Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #61
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
I just transferred several large files, through the usb cable to the PEZ.

I didn't have any problems, as I have had NO PROBLEMS at all on any aspects of the PEZ.

One of the earlier posts reminded us that the USB port that you use on your computer needs to be the direct port, not an extension, AND some of the computers use internal extensions to the front or back of the unit.
Before you cry foul that it is all PEZs having problems, check to make sure it's not your computer's ports. It seems only a handful of people have this problem, and by deduction reasoning, it is more likely your computer's hardware or software (i.e., firewall) problem than the firmware of the PEZ which works for everyone else.

I empathize to your problem, but please don't demand a change to something that is working, just because you are having problems.

AJ
Tested on the ports on the Back (mainboard) as well as the front, Back and side on the Laptop.
Firewall, XP does not have a Firewall (setting) on USB ports.
AVG is my A/V and I will try with that OFF (common to all failed systems). I will report back .

Update:
Disabled the A/V (and put the drive letters on the Exclude list). No change.
First time I plug in(Black group USB Port on Rear of Dell), Press OK/Menu, drive letters are assigned, but can not see contents.
I "safely disconnect". Re-attach PEz. Single Bonk tone, but NO drives show up.

Last edited by theducks; 10-29-2009 at 02:05 PM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #62
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
I just transferred several large files, through the usb cable to the PEZ.

I didn't have any problems, as I have had NO PROBLEMS at all on any aspects of the PEZ.

One of the earlier posts reminded us that the USB port that you use on your computer needs to be the direct port, not an extension, AND some of the computers use internal extensions to the front or back of the unit.
Before you cry foul that it is all PEZs having problems, check to make sure it's not your computer's ports. It seems only a handful of people have this problem, and by deduction reasoning, it is more likely your computer's hardware or software (i.e., firewall) problem than the firmware of the PEZ which works for everyone else.

I empathize to your problem, but please don't demand a change to something that is working, just because you are having problems.
AJ
Agreed, there only seem to be a few HERE that are experiencing the problem FOR NOW, but it is a real problem with the PocketPRO. I do know how USB works, down to the hardware level. I expect others having this problem also actually do know how USB works as well.

To answer your hardware excuses for the PocketPRO failing USB2.0, I have tried this PocketPRO on ALL the USB ports on my dual boot main PC, both with Ubuntu and with WinXP and it always failed USB2.0 miserably. It actually worked slightly better on Ubuntu than WinXP, but I put that down to better error recovery techniques by the Ubuntu software. It was when I tried the PocketPRO on an old IBM laptop that the PocketPRO actually started to work perfectly well on USB. The old IBM laptop only had USB1.1 capability. When I put a USB1.1 hub in series with the PocketPRO it performed well on my main PC. USB2.0 works very well with ALL the other USB2.0 capable hardware that I tested on my main PC.

To answer your software excuses for the PocketPRO failure, I had gone into my main PC's BIOS and changed the BIOS to only allow USB1.1 on all the computer's ports. I then reran Ubuntu and WinXP( same firewall and software as before) and USB1.1 worked beautifully with the PocketPRO. Went into the BIOS again and enabled USB2.0, and reran the same software again and the PocketPRO crapped out again on USB2.0 The only difference between the two tests was disabling USB2.0 in the PC BIOS. All software and firewall settings were exactly the same.

I am certain that the USB problem with the PocketPRO is a minor hardware design error that only affects the statistical corner cases, but is VERY poor production design to even approach the statistical corner cases. I have my own idea what the specific problem *might* be, but I do not have the equipment at home to prove it.

If you can think of any other excuses for why *some* PocketPRO devices fail so miserably on USB2.0, I will be glad to test your theories. If not then Jinke really does need to look at this problem, or they may find a much larger percentage of a production run hitting this USB2.0 corner case.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #63
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
ALL Astak products have the USER-Replaceable rechargeable battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
I'm still waiting to buy as well. Got about 4 week or so. I'm wondering if I shouldn't get the 6" to avoid all these paint peeling problems... but I really would prefer a USB2.0 connection. Decisions, decisions. Maybe within 4 weeks the paint problem will be cleared up...

Oh and all of Astak's products have replacable batteries correct? This is mega important to me living in Australia. I don't want to have to send it back to the company to get a new battery.
Dear Laura:

Look at it this way, please. We lost a hell of a lot of money with the paint problem but stood by our customers without fail. Now, the third shipment is arriving next Friday. I would certainly HOPE that we are smart enough to NOT send out any more that have a paint wrinkling problem. I am assured by the Product Manager that the paint problem is past and all colors are now safe and permanent.

He works with the factory every night and he is positive.

