Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
iPad 2 Challenger Could Come as Amazon.com Android Tablet

Quote:
Analysts consider the notion that Amazon.com could build an Android tablet to compete with Apple's iPad 2 at a time when the Motorola Xoom, RIM PlayBook and HP TouchPad may struggle.
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-an...Tablet-506110/
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
What I find amazing;
".... which finds it lush e-book business challenged by sales of Apple's iBooks, which recently crossed 100 million downloads on the iPad and other iOS devices."

Sure, some people downloaded free ebooks just to try them out. BUT (yes, that is a big but) with over 100 million downloads someone must be doing a little reading.

It would be possible for Amazon to subsidize an amazonPad and still make money.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
What I find amazing;
".... which finds it lush e-book business challenged by sales of Apple's iBooks, which recently crossed 100 million downloads on the iPad and other iOS devices."

Sure, some people downloaded free ebooks just to try them out. BUT (yes, that is a big but) with over 100 million downloads someone must be doing a little reading.
I agree. I still remember when Apple first started selling music for .99 cents-very few people (including myself) thought they would have any chance to succeed, with the other options available at the time (both legal and otherwise). Over 10 billion songs later, I'm guessing someone must be doing a little listening too, probably while reading
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Why would they bother to build an Android tablet, when a horde of them are about to be unleashed upon a suspecting public?
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Amazon sells more books via it's iPad app than Apple does via it's iBookstore. The iPad has taken some sales of the kindle device from Amazon, but it's been a nice additional platform for the sale of kindle ebooks.

Amazon could release it's own "Color Nook", but it surely doesn't need to. With it's kindle app, it's Android app store, and it's music store -- Amazon is already a prime challenger against the iTunes, App Store Apple juggernaut. Let Samsung, HTC and LG make the devices and Amazon can concentrate on doing what it does well, creating a great selling service.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It could be the same reason that Apple is a success. To sell stuff to the people who buy their products.

Motorola, Del, Samsung, HP, and others are trying to sell A tablet. Apple is selling, or rather re-selling (Hosting?) apps, ebooks, music, etc.

If Amazon sells me a tablet, then I may buy - apps, ebooks, music, etc from them. Over the lifetime of the unit they'll make back any discount for the reader/tablet.

It's already been talked about how there are many people with Kindles who buy exclusively from Amazon. And some (hopefully only a few) think that you can only get books from Amazon.

Where it may all fall down is that if it is an open system people can get stuff from other sources.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
SameOldStory
My True Self

Huh???
Old 03-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Amazon sells more books via it's iPad app than Apple does via it's iBookstore. The iPad has taken some sales of the kindle device from Amazon, but it's been a nice additional platform for the sale of kindle ebooks.

Amazon could release it's own "Color Nook", but it surely doesn't need to. With it's kindle app, it's Android app store, and it's music store -- Amazon is already a prime challenger against the iTunes, App Store Apple juggernaut. Let Samsung, HTC and LG make the devices and Amazon can concentrate on doing what it does well, creating a great selling service.

Lee
I agree, why would amazon subsidize an android tablet in the hope of generating revenue to recover the subsidy and make money when they already have apps on all the platforms.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Amazon has a better shot at making a robust ecosystem than the competing Android tablets. Seems like most people don't realize how much of an advantage that is for Apple. Not only do people want a huge selection (no matter how well-walled it is) but Apple gets amazing money from the transactions, hence selling less expensive hardware and still raking in more cash.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

I remember when the first posts about the whole iOS apps and subscription tithe to Apple came to light. I mentioned it was likely more of a proactive attempt to stem stores like Amazon as well as B&N from selling other content that directly competes with Apple's iTunes on Apple's own branded hardware. When apps were only looking at ebooks I don't think Apple cared, then things got interesting.

I loved the article in the OP but more interesting were the comments. Oh, it's the usual fans on both asides of the skirmish line. But what is interesting is what none of them seem to understand, Amazon already sells movies, movie rentals as well as MP3's and print subscriptions like magazines and other periodicals. Meaning all Amazon needs is that Android App Store to equal, or maybe exceed Apple (only because of the Kindle Store) in the entire content arena. Then if Amazon offers a better deal to developers within their apps store then game-on.

The other thing none of those commenting mention is it's not as if Amazon has been sitting back and doing nothing while Apple grabbed an early lead in this one area. Amazon already has it's ducks in a row on content as above but also they had bought the touch panel tech company last year, 2010. I have mentioned before, Amazon did not make that purchase to let it rot on the vine. It's coming to a product soon, odds are this year.

I welcome it because I actually love Apple's small devices and though I am lukewarm on the iPad it's only because the that freaking Retina display on the Touch is beyond fantastic. So I decided to wait on an iPad as I felt they could do better on the display for the gawds awful price for a device that is basically still a late release beta grade device. iPad 3 should be a fully mature device though. So that is the device the competition should target.

I figure we will see the first gen of Amazon media devices be focused on Amazon Prime users, maybe even bundled with a K3. Amazon has an ready to roll OS in Android 3.x designed for tablets so they only need to maintain whatever custom wrapper they add to that platform. Big bunch of overhead there for the asking compared to Apple building theirs from ground zero. Some trade-offs for Amazon for sure but nothing to turn the device into a loser.

I just sense Amazon has been on top of this for a couple years now and we'll see something very nice late in 2011, say October or November. I also think we'll see a large format touch screen DX near the end of summer in time for college students.

Basically I love this level of speculation and potential competition. I expect we will certainly be underwhelmed with all of the devices as there seems to be a lot of "play it safe" in the slate device market. I just don't sense any will be worse than the iOS devices.

And oh yeah, by hitching their wagon to Android over iOS, Amazon is also leveraging all the device makers who simply do not have the retail store to add value to the devices so there might well be some co-branding or even re-branded slate devices sold under the Amazon flag not unlike what is currently done with CellCo's.

The latter portion of this year will be fun I suspect.

Last edited by snipenekkid; 03-13-2011 at 06:32 PM.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by moldrake View Post
Is the iPad 2 really bleeding from the sides?
This: http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/12/p...leeding-video/

Remember, as with the iPhone 4 antenna problems, or the Toyota problems, there are probably much more people who are happy with their purchases, than people who are not.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Like others have said, why would they really bother when they already have a presence on android and iOS. it just seems redundant.
of course, people would buy it that want color and want to stare into light bulbs while they read... No thanks!
As long as they keep making the e-ink screens then I'll be happy.

This type of speculation reminds me of when the ipad was announced: all these tech writers that should know better suddenly announced that the kindle was dead.
It looks like they're at it again here. They just can't seem to understand why someone would want a single-purpose e-ink device.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Not everyone is bothered reading on an LCD screen. My wife is not and I am not. So please do not lump everyone into the "why would they want to read on an LCD screen" group. Also, remember, when you use a computer chances are pretty good these days that you will be reading via LCD and watching TV via LCD.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #14
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
^My point is just that some seem to think that an LCD is a feature in an e-reader. It's not. If you don't mind reading on one, that's fine.

BTW, I'm not holding my monitor a foot away from my face for hours at a time, so that's really a different thing.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #15
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
^My point is just that some seem to think that an LCD is a feature in an e-reader. It's not. If you don't mind reading on one, that's fine.

BTW, I'm not holding my monitor a foot away from my face for hours at a time, so that's really a different thing.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote