Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

View Poll Results: What features would you like to see in iSilo and/or iSiloX?
Grouping support of channels (with headers, different colors, maybe collapsable...) 18 30.00%
Screen inversion (white on black) support 12 20.00%
Smaller image zoom to fit pda screen support 11 18.33%
Wireless support for web channel updates 12 20.00%
Wap/I-mode/Wireless Section 3 5.00%
Multithreaded downloading support (to increase performance) 15 25.00%
Remote .ixl support (for instance with a php-based web interface) 8 13.33%
Synchronisation at HotSync 15 25.00%
Content Extraction (define only certain parts of a HTML page) via RegEx 24 40.00%
Movie (e.g avi) support 4 6.67%
Image Zoom/Shrink 13 21.67%
Integrated PDF to HTML convertor 37 61.67%
Wap/WML to HTML parser 8 13.33%
Skin support 10 16.67%
Landscape-mode (screen rotated by 90 degrees), especially useful for Hi-Res+ displays 27 45.00%
Backup-bit support to specify whether generated clips should be hotsynced or not 8 13.33%
New/Unread file indicator and/or file generation date column 18 30.00%
Double-tap support to automatically select and copy a word (useful for dictionary usage) 25 41.67%
Favicons support for display of channels in iSiloX 6 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2003, 09:28 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Post iSilo and iSiloX Feature Wishlist

Here is a compiled list of individual feature requests for the development of iSilo and iSiloX. I closed the iSilo Wishlist section; in future, please reply to this thread if you can think of other still missing but potentially useful features.

This is our first step to make the forum more accessible.

I will make periodic updates to the list below and the poll options. Items which are marked green are already implemented in the latest version of iSilo and/or iSiloX.
  • iSiloX: Grouping support of channels (with headers, different colors, maybe collapsable...)
  • iSiloX: Refined link filter support (based on RegEx)
  • iSilo: Screen inversion (white on black) support
  • iSiloX: Smaller image zoom to fit pda screen support
  • iSilo: Wireless support for web channel updates
  • iSilo: Basic web forms support with ability to fill and sent them out on next Hotsync
  • iSiloX: Multithreaded downloading support (to increase performance)
  • iSiloX: Remote .ixl support (for instance with a php-based web interface)
  • iSiloX: Synchronisation at HotSync
  • iSiloX: Content Extraction (define only certain parts of a HTML page) via RegEx
  • iSilo: Movie (e.g avi) support
  • iSilo: Image Zoom/Shrink
  • iSilo/X: Better Font support (e.g. FontBucket, FontHack, Fonts4TT ...)
  • iSiloX: Integrated PDF to HTML convertor
  • iSiloX: Wap/WML to HTML parser
  • iSiloX: Integrated Scheduler
  • iSilo: Skin support
  • iSilo: Landscape-mode (screen rotated by 90 degrees), especially useful for Hi-Res+ displays
  • iSilo/X: Backup-bit support to specify whether generated clips should be hotsynced or not
  • iSilo: New/Unread file indicator and/or file generation date column
  • iSilo: Double-tap support to automatically select and copy a word (useful for dictionary usage)
  • iSiloX: Favicons support for display of channels in iSiloX
Old 08-05-2003, 09:09 AM   #2
bdjmobile
bdjmobile began at the beginning.

Additional wishes:
Have the fullscreen toggle be "sticky" - i.e., retain its setting across the viewing of multiple documents. ( Yes, I know I can turn off the title/scrollbars/Toolbar via the interface menu, but then I can't use any menus or commands without opening the slider on the TT. A sticky fullscreen mode allows me to do this by assigning fullscreen to a button.)

Have a method (in document list mode) to switch between categories via navigator pad or assigned hardware button.

Allow iSiloX to strip out entire rows and columns of a base table (useful for removing banners and navigators from a non-handheld site.)
Advert
Old 08-05-2003, 10:09 AM   #3
Kurz
Enthusiast
Kurz began at the beginning.

Device: Visor Platinum
Two things for iSiloX

Two suggestions:

1) are there .ixl tools? It'd be nice to swap a site link between ixl
lists without having to reenter the data (this could be troublesome given a longish list of exclusions/inclusions). It'd
be nice to easily import/export a list element, and I'd not mind if this were a standalone tool.

2) iSiloX is of, by and for the small screen -- therefore it should know (or have an option) when to condense excessive unused blank lines. Example: when you use X to grab a non-palm friendly website, you've got all the X formatting adjusted to reflow the text, but you've still got several blank lines -- that's annoying (to me, at least).
Old 08-05-2003, 06:51 PM   #4
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Another suggestion:

Integration within MS Office to convert word docs to iSilo would be a very nice feature, and cut out a lot of time for me personally, as I do a lot of saving to HTML and _then_ converting.