Yes, the biggest feature, and the least mentioned by reviewers, is that the entire Astak line has the user-replaceable rechargeable battery. I will NEVER understand WHY reviewers do not see how valuable this is. Who wants to be without their device 4-6 weeks plus pay $80 to have the factory replace the battery, plus pay the freight. This feature does NOT get enough recognition.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #64
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Yes, the biggest feature, and the least mentioned by reviewers, is that the entire Astak line has the user-replaceable rechargeable battery. I will NEVER understand WHY reviewers do not see how valuable this is. Who wants to be without their device 4-6 weeks plus pay $80 to have the factory replace the battery, plus pay the freight. This feature does NOT get enough recognition.
And when it is mentioned for the PocketPRO, it is the fact that the "user-replaceable rechargeable battery" is a sole sourced item that can only be bought from the manufacturer. The "user-replaceable rechargeable battery" on the 6" model can be be bought anywhere, and in reputable brands.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #65
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Will look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Agreed, there only seem to be a few HERE that are experiencing the problem FOR NOW, but it is a real problem with the PocketPRO. I do know how USB works, down to the hardware level. I expect others having this problem also actually do know how USB works as well.

To answer your hardware excuses for the PocketPRO failing USB2.0, I have tried this PocketPRO on ALL the USB ports on my dual boot main PC, both with Ubuntu and with WinXP and it always failed USB2.0 miserably. It actually worked slightly better on Ubuntu than WinXP, but I put that down to better error recovery techniques by the Ubuntu software. It was when I tried the PocketPRO on an old IBM laptop that the PocketPRO actually started to work perfectly well on USB. The old IBM laptop only had USB1.1 capability. When I put a USB1.1 hub in series with the PocketPRO it performed well on my main PC. USB2.0 works very well with ALL the other USB2.0 capable hardware that I tested on my main PC.

To answer your software excuses for the PocketPRO failure, I had gone into my main PC's BIOS and changed the BIOS to only allow USB1.1 on all the computer's ports. I then reran Ubuntu and WinXP( same firewall and software as before) and USB1.1 worked beautifully with the PocketPRO. Went into the BIOS again and enabled USB2.0, and reran the same software again and the PocketPRO crapped out again on USB2.0 The only difference between the two tests was disabling USB2.0 in the PC BIOS. All software and firewall settings were exactly the same.

I am certain that the USB problem with the PocketPRO is a minor hardware design error that only affects the statistical corner cases, but is VERY poor production design to even approach the statistical corner cases. I have my own idea what the specific problem *might* be, but I do not have the equipment at home to prove it.

If you can think of any other excuses for why *some* PocketPRO devices fail so miserably on USB2.0, I will be glad to test your theories. If not then Jinke really does need to look at this problem, or they may find a much larger percentage of a production run hitting this USB2.0 corner case.
Dear Dave_S:

Thank you for your post. I work for Astak and we are reading and following.

Personally, I use a card reader/writer anyway to put eBooks onto an SD card for my personal Pocket PRO. It is far faster than simple USB.

We have talked with the factory on this, verified it is 2.0, and they swear they cannot begin to duplicate the problem in their labs. Still,they will keep trying.

Please mention why the card reader/writer cannot be utilized. I confess that I hear you and believe you... but would just like to know.

Please do not lose your temper and please stick with us. I am honest and sincere and do not lie. For me it has been flawless either with the USB or better with the card reader/writer.
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #66
Robertb

Yes, 6 inch battery can be purchased anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
And when it is mentioned for the PocketPRO, it is the fact that the "user-replaceable rechargeable battery" is a sole sourced item that can only be bought from the manufacturer. The "user-replaceable rechargeable battery" on the 6" model can be be bought anywhere, and in reputable brands.
Dear Dave:

Your point is valid and I do not argue it. The battery on the 6 inch was and is a breeze to find online. I CANNOT begin to fathom why the factory went with a special battery. Yes, you can only buy it from us at present. BUT... we are not exactly gouging you on the price. We are fair as a battery source.

We are STILL trying to get the factory to tell us where you can find that battery online. We make no money on the spare battery at all... so IF we can find an online source all would be happier.

One thing I do know, Dave, is that a China factory is not exactly always logical to us non-national Chinese. They do tend to be a bit "different" in tehir ways. They build a heck of a good device... but the idosyncrosies confuse me.

Still working on this.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #67
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
I was trying to answer the question a few posts back and was reviewing the thread for the USB2 problems. A couple of thoughts crossed my mind...

First... When everyone says they have problems transferring files with USB2, that it stutters etc. are they transferring files in bulk, in other words, selecting many files with the drag and drop and letting the system transfer them. Or are you transferring one file at a time. As I've said before, I haven't had a problem, however, I only transfer one file at a time. I do not try a batch transfer.

Second... one of the comments made about the FAT systems was the length of the file names. Could some of the files transferring have too long of a name for the FAT 16? Or am I totally off mark with this comment? Since I'm from the old DOS days, I keep my files names short and simple.

