Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #16
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I do use 7-zip for opening RAR files. Winzip doesn't open RAR :
I've used WinZip to open .rar files before. This quote comes from the WinZip 14 Help file:

Quote:
RAR is a compression and archiving format. The compression technology is proprietary however the decompression technology is not. WinZip does not create .rar files, but WinZip can view and extract the contents of .rar files.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:54 PM   #17
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Winzip doesn't open RAR :
The CURRENT version, that I posted the link to, does open RAR files. However, since 7ZIP is free why bother with WinZIP.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #18
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Davimee:

Thank you!! I appreciate you posting that 7-ZIP will do the job on unzipping RAR files!!

That is great info!!
You're welcome.
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #19
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Nevertheless, zip is a format NATIVELY supported for Windows users and is available everywhere. Even though I am a linux user, I see the sense in using something most suitable for the largest market, i.e. Windows.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #20
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
In about 3 weeks with the new Firmware Upgrade we will be bringing up the latest version of FB2 and CoolReader.
WOOHOO!!! Robert you've made me one very happy person. Now time to convert all my epubs to FB2.

I have to say thanks for being here Robert and listening to our needs. Who only knows how many companies out there develop a product without listening to the needs/wants of the end-user.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #21
Ben0
Retired Field Engineer
Ben0 is on a distinguished road

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro, Ectaco JBL
It would be great if you could dis/re-enable PDF reflow so I wouldn't have to use my JBLite for tech documentation.
Ben0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #22
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
So, how has FB2 improved in the last 17 months? any ideas?
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #23
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Being here and listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
WOOHOO!!! Robert you've made me one very happy person. Now time to convert all my epubs to FB2.

I have to say thanks for being here Robert and listening to our needs. Who only knows how many companies out there develop a product without listening to the needs/wants of the end-user.
Dear Solicitous:

I look at this Designated Astak Forum differently than Sony or Kindke would. To me, this is the most learned bunch of experts on the planet regarding eBook Readers. Most of the people on here have owned or do still own many other eBook Readers. THEY KNOW and we do not. Astak is NOT a cornacopia of eBook Reader knowledge. MobileRead Forum is.

Just as the people on MobileRead Forum picked the colors of the Pocket PRO; they also raised hell that it did not have hyperlinks, needed longer battery life, still needs a dictionary, and should have a visable clock. All of these things we added and are working on the dictionary.

In the future, new Astak eBook Readers and new features and a new eBook Store will be coming out. Astak will again consult the experts at MobileRead Forum. I like to think that this is a partnership. I like to think that when we bring out something new that MobileRead Forum and Astak are bringing out something new. I think this is good business sense and cannot go along with the old and tired ways of: "we have a product... now buy the damned thing". I would rather get feedback and do things right. Astak is never going to be a Sony or a Kindle or a Barnes&Noble monster. They have a thousand engineers to come out with concepts. We do not. They can have failures... and Astak cannot. They have Payton Manning and Justin Timberlake to espouse thier products. We have me. We need to listen and change. We need to correct before we go before the less knowledgeable general public who might floor us with questions.

We listen because it is the only way to survive.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #24
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
WinRAR is also a free program.. http://download.cnet.com/WinRAR-32-b...-10007677.html

I'm not really sure why you're upset about an update coming in RAR format.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #25
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
WinRAR is also a free program.. http://download.cnet.com/WinRAR-32-b...-10007677.html

I'm not really sure why you're upset about an update coming in RAR format.

Why force users to download and install 3rd party software, when the operating system has inbuilt ability to handle archive files (if you use the appropriate format) ?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #26
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Why force users to download and install 3rd party software, when the operating system has inbuilt ability to handle archive files (if you use the appropriate format) ?

If you do not want to use the third party software then do not upgrade your reader. Astak is under no obligation go give you a FW upgrade. They are and if one must take a side step to do so; then so be it. IF not you have a good reader and can enjoy it as is.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #27
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Well I prefer to be forced to install a 3rd party application to install my firmware versus being forced to run a particular operating system to install the firmware. If you look at the Sony readers they are either .exe (Windows executable) or .dmg (some MacOSX format. Fancy that, a Linux-based device is unable to be updated via Linux, it requires a proprietary operating system...oh the hypocrisy!!!!

If you were required to PURCHASE a 3rd party application...different story. .rar is just a compression algorithm, and just because Windows doesn't support it natively doesn't make it inferior.

Same argument could be asked why people send .doc, need a 3rd party piece of software for that, why not just send .rtf?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Dear CharlieBird:

As you can imagine, it is not always easy to get clear info from 7,000 miles away as I speak no Mandarin and they speak/write what is known as "Small English".

We assume that all future Firmware Upgrades will be in RAR. This is largely because WINRAR and WINZIP will both work with that format. We could likely unzip it here and put it into another format... but that may present more problems if we have to update the Upgrade.

I would expect it will be posted in RAR.
WinRAR will open Zip files.
The Reverse is NOT TRUE
Windows before XP did not natively open ZIP files. You had to buy a program like Winzip (Nag ware if you use it in Free mode)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #29
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
The previous Astak releases were Zip files, as are firmware releases for BeBook and Jinke. (I checked this with Kaiser's list.) I don't know when Astak changed to RAR but believe it was after the 12/11 release because I installed them all using Unzip Wizard... including the Ukranian LBook release of 10/16.

Certainly Astak can use whatever format they want. My question was simply why change when, that I recall, there were no complaints on the Zip format.

Out of curiosity I just downloaded the LBook firmware from last October and it is now an RAR file. I should have paid closer attention to Robertb's response explaining that the format is set by Jinke.
Guess I'll go download 7zip or WinRAR!
d

Last edited by CharlieBird; 02-24-2010 at 05:40 AM.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #30
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben0 View Post
It would be great if you could dis/re-enable PDF reflow so I wouldn't have to use my JBLite for tech documentation.
Can't you still select xpdf as an option? When in a PDF, select xpdf from the setup menu. This will be in effect until you switch back to Adobe Digital Editions (which means you can't open a DRMed PDF while in xpdf mode).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote