Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
New firmware upgrade in about 3 weeks and FB2

Dear All:

I heard from the factory last night that a new firmware upgrade will be coming in about 3-4 weeks. Dale DePriest had asked them to make some changes and they feel they will have those changes done at that time. I have no specifics on whether this will be for the Pocket PRO only or will include the 6 inch EZ Reader also. It likely will be for both in my guess.

Also, Dale had pointed out to me that the version of FB2 on our devices is about 17 months old or more. The factory is getting the new version of FB2 and hopes to have it ready for this coming upgrade.

As we get closer I will have more specifics. I just wanted you to know that the factory is still cooperating fully and trying to make the devices even better!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
RobertB, what format will future upgrades be in? RAR?
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Also, Dale had pointed out to me that the version of FB2 on our devices is about 17 months old or more. The factory is getting the new version of FB2 and hopes to have it ready for this coming upgrade.
Just for the record, FB2 (aka FictionBook 2) is an ebook format, not a program. CoolReader is the application that your reader uses to read FB2 files, as well as other formats. It certainly is correct that the CoolReader on the PocketPRO is much older than the CoolReader on the Lbook version of the firmware though.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

RAR??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
RobertB, what format will future upgrades be in? RAR?
d
Dear CharlieBird:

As you can imagine, it is not always easy to get clear info from 7,000 miles away as I speak no Mandarin and they speak/write what is known as "Small English".

We assume that all future Firmware Upgrades will be in RAR. This is largely because WINRAR and WINZIP will both work with that format. We could likely unzip it here and put it into another format... but that may present more problems if we have to update the Upgrade.

I would expect it will be posted in RAR.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Robertb

Thank you Dave S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Just for the record, FB2 (aka FictionBook 2) is an ebook format, not a program. CoolReader is the application that your reader uses to read FB2 files, as well as other formats. It certainly is correct that the CoolReader on the PocketPRO is much older than the CoolReader on the Lbook version of the firmware though.
Dear Dave_S:

Thank you. I did not know that; but our techs will and the factory will know. I am sure that the firmware upgrade will update the CoolReader to current also.

Every day I am on here. I know a lot about our product from a Sales and Business Development standpoint... but I am the first to admit I am not a tech. I turn to my techs when you have technical questions... and I always try to get answers and facts.

I am always happy and thankful when someone corrects me!!
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I am always happy and thankful when someone corrects me!!
I am very happy that I was able to help then.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

We assume that all future Firmware Upgrades will be in RAR. This is largely because WINRAR and WINZIP will both work with that format. We could likely unzip it here and put it into another format... but that may present more problems if we have to update the Upgrade.

I would expect it will be posted in RAR.
I use Winzip, and it DOES NOT open RAR files. XP has built in support for zip files. Please think of your Windows customers and use zip (or at least offer both).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
irenas
Zealot
irenas began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ reader
Quote:
Is CoolReader a standart app for Astak EZ readers? Or it is something that one can use instead of the pre-loaded one?
irenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by irenas View Post
Is CoolReader a standart app for Astak EZ readers?
It is standard. As Dave_S points out, if you want to try a more recent version immediately then load the LBook firmware. For the EZ Reader Basic, you could also try New Firm Tirwal 2.7 TripleBoot - xPDF - FBReader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #10
irenas
Zealot
irenas began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ reader
Well, i am not comfortable to change a firmware on my reader yet... I am fine with what it has for now but in future will certainly follow your advices.
irenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I use Winzip, and it DOES NOT open RAR files. XP has built in support for zip files. Please think of your Windows customers and use zip (or at least offer both).
I downloaded a free program called 7-zip, and it works great for RAR files.
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #12
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Since RAR is becoming a very common archive format, a free program like 7ZIP makes it quite painless to open RAR archives. BUT, WinZIP also opens RAR archives.
http://www.winzip.com/prodpagewz.htm
Old 02-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Since RAR is becoming a very common archive format, a free program like 7ZIP makes it quite painless to open RAR archives. BUT, WinZIP also opens RAR archives.
http://www.winzip.com/prodpagewz.htm
I do use 7-zip for opening RAR files. Winzip doesn't open RAR :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zip.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	46267  
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #14
Robertb

"7-ZIP" works on RAR!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
I downloaded a free program called 7-zip, and it works great for RAR files.
Dear Davimee:

Thank you!! I appreciate you posting that 7-ZIP will do the job on unzipping RAR files!!

That is great info!!
Old 02-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
Robertb

You won't have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irenas View Post
Well, i am not comfortable to change a firmware on my reader yet... I am fine with what it has for now but in future will certainly follow your advices.
Dear Irenas:

In about 3 weeks with the new Firmware Upgrade we will be bringing up the latest version of FB2 and CoolReader.

Do not feel rushed. You have plenty of time to get up to speed on upgrading firmware. Full instructions are on our FAQ sheet at: www.theEZreader.com under "support". This is actually VERY easy to do.