Just asking....

AJ

BTW, to the person who asked about the thread for the usb internal extension link, sorry I couldn't find it.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:19 PM   #68
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Dear Dave_S:

<snip>
We have talked with the factory on this, verified it is 2.0, and they swear they cannot begin to duplicate the problem in their labs. Still,they will keep trying.

Please mention why the card reader/writer cannot be utilized. I confess that I hear you and believe you... but would just like to know.

<snip>
For me, the problem is so severe that I don't even get to view the directory. (Repeat, Works from Linux)
Please ask if they tried on an older PC with the Intel chip set using the stock Microsoft/Dell approved drivers.

How do you save to internal storage using a SD Card Reader
Calibre can not manage my device without USB.

(I don't have a old USB1.1 Hub to use like Dave S
Old 10-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #69
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
For me, the problem is so severe that I don't even get to view the directory. (Repeat, Works from Linux)
Please ask if they tried on an older PC with the Intel chip set using the stock Microsoft/Dell approved drivers.

How do you save to internal storage using a SD Card Reader
Calibre can not manage my device without USB.

(I don't have a old USB1.1 Hub to use like Dave S
What cable are you using? Be sure it has the noise suppression feature. (A bulge in the cable where the filter is.)
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #70
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
What cable are you using? Be sure it has the noise suppression feature. (A bulge in the cable where the filter is.)
That is NOT a requirement to meet the USB2.0 standard, and most USB2.0 cables do NOT have it. But just to be sure I did use the cable that came with the PocketPRO containing the ferrite core filter. I even added an extra ferrite core filter to the cable to see if more noise attenuation would help. I really doubt that noise is the issue here. I have my own theory, but no way to prove it with the equipment that I have at home.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #71
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I don't have a old USB1.1 Hub
These are about $5 from Amazon, although there is no guarantee this particular hub will work. Or try searching for usb hubs at any on-line computer store and sorting by price. Some of those under $5 will likely be 1.1 hubs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #72
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
The card reader/writer method can be used, but that is just as much of a workaround kludge as my USB1.1 hub workaround. I will not leave an SD card reader in the slot to read from because that is just a waste of battery power. The circuitry to support the SD card and the SD card itself require power to operate, and that power comes from the PocketPRO. If the PocketPRO had file handling utilities like OpenInkpot used to have, then it would be possible to load books into the internal storage from an SD card, but without those utilities the nearly 500 MegaBytes of internal storage would just be going to waste. I much prefer my kludge to force the PocketPRO down to USB1.1 speeds, and being able to use the internal storage that is consuming power anyway.

Quote:
Please do not lose your temper and please stick with us. I am honest and sincere and do not lie. For me it has been flawless either with the USB or better with the card reader/writer.
I do not doubt you, and I am not angry, just really disappointed in buying a device with two major problems. I have peeled off the bad paint, and I have a workaround for the USB failure so I do have a usable device to read with. I believe you when you say USB2.0 is flawless for you, since I am pretty sure that the USB2.0 interface problem is just an example of overzealous cost saving engineering that only affects a small percentage of devices in the current production run. But if the problem is not looked into by Jinke, another production run may experience a far more unacceptable percentage of USB problems.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #73
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
First... When everyone says they have problems transferring files with USB2, that it stutters etc. are they transferring files in bulk, in other words, selecting many files with the drag and drop and letting the system transfer them. Or are you transferring one file at a time. As I've said before, I haven't had a problem, however, I only transfer one file at a time. I do not try a batch transfer.
The problem occurs either way. Of course, the problem is much easier to see with a large file or group of files since the problem is data transmission errors. With a single file, I once was able to get a transfer to complete, but that was only once. When I use the USB1.1 hub in line with the PocketPRO I was able to transfer a whole folder full of files.
Quote:
Second... one of the comments made about the FAT systems was the length of the file names. Could some of the files transferring have too long of a name for the FAT 16? Or am I totally off mark with this comment? Since I'm from the old DOS days, I keep my files names short and simple.
The way that FAT16 (VFAT) supports long file names is not all that different in principle from FAT32. NTFS is a whole different story, but that will probably never be on a reader device unless M$ makes it. Anyway, using USB1.1 makes the whole problem go away so it could hardly be a long file name problem.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #74
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I had added one near (4 inches) the PEz end shortly after I got the cable (Fry's is local).
The same cable works with Ubuntu.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:05 PM   #75
emt
Nameless Being

Outrageous Battery Shipping Charge

All:

You should know that when you order a battery for the 5" Astak Reader, they (some outfit called Mobiebook) sock you with a $10 shipping for ordinary shipping!

That's for a $15 item.

Astak - you make a great product but if you want to be a world class company, don't get a reputation for nickel-and-diming your customers