Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-15-2009, 06:39 PM   #16
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hey! It won't let me enter without signing up for facebook!

At least I don't think it did. I clicked submit and it went to a login page!

Yeah I definitely feel tricked!
Well we don't know if you need to sign into facebook to complete the entry. The facebook login page doesn't say you need to login to continue with the entry. I think it is just a page by facebook to try and get people to *think* they need to sign-up to continue their entry. I for one refuse to use facebook.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:50 PM   #17
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Yes, you do need to be a member of Facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamzilla View Post
Do you have to be a member of Facebook to enter this contest?
Yes, unfortunately, you do need to be a member of Facebook to get in. BUT, It is FREE.

What is the benefit to you? You can become an "Astak Fan" and recieve news of Firmware Upgrades, new products, new promotions and stuff to make your Pocket PRO even more of your life. Yes, I know how many will say "I do not want to be bothered". But, knowing about things that pleasurably impact your Pocket PRO or EZ Reader Basic should not be considered a bother (we sincerely hope). Astak is not like other firms. We are smaller, do NOT even consider "selling " your name and contact info, and do VERY few notifications.

We hoped this would be looked upon as good news. You have already purchased the product (most of you) so why not become an Astak Fan.

By the way, you CAN enter the contest and decline becoming a fan. But, why would you??
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #18
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Well we don't know if you need to sign into facebook to complete the entry. The facebook login page doesn't say you need to login to continue with the entry. I think it is just a page by facebook to try and get people to *think* they need to sign-up to continue their entry. I for one refuse to use facebook.
Yes, that is what I thought also. I don't want to join facebook either.

Perhaps it would be better if any future competitions were independant of facebook. It seems quite a number of people on this thread already don't want to join facebook but would still like the opportunity of being able to participate in competitions/promotions. I guess that is Astak's decision, but I am sure they would get a lot more entrants if it was separate from facebook.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #19
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I'm certain there will be more promotions, perhaps with new devices, such as the Mentor line, in the future.

I'd even like to see giveaways of gift-cards redeemable at ebookstores. These could only be joined by those who own the PEZ or other Astak device.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #20
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Yes, unfortunately, you do need to be a member of Facebook to get in. BUT, It is FREE.

What is the benefit to you? You can become an "Astak Fan" and recieve news of Firmware Upgrades, new products, new promotions and stuff to make your Pocket PRO even more of your life. Yes, I know how many will say "I do not want to be bothered". But, knowing about things that pleasurably impact your Pocket PRO or EZ Reader Basic should not be considered a bother (we sincerely hope). Astak is not like other firms. We are smaller, do NOT even consider "selling " your name and contact info, and do VERY few notifications.

We hoped this would be looked upon as good news. You have already purchased the product (most of you) so why not become an Astak Fan.

By the way, you CAN enter the contest and decline becoming a fan. But, why would you??
Ok Robert, even though I said I refuse to sign up with facebook, I took the plunge purely to enter the competition. Can I have my entry near the top when results are drawn? Please? Oh don't make me beg
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #21
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Yes, that is what I thought also. I don't want to join facebook either.

Perhaps it would be better if any future competitions were independant of facebook. It seems quite a number of people on this thread already don't want to join facebook but would still like the opportunity of being able to participate in competitions/promotions. I guess that is Astak's decision, but I am sure they would get a lot more entrants if it was separate from facebook.
I agree.

It's not worth the facebook sign up in mho..
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #22
rling
Connoisseur
rling began at the beginning.

Device: Mentor Lite, Nook Color, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Good idea for a promotion. Entered and it advertised the contest to all my Facebook friends. Now, that's good thinking Astak.
rling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #23
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Thank you, rling... that is all we are trying to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rling View Post
Good idea for a promotion. Entered and it advertised the contest to all my Facebook friends. Now, that's good thinking Astak.
Dear rling and all:

The intent of the contest is not only to give away devices but to spread the word about the Pocket PRO. While you and I know how Astak loves MobileRead Forum (it, frankly, built our eBook Reader business and we are looking now into advertising on MR)... we need more orders...and that comes from reaching more people.

We have been doing small ads on Facebook and it helped a little bit but is only going to about 10 people a day and a few buy. Astak is trying to (just like rling is doing) get you and your friends to notice to news.

The next three months, leading up to CES in Las Vegas (January 7-10), are going to see a frightening amount of new devices being looked into. The EZ Reader and Mentor line-ups will grow heavily (likely shortly after CES) with new sizes and new models and very possibly a COLOR eBook Reader.

