Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 11-09-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
New firmware upgrade on Tuesday

Dear All:

A new firmware upgrade will be posted tomorrow morning PST.

Included will be:

1. This upgrade will have a change made that will greatly extend the battery charge life on both the Pocket PRO and the EZ Reader Basic. This is what you have seen in the BeBook upgrade minus two faults we had corrected.

2. Finally the font size increases will be changed!! So many have found them either too big or too small. This should, hopefully, give you font size increases that are just right!!

3. Additional usage of the scroll wheel (such as raising and lowering the volume). We are just starting with this scroll wheel improvement!!

4. We hope it will have Thai Language Support. It IS coming! We just have not confirmed it is on this one yet.

We are now close to having (after months of people asking) Dictionary Support. It will not be on this firmware upgrade; but the factory is actively working on it and it will be soon!!

Again, everyone, we are listening and trying to make the Pocket PRO even better!!

Go to www.theEZreader.com tomorrow (Tuesday, November 10) and do the firmware upgrade!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
snowcandy
snowcandy began at the beginning.

Device: EzReader Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-650, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
2. Finally the font size increases will be changed!! So many have found them either too big or too small. This should, hopefully, give you font size increases that are just right!!
Out of curiosity, I have set the font size on all my ePub books to 24pt (with the help of Calibre) as I found it to be the perfect size for me, would this firmware update affect my font size in any way?
snowcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
jpt
Enthusiast
jpt began at the beginning.

Device: OLPC; Nokia 770; White EZ Reader Pocket Pro; Bookeen Cybook Odyssey
Quote:
Dear All:
Any chance of more font sizes for text files? Perhaps a smaller minimum one? Also, it'd be nice if the larger sizes kept the margin the smallest one does.

Thanks.

-- J.P.
jpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:01 AM   #4
nomad
nomad began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader
Boomarks ?

Will there be a fix for bookmarks ? They do not work for folders with spaces in them ...

Regards,

Michal
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:40 AM   #5
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
A new firmware upgrade will be posted tomorrow morning PST.
Looking forward to the upgrade. to the Astak team!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 02:46 AM   #6
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
We are now close to having (after months of people asking) Dictionary Support. It will not be on this firmware upgrade; but the factory is actively working on it and it will be soon!!
This is exciting news, Robert! Looking forward to this in a future upgrade.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:36 AM   #7
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:

3. Additional usage of the scroll wheel (such as raising and lowering the volume). We are just starting with this scroll wheel improvement!!
How is this accomplished? Do you push it in, or hold some other button at the same time to get the volume to change?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Just downloaded the new firmware for my Ezreader basic. This looks much nicer when viewing PDFs and epubs. And I like the time and date.

Thanks

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #9
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
Just downloaded the new firmware for my Ezreader basic. This looks much nicer when viewing PDFs and epubs. And I like the time and date.

Thanks

Chuck
Hi Chuck,

Did you download the update dated November 5, 2009?

93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
ssophon
Enthusiast
ssophon began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
4. We hope it will have Thai Language Support. It IS coming! We just have not confirmed it is on this one yet.

Wow, this is what I am looking for. I wish this will come out soon together with the new model.

Any news on the new model yet. I am waiting to see this. Believe me, if you can come out with the new model (either including keyboard or touch screen) that include these features I will not hestitate to own one.

Looking forward to you see it soon.
ssophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PW1 + PW2, NOOK HD
New Firmware

I just downloaded and installed the new firmware from Astak, it has the option of setting the time but I believe the time can only be displayed in FB2 books. The bookmark bug with bookmarks only working properly with folders that do not have spaces, etc. in them has NOT been fixed.
The firmware actually looks the same as the one from this link
http://lbook.ua/ru/downloads/firmwarev5
and I think I will stick to the Romanian one because it has the added feature of deleting or copying a file right on the device and the delete function is really great to have. Alas, the Romanian firmware has the bug that the menus for FB2 files stay in Romanian regardless of the system setting but I pretty much use epub for all my files anyhow.
But I am very happy to see that Astak is really trying to put out new firmware, so many other companies nowadays throw a device on the market and leave the development hanging...

booknut

Last edited by booknut; 11-10-2009 at 11:13 AM.
booknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:23 AM   #12
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
I upgraded to the new firmware today.

For all those who are confused by the date: This is the November 5, 2009 update, whether it is listed as 20090511, or 05112009, or any other format. Remember, we American's use a different dating format than the rest of the world. Personally, I prefer YYYYMMDD, it makes it much easier to sort on computers. However, I adjust to however it is listed.

It does have the date and time you can see in the settings selection. Setting it is not intuitive, until you play with it. Just hit the number keys in order, don't try to 9am by hitting just the 9. Hit 0 then 9.

The zooms are better in PDF and probably epubs (I don't use epubs, so I can't confirm this)

I am still having trouble with the wheel on the right. I can't seem to press and move it at the same time. It doesn't matter to me since I don't use that. But I couldn't get it to access the "volume" for the TTS. But in playing with it, I noticed that the TTS sounds better....

Robert...did they upgrade the TTS voice? It sounds much better to me now. Or am I getting senile? (senior moment)

I can't speak to the better battery, since I've had excellent battery life from day one. But, there again, I always turn mine all the way off when I am not using it, even if it is for a few minutes. And, yes, the new clock does reset when you do this.

Where does the clock come into play? Is it needed to check out library books, or in the FB setttings as a previous post here said. Or what?

Thanks, ASTAK and Jinke's....looking forward to more improvements as you make them.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Thumbs up We have more standard fonts

I agree with A J the date format (dd-mm-yyyy)is not what many of us are used to seeing in the USA. Time appears to be 24hr (My default, on my computers, being Ex-Navy ).

I love the additional stock font choices.

Astak Request: Please package any Release notes, Revised Manuals and even Relevant FAQ in the Zip (Rar) file. (we probably will store these on the PEz for reference anyway.

Last edited by theducks; 11-10-2009 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Typo
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #14
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I agree with A J the date format (dd-mm-yyyy)is not what many of us are used to seeing in the USA. Time appears to be 24hr (My default, on my computers, being Ex-Navy ).

I love the additional stock font choices.

Astak Request: Please package any Release notes, Revised Manuals and even Relevant FAQ in the Zip (Rar) file. (we probably will store these on the PEz for reference anyway.

Excellent Idea! I am keeping each firmware download in a seperate subfolder under PEZ updates folder on my computer. That way each firmware's release notes would be kept with it.

AJ

(I'm ex-Air Force and current dependent of retiree)
PPS: still haven't got all the rubber paint off mine, You sanded yours didn't you?

Last edited by AJ Starr; 11-10-2009 at 12:08 PM.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #15
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Push "in" on the "nib"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
How is this accomplished? Do you push it in, or hold some other button at the same time to get the volume to change?
Dear Jasmee:

I will be the last one to get it on my Pocket PRO because of a busy day. We are going to be selling through 49 new retail stores in the USA and they are installing demo counters and there are a lot of details to still do.

It has been explained to me that all you do is push in on the "nib" (the protrusion on the scroll wheel) to get into another mode. Once you are in the mode you want (for example "volume", you control with up and down on the scroll wheel.

I am praying that this change is indeed on this firmware upgrade. If not, there will be a second firmware upgrade almost immediately.

To answer other questions: yes, I suspect that the new upgrade will change any pre-existing font sizes you may have already installed. I do not know for sure as I do not use calibre. I just know that everyone (members of MR and reviewers) has universally disliked the graduation of the font increases. This upgrade is supposed to make the garduation much more practical.

I will ask my tech people to try it and then write better info than I can give you.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote