Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 03-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
newita
Edge User

Question About 3g on entourage edge ?

Hi
I'm an Italian customer; sorry for my bad English. I'd like to buy the Entourage Edge 10.1, but I can't understand if the version proposed on this site or on Amazon has the 3G supplement, because there is not a description about the technical features of the 3G (http://www.entourageedge.com/devices...rage-edge.html), while the European reseller for Italy and Netherlands talks about the 3G. (http://www.ebookreaderstore.it/entou...ano-black.html)
Since I'd prefer to buy it on your site for economic reasons, I'd like to know why the 3G wording is not reported.
Thank you in advance

Old 03-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

The eDGe does not come with 3G, nor can it be upgraded to 3G now or in the future.

However, some 3G USB modems work with the eDGe. Alternatively, a good number of us use mobile hotspots ("mifi" devices) for internet connectivity when wifi isn't available.

Last edited by borisb; 03-17-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
sjarrel
Edge User

All dutch sites say: device not available anymore.

Correction: no white, black and red. Blue eDGe and PE are available.

Last edited by sjarrel; 03-17-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
TommyZ
Edge User

It's hoped my query will address newita's question as well...

I have kind of a quandry that involves mobile hotspots and 3G. I received a notice from my cable company (Time Warner) that they are offering a 3G (they say up to 4G) USB modem for $20/month. I can also get a mobile connection from Verizon for the same amount using my Droid-X as a hotspot. The main reason I'd like a mobile internet connection would be at work where it is prohibited to connect to their wireless system. I have to wait until I get home to have all my devices in synch, or to add something to my EE.

Any ideas which is better/easier/fastest?

Old 03-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
alefor
Edge User

The USB Modem may or may not work with the eDGe. A few do, but I dont know which ones that includes. A USB modem requires software compatibility with the device you plug it into (i.e. software drivers). Thus, unless you test it, you wont know if it will work with the eDGe. On the other hand, the Droid-X hotspot, I believe, is a WiFi hotspot. Fortunately, around the world, WiFi is WiFi (802.11 b/g/n) and thus the chances of the Droid-X working are nearly 100%. In addition, the Droid-X WiFi hotspot will work with any other WiFi enabled device (e.g. laptop, etc). Therefore, I strongly recommend the Droid-X method (assuming it's a WiFi hotspot and not a USB wired-tether). In my opinion, there are few reasons these days to ever use a USB Modem, when Pocket WiFi or phone WiFi hotspots are available and about the same price. WiFi compatibility as well as the chance to share your connection among devices (and even with friends) makes this the obvious best choice.

Last edited by alefor; 03-18-2011 at 10:52 AM.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
TommyZ
Edge User

Thanks alafor! Your well-written explanation/recommendation answered a number of questions. Now...how do I convince my wife that this is "needed"?

Old 03-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
sarah11918
Edge User

Agree 100% with alefor: a wifi hotspot is always more useful than a USB modem, in my opinion. Of course, my hubby and I are always traveling together, so we like that we can connect multiple devices. But even when you're out for coffee with a friend or something, it's very handy to have your own hotspot and connect any device you need to it.

As for convincing the wife (I have a similar, but different, problem! ) that it's necessary: will you be more easily reachable by her? Will you win money on bar trivia? Do you have a website or email account you need to check frequently for work that brings in extra $$?

If that fails, I totally suggest getting HER a wifi device so that she'll have something to use when you're both out. (It pays to be sneaky.)

Old 03-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
alefor
Edge User

Thanks Sarah...excellent points. Great ways to get spouse approval..... and as those of us with spouses know.... incredibly important! I have to keep your ideas in mind more in the future.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
guyjack
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
Agree 100% with alefor: a wifi hotspot is always more useful than a USB modem, in my opinion. Of course, my hubby and I are always traveling together, so we like that we can connect multiple devices. But even when you're out for coffee with a friend or something, it's very handy to have your own hotspot and connect any device you need to it.

As for convincing the wife (I have a similar, but different, problem! ) that it's necessary: will you be more easily reachable by her? Will you win money on bar trivia? Do you have a website or email account you need to check frequently for work that brings in extra $$?

If that fails, I totally suggest getting HER a wifi device so that she'll have something to use when you're both out. (It pays to be sneaky.)
oooohhh! Good idea Sarah!