There are always going to be people that HATE being on the so-called "Social Networking" sites. I surely did but signed up and it has been fun. That is why I am laying everything out here. I want you to know that we do need you on Facebook and we will NOT be abusing the privelege! I am being as honest as I can be. Please sign up on facebook as a fan of Astak and help us spread the word while keeping you informed. My very good friend from the Blues Brothers should know "we are on a mission from God"!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #24
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

Robert it doesn't matter. I don't want to be on facebook. you are discriminating against me and forcing me to join something I don't want to join and giving one more organization access to me and my contact info.

It sucks. If you are going to do a contest, do it right. Let people sign up on your website. Jeeze!

Pisses me off! Can you tell!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #25
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Robert it doesn't matter. I don't want to be on facebook. you are discriminating against me and forcing me to join something I don't want to join and giving one more organization access to me and my contact info.

It sucks. If you are going to do a contest, do it right. Let people sign up on your website. Jeeze!

Pisses me off! Can you tell!
Wow. I sense anger issues. The contest is specifically to spread the word of Astak on Facebook, via a game. If you choose NOT to join facebook, do not take it as a personal slight against you. It's not meant that way.

I am on Facebook, however, I block all applications. I mean every one. Every game, survey, thingie and whatchit, ...blocked. The Astak appl is the only one that I have accepted, mainly because I trust the company.

Just because you join Facebook, doesnt mean you have to accept every application that comes your way. You don't even have to put in your real information.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #26
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Wow. I sense anger issues. The contest is specifically to spread the word of Astak on Facebook, via a game. If you choose NOT to join facebook, do not take it as a personal slight against you. It's not meant that way.

I am on Facebook, however, I block all applications. I mean every one. Every game, survey, thingie and whatchit, ...blocked. The Astak appl is the only one that I have accepted, mainly because I trust the company.

Just because you join Facebook, doesnt mean you have to accept every application that comes your way. You don't even have to put in your real information.

Glad you got the point. If a company is going to hold a contest it should be fair and open to anyone by going to their website and filling out the form, not by having to sign up with a third party in order to enter the contest. I suspect that may even be against the law. Besides that it's just dumb to not do it via the company website.

If the idea is to promote their products then then they have done just the opposite as far as I (and apparently others here) are concerned. I will no longer promote the products but will make sure every knows about this krap way of doing a contest.

Robert???

Last edited by kennyc; 10-15-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:53 PM   #27
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
Glad you got the point. If a company is going to hold a contest it should be fair and open to anyone by going to their website and filling out the form, not by having to sign up with a third party in order to enter the contest. I suspect that may even be against the law. Besides that it's just dumb to not do it via the company website.

If the idea is to promote their products then then they have done just the opposite as far as I (and apparently others here) are concerned. I will no longer promote the products but will make sure every knows about this krap way of doing a contest.

Robert???

A Facebook contest, without Facebook.?

hrmm
Old 10-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #28
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
A Facebook contest, without Facebook.?

hrmm

Now you are totally missing the point. I will be sure to spread the word as I said.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:20 PM   #29
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Here is a fun little contest to win a free Pocket PRO in YOUR choice of COLOR PLUS scare yourself stiff!! PLEASE invite your friends!! Everyone over 18 years old is eligible!!

This is a "sweepstakes" like contest. Go to the link and follow the contest rules. It will take you to a website where you need to look under the different headers and find the small pumpkin! Once you identify the color of the pumpkin and click on it: you fill out the sweepstakes form and become a "Friend of Astak". The winner is randomly chosen by the sweepstakes machine. That way everybody has a good chance to win!! DO NOT POST THE ANSWER!!

Depending on the number of entries we may award 1-5 Pocket PROs free... so the more who enter the more chance to win!!

By the way, ALL Pocket PROs that you buy during the next thrity days will come with a free SD card pre-loaded with 350 classic eBooks (at least fifty are Halloween classics filled with stories of ghosts, witches, ghouls, horror and "Things That Go BUMP in the NIGHT"!!). ALL such classics chosen by that mad scientist: Robert B!! Sorry, we did not want to scare you too badly so no pictures of Griffonwing!

We will POST the name of all winners!!

Here is the link to get started:

http://apps.facebook.com/promotionshq/contests/7694
Ok, English isnt my native language and maybe what i say isnt really what i really want to say but, isnt the pourpose of the "promotion" to let everyone of your contacts on Facebook know about the Pocket Pro? If so, why so mad?
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:30 PM   #30
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I'm in.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote