Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2017, 09:23 PM   #61
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I have just done a little looking. From the only database backup I have with me now, the stats were working with firmware version 4.7.10364. While 4.7.10364 has only been released officially to the Aura ONE LE, it will be safe on all the Mark6 device. And, I have run it on all my Kobo devices with no problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:28 AM   #62
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I have a comment: I have the stat working for a book I sideloaded prior to the firmware change, I've got to check now if they work with book sideloaded later.

And a question: @davidfor, any special functionality at 4.7.10364?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:03 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I have a comment: I have the stat working for a book I sideloaded prior to the firmware change, I've got to check now if they work with book sideloaded later.

Working stats?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:30 AM   #64
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
From what I can see, the stats aren't being stored at all. Anything there before the firmware should stay unchanged.

And I reported the problem in the beta group. I think the response can be summed as:
Quote:
"Special"? I don't know, but it probably depends on if you are to lazy to lift you finger after swiping across the screen while reading kepubs.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:59 AM   #65
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But, but... That is in the last one, something like a fast forward (I discovered it by chance but I don't use it)
Old 12-22-2017, 06:23 AM   #66
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But, but... That is in the last one, something like a fast forward (I discovered it by chance but I don't use it)
You mean in 4.6.10075? I'm a little surprised at that. But, the version in 4.7.10364 is a bit different. Unfortunately, Kobo weren't happy with it and decided to delay it.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:18 AM   #67
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You mean in 4.6.10075? I'm a little surprised at that. But, the version in 4.7.10364 is a bit different. Unfortunately, Kobo weren't happy with it and decided to delay it.
Ok, I see what you say ( I've installed 364 in My Aura One to see if there was any difference after asking). You're right, it is not the same, but not something exciting. Nested collections or series sheet, that would be wonderful.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:06 AM   #68
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ok, I see what you say ( I've installed 364 in My Aura One to see if there was any difference after asking). You're right, it is not the same, but not something exciting. Nested collections or series sheet, that would be wonderful.
It is a function that has been asked for here. And matches a function on the Kindles. I'm not sure if I'd use it much.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #69
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

I'm sure I wouldn't.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:36 AM   #70
ElWorm
Zealot
ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.

Device: Kobo H2O, Paperwhite 3, Oasis 2, Pocketbook HD, Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsek View Post
Aura One here...I would love to use my KA1. However many times I start reading on it ...in some rare occasions no reaction while turning a page) I get sad and use my kindle voyage instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg10 View Post
I have a KA1 too ...slow response in turning pages and even no response some times,
I have the H2O first edition and have experienced this problem with every firmware version from the original factory version and every version up to and after 3.19.5761. I have experienced the problem three times now with the latest firmware. Although I like some of the new features, like the much faster opening of the library and the screen refresh at the start of each chapter, I decided to go back to the solid 3.19.5761. I can live with its drawbacks as long as the pages turn, and this firmware version has NEVER froze on me. I am glad this seems to be a problem only a few of us experience. I still have my fingers crossed that the next version will be a winner for me.
ElWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:24 PM   #71
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
I think you copy-pasted the wrong URL there.
Edit: fixed, cleaning up.

Last edited by ratinox; 12-24-2017 at 10:09 AM.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElWorm View Post
I have the H2O first edition and have experienced this problem with every firmware version from the original factory version and every version up to and after 3.19.5761. I have experienced the problem three times now with the latest firmware. Although I like some of the new features, like the much faster opening of the library and the screen refresh at the start of each chapter, I decided to go back to the solid 3.19.5761. I can live with its drawbacks as long as the pages turn, and this firmware version has NEVER froze on me. I am glad this seems to be a problem only a few of us experience. I still have my fingers crossed that the next version will be a winner for me.
I too have the original H2O and I have NEVER experienced what you are experiencing. My H2O works very well. I suggest you install 4.7.10413 and validate the ePub (or kepub) you are using that's acting up. If it doesn't validate (using epubcheck 4.0.2) then you need to fix it and once fixed, try it again. If it still isn't working, I suggest you factory reset and then install 4.7.10413.

I know this is not an issue with any of the firmware for the H2O. I don't know where your ePub is coming from, but something isn't right. It's either a problem with your eBook(s) or some other problem that (I hope) can be fixed with a factory reset and a reload of the new firmware.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
I think you copy-pasted the wrong URL there.
Thanks for catching that. It's now fixed.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #74
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The reading stats seem to be broken with this firmware version.

The estimated time remaining in a KePub book still works, and seems to be accurate, but the stats for the current book shown on my "Activity" page are all zeros even after I have been reading for hours, and the total hours read has not increased.

The problem of the stats not being shown on the ratings page after finishing a KePub book is probably just a side-effect of this, it sees that the stats are all zero and so doesn't display them.

(Edit: The heroine in this book is called Terisa Morgan, or sometimes Lady Terisa of Morgan. I feel like I've heard that name somwhere ...)
This is what baffles me about Kobo firmware development. They've been hammering on this thing for years and should have a rock solid operating system at this point that only needs a little fine-tuning now and then, but instead there are major bugs that have persisted across firmware releases (for instance, the two-finger light adjustment on the 1st generation Aura has been screwed up one way or another in every single release after 3.12.1), and it seems like every new release ships with significant new bugs that should have been caught during testing.

I love my Kobo and will probably buy another if anything ever happens to my beloved Aura, but seriously, what's the deal?
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:54 PM   #75
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
I love my Kobo and will probably buy another if anything ever happens to my beloved Aura, but seriously, what's the deal?
You're conflating operating system with applications. Because they do have a rock solid operating system. How often does your Kobo crash, dump core, spontaneously (seemingly) reboot, etc? If your experiences are anything like mine then the answer is never or close enough. Mostly because the OS doesn't change much and what does change is typically heavily tested well before Kobo start using it. It's a benefit of using a Linux kernel and Busybox.

Applications are an entirely different kettle of fish. This is things like the home screen, the ePub reader, the kePub reader, the PDF reader, etc. Applications are near-constantly moving targets. Kobo are developing for four generations of devices with different characteristics and features. Devices which don't lend themselves to rigorous automated testing because they're effectively appliances and not general purpose computers. And Kobo's development teams are much smaller than the global Linux kernel development community, and I would guess smaller than Amazon's Kindle crew.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote