad to buy an Epson QX10 way back when, "because that new IBM PC/DOS probably won't survive in the marketplace". (Never-Ever believe investment advice I give :^) )

Use a Variac and bring up the power slowly. I just had a Spectacular PSU failure on a old Dell that had been closeted for part of the year.

The salvaged, spare PSU, I had on hand, Just whimpered when I put it back into service
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #48
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
The previous Astak releases were Zip files, as are firmware releases for BeBook and Jinke. (I checked this with Kaiser's list.) I don't know when Astak changed to RAR but believe it was after the 12/11 release because I installed them all using Unzip Wizard... including the Ukranian LBook release of 10/16.
No, I believe the Jinke/Astak releases have always been RAR. I un-RAR'd and ZIP'd them before adding them to my site, which is why they're in ZIP format there.

I suspect that the reason Jinke releases them in RAR is because they use unix/Linux on their development systems, and the RAR tool is more "freeware/native/common" from that point of view. Just a guess.
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #49
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Point taken well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
An interesting post coming from a company that prides itself on listening to suggestions from it users.

Just a suggestion, but maybe you would like to update your video about the firmware installation. They mention a "zip" file and unzipping. Maybe in your FAQ you could mention 7Zip and provide a link.
Dear John:

Yes, you are right. Maybe I sometimes come down too hard on a subject. I just wanted people to be happy that we ARE listening and the factory is cooperating and we are getting things done.

I have taken a copy of your post and sent it to the people who do the videos. We do not do enough videos and we were already talking that we should be doing more.

Also, I do the FAQ sheet upgrades and I will now add about 7-zip and the link onto the next FAQ change draft sheet.

It will not get posted immediately; but it will get posted within 3-6 weeks.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #50
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowboxer47 View Post
Pffftt... whatever, old man. We don't need you. We have the MS Office Ribbon!

OLD MAN? ACK! I'm only 45!
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #51
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf9511 View Post
I love CP/M and got all the through highschool with a Kaypro II and Kaypro 4 with WordStar and a Juki dasywheel printer. I still have my Kaypros in the closet and think at times about digging them out to use with my ham radios....
My own Kaypro is in the closet as well! I wrote most of the book to the left on it and it won an award and got me on Oprah. So those little boxes are not so bad!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #52
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I convinced my dad to buy an Epson QX10 way back when, "because that new IBM PC/DOS probably won't survive in the marketplace". (Never-Ever believe investment advice I give :^) )

Use a Variac and bring up the power slowly. I just had a Spectacular PSU failure on a old Dell that had been closeted for part of the year.

The salvaged, spare PSU, I had on hand, Just whimpered when I put it back into service
I had a QX10 for a while when I was living on the OSU campus. For me the DOS just wasn't with it. I ended up always going back to CP/M.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #53
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, I take it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
If Griffonwing were here right now this thread would be one page longer w/his off topic commentary. Come to think of it, undigested chocolate sauce may be preferable!
I find your remark disgusting and uncalled for.

I came across another free, very basic, small footprint, RAR extraction tool:
http://download.cnet.com/Free-RAR-Ex...?tag=mncol;pop

Consider this my last post in this forum.
d
Dear CharlieBird:

I was not trying to offend anyone. We had had about 40 comments on how to unzip and I was hoping just to move the topic back to the actual firmware upgrade.

Obviously, I handled that poorly and it came out all wrong. I am Sorry, Charlie. Your point is well taken.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #54
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
I had a QX10 for a while when I was living on the OSU campus. For me the DOS just wasn't with it. I ended up always going back to CP/M.
QX10 was native CP/M. You must have had the DOS add in board (also on the QX16). Solid machine. Even my dad could not screw it up
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:19 PM   #55
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Robertb - Will this new firmware make it possible to read LIT format on the reader?
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #56
Robertb

A really excellent question!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
Robertb - Will this new firmware make it possible to read LIT format on the reader?
Dear Laura:

It has been about 4 months since I brought up the LIT problem to the factory. At first all I got was "it only has problems with large files". But, several people on MobileRead denied this. The last I got was: "alright, I will have my engineers look into this".

I will today check on whether better support for LIT is part of the upgrade.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #57
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
QX10 was native CP/M. You must have had the DOS add in board (also on the QX16). Solid machine. Even my dad could not screw it up
My Kaypro in the closet also has the DOS add in board. If yew were running CP/M, yew could configure the DOS board to give yew an additional 256k RAM disk. In DOS, I think it ran DOS 2.11, and not very well. But the RAM disk was kewl and FAST, and I used it often.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #58
Gena01
Gena01 began at the beginning.

Device: Ez Reader 5" Pocket Pro
PDF support.

Are there any enhancements planned for PDF support for the EzReader Pro. I tried to put some Russian books in PDF format and the Adobe reader just came up blank. Had to switch to xpdf, but as mentioned in previous replies the options there are rather lacking. One of which is very limited selection of font sizes among other things.

Gena01
Gena01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #59
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Laura:

It has been about 4 months since I brought up the LIT problem to the factory. At first all I got was "it only has problems with large files". But, several people on MobileRead denied this. The last I got was: "alright, I will have my engineers look into this".

I will today check on whether better support for LIT is part of the upgrade.
Thanks. It would be great if this format was possible to read. Also better DOC support would be good.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #60
nikoro
nikoro began at the beginning.

Device: astak ez reader
Hi Robertb
Will this new firmware support files deleting/moving on the reader?
It will be so helpfull.
nikoro is offline   Reply With Quote