Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #61
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Here's one more, although not an American writer. Still, lots of fun. Sort of a younger, funnier Inspector Rebus without Rankin's darker side...
R D Wingfield's 'Jack Frost' series.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:20 AM   #62
nosake
nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
Sorry - I should have been clearer. I was referring to Stuart MacBride's Logan McRae series - very dark and twisted, but with a vein of macabre humour running through it. That's not to say the humour is the primary element - it's not - but it does raise its head occasionally.

Brilliant books, IMHO.

/JB
Thanks!
nosake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #63
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Not American authors, but favorites of mine who have not yet been mentioned:

Karin Fossum (Inspector Konrad Sejer series set in Norway)
Deon Meyer (Inspector Benny Griessel series set in South Africa)

Fossum's books are dark and may not appeal to everyone, but I've read all eight that have been translated to English and for many of those I paid full price. Deon Meyer is a fantastic writer whose books are so action-packed I occasionally had to set them down to take a deep breath. Both series are highly recommended. Fossum's books are more psychological.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #64
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm fond of loopy Florida caper mysteries, a category where Carl Hiaasen excels. Laurence Shames' Key West series is fun. Florida Straits is first in the series that keeps getting better. Recommended if you want both a mystery and a good laugh.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #65
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I'm fond of loopy Florida caper mysteries, a category where Carl Hiaasen excels. Laurence Shames' Key West series is fun. Florida Straits is first in the series that keeps getting better. Recommended if you want both a mystery and a good laugh.
You'll probably like John Dufresne's "No Regrets, Coyote" - a "Florida noir" with plenty of gore, humor, and wild characters.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #66
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
I like the Doc Ford Series by Randy Wayne White. A bit reminiscent of John D. Macdonald, but with a bit more character depth. Not really loopy though.

For sheer loopiness you should try Tim Dorsey's Serge Storms Series.
Quote:
The world's most lovable serial killer is back, bringing together an Oscar-worthy cast of Sunshine State nut jobs with his insatiable passion for All Things Florida.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #67
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
If you like a kind of modern day Western edge to your mysteries, there's always Tony Hillerman.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #68
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Ken Bruen is all about atmosphere and lyrical writing...Although I wouldn't say all of them are quite that lacking in mystery!...
Okay, I will give him another chance .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Laura Lipman... written one that I thought was just awesome... Nancy Pickard writes ....old-fashioned mysteries. They're solid, but I'm not necessarily captured by the characters every time ...
Thanks for the comments. What was that awesome book by laura lippman, by the way? I just started with 'what the dead know'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
...I was referring to Stuart MacBride's Logan McRae series - very dark and twisted, but with a vein of macabre humour running through it...Brilliant books, IMHO.
/JB
Thanks, added to my to read list.
iamosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #69
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamosam View Post
Okay, I will give him another chance .

Thanks for the comments. What was that awesome book by laura lippman, by the way? I just started with 'what the dead know'.

Thanks, added to my to read list.
Yes, "What the Dead Know" ... I think that was my favorite. SHoot, I checked the cover, but it's changed. Reading the blurb, I'm pretty sure that was it. I've tried several of her others and not really gotten into them. They tend to jump here and there and just not draw me into the characters the way What the Dead did.

BTW, I'm not saying I enjoyed Ken Bruen ENTIRELY. I don't really enjoy the whole bottom-of-the-barrel-drinking main. Bruen's series definitely utilizes that character type. He does the pastiche...well, it's probably more realistic than most of the hard drinking PI books. That reality can be a real downer. I've read some short stories he did and they were more upbeat and still have that atmospheric painting going on. His writing has a certain emotional hit.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #70
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Karin Fossum ...
Fossum's books are more psychological.
Thanks. This is what I am after; any other good authors/series/books?
iamosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #71
BelleZora
Wizard

How I appreciate this thread! Although I've read most of the authors mentioned, some had escaped my notice. Ken Bruen is now at the top of my 'must read' list, particularly since I seem to be in an all things Irish stage.

I love the private investigators battling their inner alcoholic demons, i.e. Matthew Scudder, Benny Griessel, and Dave Robicheaux. I agree with an earlier poster who is no longer so enchanted with our man Dave. I recently read Light of the World (Robicheaux #20 and I've read them all) and Dave's perpetual dry drunks are getting tedious. His family and friends now are infected and probably are in need of Alanon. I wonder how he manages to stay sober. I've slogged through the last two books, swearing off Robicheaux each time, but no doubt I'll not be able to pass up the next one, either. Like many an alcoholic, I can't give up the notion that the magic of the early days may happen again.

I second the Tony Hillerman recommendation. His Navajo Nation series is fascinating and educational. Last year I visited family in southern Colorado when cougar tracks were found in their neighborhood. The children on the street were all a-twitter with the speculation that it was a skin-walker. Thanks to Hillerman, I knew what they were talking about.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #72
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Add my vote for James Ellroy (any James Ellroy, not just the L. A. Quartet).
I tried two of the L.A. Quartet books after hearing about how good they were, but really didn't enjoy them at all. I *think* it's the 1950s setting that perhaps put me off, although it's usually more historical stuff that I don't like, as I did quite enjoy Stephen King's 11/22/63....

Quote:
Karin Fossum (Inspector Konrad Sejer series set in Norway)

Fossum's books are dark and may not appeal to everyone, but I've read all eight that have been translated to English and for many of those I paid full price. Fossum's books are more psychological.
Apart from the latest one they all seem to be the same price on Amazon (£5.22 in the UK), too expensive for me for an unknown author, but I found a couple of the Sejer series available in my local library, so thanks, I'll add her to my TBR author list.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #73
BelleZora
Wizard

I got several of the Fossum books on a Kindle Daily Deal. You might try adding them to an ereaderiq.com watch list and wait for another sale.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #74
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Bob Morris: "Bahamarama", "Jamaica Me Dead," "Bermuda Schwartz."

Florida based protagonist. I've only read the first. Punning titles tell you these are not grim noirs.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #75
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Re: Hillerman: The Blessing Way a book by Tony Hillerman (discussed above) is on sale for $1.99 at Amz. I didn't check other outlets:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Blessing-W...n&tag=bearm-20