Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
i just tried the reset and power buttons while it was connected, and no luck. I also tried the firmware upgrade combination (top page turn and power button), and connecting it to the computer, and neither one worked.
The following causes to geet the beeps (4 short beeps)
briefly press power button
briefly press reset button
connect device to power outlet
connect device to computer

no success yet
1. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.
2. The reset button should also do this, perhaps hold it for a couple of seconds.
3. With the computer disconnected from the charger, remove the battery. (last ditch effort)

Surely one of these things will fix it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #17
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
1. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.
2. The reset button should also do this, perhaps hold it for a couple of seconds.
3. With the computer disconnected from the charger, remove the battery. (last ditch effort)

Surely one of these things will fix it.

Dale
if with #3 you mean with the reader disconnected from the charger, then, yes, I tried all 3 and all 3 steps failed.

I even repeated steps 1 and 2 two or three times
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #18
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
I'm sure you have tried this and it's irrelevant, but while you're waiting for tech support... you said this started because you pulled the SD card accidentally. Assuming that you have tried the various reset methods with the card back in, have you tried them with the card back out? Or vice versa -- if you haven't put the card back in yet, perhaps you should try resetting with the card in?

I seem to recall seeing something on the Astak site about the reader recognizing when there is an SD card present and switching to it. If, somehow, it's gotten terminally confused, maybe changing the presence or the absence of the card will have an effect?
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #19
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlac View Post
I'm sure you have tried this and it's irrelevant, but while you're waiting for tech support... you said this started because you pulled the SD card accidentally. Assuming that you have tried the various reset methods with the card back in, have you tried them with the card back out? Or vice versa -- if you haven't put the card back in yet, perhaps you should try resetting with the card in?

I seem to recall seeing something on the Astak site about the reader recognizing when there is an SD card present and switching to it. If, somehow, it's gotten terminally confused, maybe changing the presence or the absence of the card will have an effect?
oh ya, I forgot to mention it but I tried all that with and without SD card inserted.

I tried everything I could think of with my product test engineer mind and yet no luck
Old 09-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #20
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
If the card still have the firmware update on it try to hold the reset buttton and what other keys is used to force the firmware update. I know for the ezreader basic it is the + key for the volunme.
See if that will reflash the firmware.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #21
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
If the card still have the firmware update on it try to hold the reset buttton and what other keys is used to force the firmware update. I know for the ezreader basic it is the + key for the volunme.
See if that will reflash the firmware.

Chuck
sorry to sound like a broken a record but:
tried that as well :P
i got the beeps and I didn't get the firmware upgrade screen

With every single test the "keyboard locked ...." stayed in place
Old 09-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #22
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Ok then seems to be to only thing left is to call support and possibly return the unit.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #23
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
Ok then seems to be to only thing left is to call support and possibly return the unit.

Chuck
Old 09-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #24
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
Quote:
sorry to sound like a broken a record but:
tried that as well :P
i got the beeps and I didn't get the firmware upgrade screen

With every single test the "keyboard locked ...." stayed in place

since the e-ink will simply retain the last message that was on-screen until power is reapplied to clear it, I wouldn't even assume that the keyboard is still locked, or indeed that anything is working.

Agree with everyone else who's saying that you'll need official tech support/replacement on this one...
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #25
SDRebel
Addict

The baby is going back the short time I had it we were happy together
... I contacted tech support over the phone but they told me they had to look at it. Now I have to pay for shipping to send it to them
Old 09-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #26
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Well, hopefully they will send you a brand-spanking new one back. Hey that's what they should be doing ANYWAY!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #27
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well, hopefully they will send you a brand-spanking new one back. Hey that's what they should be doing ANYWAY!
agreed! though I would like NOT to have to pay extra to ship it back....
Robert?? where are you to save the day?

edit:
by the way, this thread provided a few more recover options than tech support. Collective brain power FTW!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #28
SDRebel
Addict

any brave and adventurous soul willing to try if they get the same issue as I did ?
Old 09-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #29
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
any brave and adventurous soul willing to try if they get the same issue as I did ?
I would if only i lived in US, but because shipping cost are way too high for international orders you are out of luck
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #30
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
I had mine freeze when I was playing with the TTS. After punching many buttons, I HELD the Exit button and it did reset to the bookshelf.

Don't know if this will work on yours, but just wanted to share it.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help needed pocket pro