Regards,
Craig.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:51 PM   #5
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
One more item to add to the wishlist: the possibility of editing documents on the pda, to include adding formatting, especially highlighting
Advert
Old 08-06-2003, 06:21 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

iSiloX: Wish I could change the user-agent in a per channel setting.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:08 PM   #7
bdjmobile

oh - another wish - be able to launch the source url or file using the default application ( web browser, doc editor) from the iSiloX interface. That way if I have a channel that I think is having a problem, I can easily and quickly launch my desktop browser or text application to check it out. (i.e, select the channel from within iSiloX and with a right-click menu, launch my web browser or text application to examine the source content.)
Old 08-06-2003, 03:27 PM   #8
sfringer
sfringer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie T615C
Kurz,
In reply to your request number 1, exchanging entries between .ixl files. I think that's currently possible in iSiloX (tested in v3.35).
Open the source .ixl in iSiloX. Select the entry you want to move and select Edit|Copy.
Now open the destination .ixl file in iSiloX and select Edit|Paste. Everything should get moved over as expected.

Scott
Old 08-07-2003, 10:25 AM   #9
Kurz
Enthusiast
Kurz began at the beginning.

Device: Visor Platinum
Right. It works perfectly -- thanks for the tip. RTFM and all that

K
Old 08-21-2003, 11:33 AM   #10
ppetto
ppetto began at the beginning.

Sorting, Link Accumulator

There are two things on my wish list for iSilo:

(1) The ability to sort channels by title in iSiloX (and perhaps also by other things such as size or date)

(2) An "enhanced copy mode" in iSilo that instead of jumping to the unresolved link detail, copies the unresolved link to a pre-defined file. Currently when I see a pointer that interests me, I jump to the unresolved link page, highlight and copy the link to my clipboard, switch to another program (Natara DayNotez) and paste. Later on my desktop I can open Natara and my clicking, have my browser jump to those interesting links. And if they merit reading on my Tungsten T, I can hit the iSiloX Clipper. I'd like to make the first part of this routine a lot easier.

Chime in if you agree with either of these!
Old 08-21-2003, 12:31 PM   #11
broth
broth began at the beginning.

How about the ability to adjust the autoscroll speed - I find it to slow to use.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:41 PM   #12
bdjmobile

Up and down arrows

Use the up and down keys while autoscroll is on to change the speed. ( Down is faster, up is slower ).
Old 08-22-2003, 03:48 PM   #13
St0rmD
St0rmD began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten T2
In addition to the page-processing you mentioned (Strip parts of pages, or extract only certain content, the way MobiPocket's .enews XML parser works), I would like the ability to alter urls before following them. Some sites carry different versions of a story with nearly the same url. For instance, the New York Times accepts ?pagewanted=[1|2|all|print] at the end of a story url to get that version of the article. The "print" version is quite palm-friendly and it would be great if I could have iSiloX add that flag to all urls on that site, especially if combined with the nearly palm-friendly index page here.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:30 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally posted by St0rmD
In addition to the page-processing you mentioned (Strip parts of pages, or extract only certain content, the way MobiPocket's .enews XML parser works), I would like the ability to alter urls before following them. Some sites carry different versions of a story with nearly the same url. For instance, the New York Times accepts ?pagewanted=[1|2|all|print] at the end of a story url to get that version of the article. The "print" version is quite palm-friendly and it would be great if I could have iSiloX add that flag to all urls on that site, especially if combined with the nearly palm-friendly index page here.
Yup! That goes alone with the page-processing if it works via Regular Expressions which has strong capabilities for search & replace.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:41 PM   #15
pketh
pketh began at the beginning.

Device: sony sj22
rotate screen upside down

I've seen landscape mode (rotate 90) on the poll list - here's my suggestion: Go one step farther and allow the user to rotate the screen upside down as well, and have the up/down buttons remap to match a user holding the pda upside down as well. I ask this because w/ older DOCreaders such as CspotRun it was possible and I really liked the ability to use the handheld upside down for comfort reasons.

I use a SJ22 and if you try it on your's u may agree that for scrolling through ebooks it's much nicer to hold it upside down, so that the buttons are at the top. Also being able to switch up the way you hold a pda (especially for extended use) goes a long way to preventing cramping wrists .

Anyone agree?