Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #31
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Hey. Don't knock the Chocolate Gravy. It's the best! (but the Whisky helps, too) *hic*
Y'all are doing better than I am. I can't even FIND the new firmware!
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #32
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
http://www.theezreader.com/html/support_firmware.asp

it's just you can download it yet, need username and password.
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #33
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Finding the new firmware upgrade

Quote:
Dear Thomas:

The latest Firmware Upgrade can be found on www.theEZreader.com under "support".

It will be the one marked 12-10-09

Right now you may not see much as the webmaster is working on it.

Y'all give it a few more hours and all should be right!!

(and... being from the South and Midwest myself... I use "y'all" with fondness and respect, sir!!)

Y'all come back now, y'hear!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #34
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
It has been removed until they can fix it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #35
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:
n it.

This is a LARGE firmware upgrade so it poses some problems to get on the website.
How is it larger Robert? Every one I have tried so far is the same 127MB in size.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #36
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Larger by double

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
How is it larger Robert? Every one I have tried so far is the same 127MB in size.
The new Firmware Upgrade is more than 300MB. As FUs go, this is a lot!

I guess putting a visable clock on there was no small amount of work! OR... putting support of three other languages are accounting for the larger size!
Old 12-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #37
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
The new Firmware Upgrade is more than 300MB. As FUs go, this is a lot!

I guess putting a visable clock on there was no small amount of work! OR... putting support of three other languages are accounting for the larger size!
This looks like a perfect use for a (legal) Bittorrent distribution.
If Astak would run the "tracker" to control the validity of the download, Astak's bandwidth hit would drop dramatically.
( I routinely seed the Baen CD ISO collection, one more won't kill me)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #38
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
I have a probably stupid question.

Is it possible to block the languages and fonts a person would never use from the firmware updates?...or in the alternative, remove them after installation?
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #39
Robertb

Remember... these devices are worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post

Is it possible to block the languages and fonts a person would never use from the firmware updates?...or in the alternative, remove them after installation?
d
Dear CharlieBird:

The question is intelligent, my answer is dumb.

I really do not know. I know WHY they put all the languages onthe devices. These devices sell all over the globe. Even in the USA there are at least 7 main ethnic groups that read in their own tongue, besides English. So, nobody has ever asked. I will try to find out ... but why remove them? They do no harm at all that I can see and if you ever sell it to buy a new Astak device they may well enhance your potential buyers.

They really just sit in settings doing nothing until you need to use them.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:15 PM   #40
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post

d
Silly question back at you

What are you going to do with the space you "save"?
It is not available to a normal user

I think that some of the reason the update is so large, is that the flash loader only works on fixed load sizes. 127, 254, 383
The whole jump would be needed even if it was 16 bytes into the next block.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #41
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Dear CharlieBird:

The question is intelligent, my answer is dumb.

I really do not know. I know WHY they put all the languages onthe devices. These devices sell all over the globe. Even in the USA there are at least 7 main ethnic groups that read in their own tongue, besides English. So, nobody has ever asked. I will try to find out ... but why remove them? They do no harm at all that I can see and if you ever sell it to buy a new Astak device they may well enhance your potential buyers.

They really just sit in settings doing nothing until you need to use them.
The only way it would be a benefit is if it increased the available RAM for books once yew removed the languages? Would that happen? Usually the ROM and the RAM are separate so there would be no effect one way or the other.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #42
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Yes the volume toggle thing would be a lot better if it had been short flip for page turn, Flip hold for volume up/down, Ahh well maybe the next firmware, Bad decision on the programmers side.
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #43
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I still don't see the ability to download this upgrade. Has anybody got a copy they could post so I can download it.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #44
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I still don't see the ability to download this upgrade. Has anybody got a copy they could post so I can download it.
No Joy yet. If I force the download file URL, I get the password box.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #45
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I don't get it? Now there are NO updates for the Pocket Pro? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

I also don't really understand what the problem is with the username and password. I know a bit about HTML programming, and the username/password has nothing at all to do with the actual update file. That would be in the html code of the website itself.

And easily removed as well.