Notices

Old 04-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #91
rAntonov
rAntonov began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Does anyone think that will work?
Of course not. That's why you buy the new one without any form of consent, provided that it's better specced than a KA1, and the you tell her she can have the KA1.
rAntonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #92
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
It will be a, "Why do you need another ereader?" for me. That, of course, will be asked by my wife.

And I actually have an answer: Because you have my Aura ONE!

The motto I follow is "It's always better to ask for forgiveness than permission."
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #93
PatrickTC
PatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kobo - Mini, Glo, Glo HD
"HD" would surely seem to indicate 300 ppi, so unless Eink has modules not listed on their site, this will be a 6".

Too bad. I really want a 300 ppi screen on a device that fits in a pocket.

One observation: If Netronix could get to a near bezel-less design like current cellphones are, they could get a 6 inch screen into a device not much bigger than the Mini...

I can dream, can't I?
PatrickTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #94
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
It will be a, "Why do you need another ereader?" for me. That, of course, will be asked by my wife.

And I actually have an answer: Because you have my Aura ONE!

Magic 8-Ball says "Outlook not so good".
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:53 PM   #95
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
The motto I follow is "It's always better to ask for forgiveness than permission."
Absolutely. If you don't want the answer, don't ask the question!

I don't know why, but I really want to want this new toy, even though we don't know what it is yet. Withdrawal symptoms after not buying a new device for 18 months, perhaps.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2018, 07:35 PM   #96
PatrickTC
PatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Absolutely. If you don't want the answer, don't ask the question!

I don't know why, but I really want to want this new toy, even though we don't know what it is yet. Withdrawal symptoms after not buying a new device for 18 months, perhaps.
I'm kind of suffering from the same thing. I haven't had a new ereader since the Glo HD premiered. I've thought about the Aura ONE Limited Edition, but I probably don't really need that. If they added a two column landscape mode, I might like that, but otherwise, the Glo HD is big enough for me.

Like you, I don't know if it is actually that I want the Clara, so much as that I want it to be something that I want...

But I think I'm probably going to be disappointed...

*sigh*
Old 04-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #97
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
And that's how the Aura ONE was purchased. Though the intention was always to give it to her to try to see if show wanted to replace her Glo. It just took a lot longer than originally planned before that happened. I've just been waiting for the next device before getting a new Aura ONE for myself
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #98
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickTC View Post

One observation: If Netronix could get to a near bezel-less design like current cellphones are, they could get a 6 inch screen into a device not much bigger than the Mini...

I can dream, can't I?
Even though I really want a 5", such a device would tempt me. However, cruel reality says that they can't shave enough from the size of the Glo HD to make a 6" Clara lustworthy.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickTC View Post
"HD" would surely seem to indicate 300 ppi, so unless Eink has modules not listed on their site, this will be a 6".

I can dream, can't I?
Yes, you can dream. But not having enough of a bezel means it will be much harder to hold and I would never be able to recommend such a monstrosity.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:54 AM   #100
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I can understand the desire for a 5" device. Even though it doesn't tempt me much, it does seem to be part of the market overlooked recently. I think, perhaps, the manufacturers are thinking that 5" is hitting on the mobile phone display size and assuming that's what people will use if they want to read at that size.

I really like the Aura One for reading (it's a good size for my fading eyesight) but the touch inaccuracy (mentioned on another thread) makes it less good for highlighting and note-taking (I'm taking my New Leaf Book Club participation very seriously ). So I'll probably try a H2O2 and leave the Aura One with my wife where it has found a very welcome home. I've been holding out mainly on the possibility that Clara was another larger reader - but I doubt it.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:37 AM   #101
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, you can dream. But not having enough of a bezel means it will be much harder to hold and I would never be able to recommend such a monstrosity.
I was thinking the same thing, but I've also thought about getting one of these to try:

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-iPhone...ds=pop+up+ring
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #102
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I can understand the desire for a 5" device. Even though it doesn't tempt me much, it does seem to be part of the market overlooked recently. I think, perhaps, the manufacturers are thinking that 5" is hitting on the mobile phone display size and assuming that's what people will use if they want to read at that size.
Perhaps if they made a phone with an eink display, they would be able to steal some of the mobile market.

The Yota phone, although a step in the right direction, is a compromise. I don't need two screens on such a device.

Yes, some games and certain apps wouldn't work well on an eink mobile phone, but such a phone wouldn't appeal to such people anyway.

However, just imagine being able to read your phone's screen in direct sunlight! Being able to actually compose a photograph in bright sunlight! The ability to go longer before needing to recharge the battery!
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #103
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Kobo phone (or Tolino phone or whatever) would be an insta-buy for me...

I'd immediately spend a lot less time online which would suit me fine after a little cold turkey.

We can dream, can't we?
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #104
PatrickTC

I actually think an ereader with a phone-like form factor would be really terrific. I do read on my phone as a matter of convenience, but I infinitely prefer an Eink display for reading.

A 5" Eink display at 300 ppi with a 1:1.78 aspect ratio would be great for reading on, easily pocketable, and easy to hold.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #105
PatrickTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Looking at my Glo HD, I believe you could lose the wide bezel at the bottom, flip it 180 degrees so that the top bezel becomes the bottom, and narrow the sides by half. You'd end up with a device the size of the Mini with a 6" display, and I believe that would be easy to hold. The Mini is easy to hold, and I have small hands...

It would certainly be easier to hold than an *real* book is!

When Kobo did an Insider survey late last year asking what Kobo users want, a new Mini was a fairly popular refrain.

I'm going to HOPE that's what the Clara turns out to be.

But I SUSPECT it will turn out to be a budget 6" for Walmart.