Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
lippy
lippy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle dx
Conversion of HTML to UTF-8

I'm trying to convert a few CHM files with iso-8859-1 format. I'm getting some characters being converted incorrectly: for example:

instead of '-' I get 'Â'

I've attached a text file with a few examples of the characters.

At first I thought it was something to do with the chm conversion, but I extracted the underlying HTML files and I got similar results.

I've tried explicitly setting the "input character encoding" to iso-8859-1 and it didn't help. I also tried setting it on the html to zip plug in, to no avail.

Any ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: txt Incorrectly converted chars.txt (56 Bytes, 209 views)
lippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
convert the html directly and specify the correct character encoding.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
lippy
lippy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle dx
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post, but that's what I tried - I extracted the html and tried to convert and specified the correct character encoding. I still get things like: Â littered through-out.

Thanks
lippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In that case your html isnt utf-8
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote