Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
ctag
Teach your mods to read.
ctag will become famous soon enoughctag will become famous soon enoughctag will become famous soon enoughctag will become famous soon enoughctag will become famous soon enoughctag will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW2
Amazon Mandatory Firmware Upgrade

Just got an email from Amazon. Apparently they haven't totally forgotten that Kindles have software as I had suspected.

What can we expect from this. Some good features? More malevolent features?

Will this automatic update go through on jailbroken kindles?
ctag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There is no update specific to the email. They just want everyone to be on the latest for their device. You might already have it. Check to see what your FW version is, compared to the latest for your device.

ETA: i don't know about jailbroken Kindles. Earlier jailbreaks had to beremoved before you could do an updte. Check where you got the jailbreak. It should tell you.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2016, 02:35 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
There is no update specific to the email. They just want everyone to be on the latest for their device. You might already have it. Check to see what your FW version is, compared to the latest for your device.

ETA: i don't know about jailbroken Kindles. Earlier jailbreaks had to beremoved before you could do an updte. Check where you got the jailbreak. It should tell you.
If it is the latest firmware update , the jailbreak holds.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It is just to update security certificates, and probably to point to a different authentication server. No feature changes.

http://the-digital-reader.com/2016/0...ry-old-kindle/
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
rpgmaker
Connoisseur
rpgmaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I created a folder named "update.bin.tmp.partial" on the kindle root directory in order to block updates. My fw version is 5.4.5.1. Will I be safe from this update? I have kept that fw version because I use a font size hack without which I couldn't live. Please let me know if I'm safe or if I need to implement another hack. It's been a long time since I messed with my kindle. Thanks in advance.
rpgmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2016, 10:23 PM   #6
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I suspect this update is for Amazon to make sure people don't have dead kindles registered to their accounts. If I'm not mistaken, "transfer via computer" works for downloading purchased books if one has a physical kindle registered to the account.

The reason I suspect this is because the mail mentions that one must deregister the kindle if one does not have it available to go through this update process.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:54 PM   #7
ctag
Teach your mods to read.
ctag will become famous soon enoughctag will become famous soon enoughctag will become famous soon enoughctag will become famous soon enoughctag will become famous soon enoughctag will become famous soon enough

Awesome, good to know.

Turns out updates have been happening and I've just been ignoring them since they don't clobber the jailbreak. I'll see what happens with regards to deregistration, that's something to truly worried about if the update is required to keep the device associated with my account.

Thank you all.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:08 AM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Note according to the poster above you, Amazon says YOU must deregister the device. It does not say Amazon will deregister the device.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:11 AM   #9
ctag
Teach your mods to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Note according to the poster above you, Amazon says YOU must deregister the device. It does not say Amazon will deregister the device.
Oh, phew

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2016, 12:13 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The only thing the email says about deregistering is in the FAQ section...
Quote:
What if I no longer have one or more of my device?
If you no longer have or use your Kindle e-reader, deregister it from your account today. After logging into your Amazon account, click on the Your Devices tab and select the Kindle e-reader you want to deregister. Click Deregister.
Nothing says you have to deregister it, it's just a suggestion.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:17 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's the full email I got (a bit different from the one the OP got)...
Quote:
Your Kindle e-reader requires an important software update to continue downloading books and using Kindle services.

To receive the update, follow these steps:

• Plug your Kindle in to charge during the update.

• Turn on wireless.

• Leave your Kindle plugged in and connected to the wireless network overnight, or until the update is complete.

The software update will download and install automatically, even if your device is asleep. Your device may restart multiple times during the update process. You will get a final confirmation letter on your device when the update is complete.

If you do not update the device software by March 22, 2016, you will no longer be able to access Kindle services or get the update via connecting to a wireless network. To resume access, you will need to manually update the software on your Kindle. Please visit our Help page for more details on how to update automatically.

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I no longer have one or more of my device?
If you no longer have or use your Kindle e-reader, deregister it from your account today. After logging into your Amazon account, click on the Your Devices tab and select the Kindle e-reader you want to deregister. Click Deregister.

How do I connect to wireless?
You can find out more about connecting to wireless on our Help page.

How can I get help on updating my Kindle e-reader?
For more information, visit our Help page.

Thank you for reading with Kindle, and be sure to connect your device to a wireless network regularly to receive all future software updates.

Sincerely,
The Amazon Kindle Team
Old 02-13-2016, 12:31 AM   #12
rpgmaker
Connoisseur
rpgmaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Here's the full email I got (a bit different from the one the OP got)...
That one looks very different and it clearly conveys that you will need to update, which device and fw version are you on?
rpgmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:46 AM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgmaker View Post
That one looks very different and it clearly conveys that you will need to update, which device and fw version are you on?
I have a Kindle 2 us (2.5.6) and a Kindle Touch (5.3.7.3). The email I got seems to be a generic email, it's been posted here by others, sent to people and doesn't specify which device it refers too. I'm assuming it's the email howyoudoin was referring to since the email the OP posted says nothing about deregistering.

When I turned wireless on a notice downloaded to the K2 mentioning an update was needed with basically the same instructions as the email. There is indeed a version 2.5.8 for the K2.

@ctag, you can read more about the new update for newer model Kindle's in the following thread...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=270478
Old 02-13-2016, 01:28 AM   #14
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I have a Kindle 2 us (2.5.6) and a Kindle Touch (5.3.7.3). The email I got seems to be a generic email, it's been posted here by others, sent to people and doesn't specify which device it refers too. I'm assuming it's the email howyoudoin was referring to since the email the OP posted says nothing about deregistering.

When I turned wireless on a notice downloaded to the K2 mentioning an update was needed with basically the same instructions as the email. There is indeed a version 2.5.8 for the K2.

@ctag, you can read more about the new update for newer model Kindle's in the following thread...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=270478
Yeah, I got the same mail.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:15 AM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
I suspect this update is for Amazon to make sure people don't have dead kindles registered to their accounts. If I'm not mistaken, "transfer via computer" works for downloading purchased books if one has a physical kindle registered to the account.

The reason I suspect this is because the mail mentions that one must deregister the kindle if one does not have it available to go through this update process.
This is a paranoid and illogical statement.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, paperwhite, update