Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-06-2018, 11:10 AM   #27676
RobertLCollins
Zealot
RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Yesterday I finished Becky Chambers' Record of a Spaceborn Few. It wasn't as tightly focused in terms of plot and characters as the other two books in her universe were. Yet it was still an intriguing exploration of the culture she's created. I did like how she tied the lives of the characters she introduces together. I hope she writes more in this universe.

Pondering what I want to read next...
RobertLCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #27677
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, Galaxy Tab A (2017)
Finished The Emperor's Codes: The Thrilling Story of the Allied Code Breakers Who Turned the Tide of World War II by Michael Smith.

First off, I wouldn't call it thrilling. Yes, it was a very interesting read, but there were few if any thrills involved here. I did like this book as a kind of companion to The Woman Who Smashed Codes... this one tells the British side of the story, and fills in some blanks the American versions of the War do not tell (or admit). It also brings a little more insight into how some of the higher-level codes worked and how they were cracked.

Fascinating stuff, not for everyone; like many things I read, heh.

Edit: also finished listening to The Two Towers (Audio) by J. R. R. Tolkien as narrated by Robert Inglis. On to The Return of the King. I am reading John Scalzi's The Last Colony.

Last edited by Dngrsone; 11-07-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #27678
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
I'm now re-reading my way through the Shanna Lauffey Time Shifters series in anticipation of the ninth book coming out soon. This is one series that gets progressively better!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:28 AM   #27679
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm currently reading Rashomon Gate by I J Parker and also Asimov's SF Magazine for Nov/Dec 2018.
Rashomon Gate was excellent. Mediaeval Japan mysteries. I'm keen to get the first one in the series now, and to read the rest. When they're on a good offer, anyway.

I've also now read The Hanging Tree by Ben Aaronovitch which was a splendid continuation of the series. Wonderful modern urban fantasy mixed with a police procedural.

And I've finished Georgia on my Mind and Other Places by Charles Sheffield. Which was OK, but I think I prefer his longer works.

Still reading Asimov's. I got a bit distracted by the two above.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #27680
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, Galaxy Tab A (2017)
Finished The Last Colony by John Scalzi. I don't know I am not more eager to read his stuff-- each book I've read has been good, engaging, etc, but for some unknown reason Scalzi is just not on my go-to short-list..

Anyway, read it, enjoyed it, got a couple more of his books in the TBR somewhere.

Meanwhile, I’ve begun reading Stirred by J. A. Konrath and Blake Crouch.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #27681
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new Kindle Oasis (2017)
Just finished Uncompromising Honor by David Weber. It was way better than the previous few books and I'm not sure where things go from here. I look forward to it though.

Now on to Artemis by Andy Weir.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #27682
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, original Papwerwhite, Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Finished The Last Colony by John Scalzi. I don't know I am not more eager to read his stuff-- each book I've read has been good, engaging, etc, but for some unknown reason Scalzi is just not on my go-to short-list..

Anyway, read it, enjoyed it, got a couple more of his books in the TBR somewhere.

Meanwhile, I’ve begun reading Stirred by J. A. Konrath and Blake Crouch.
That's pretty much how I feel. I enjoy his books when I read them, but he's not on my short list and I don't get excited when he has a new one. Strange.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #27683
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just read Michael Connelly’s latest book, Dark Sacred Night and it was excellent. Give it five stars. And he hints at the end where the next book is going and I will preorder it just like I did this one!

Next up, the new Lee Child book; Past Tense.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:02 PM   #27684
C-novice
Connoisseur
C-novice began at the beginning.

Device: kobo ARC, Samsung Tab4, PCLinuxOS-KDE5
Just started Yuval's Sapiens.

Coming from a total different perspective about this issue, it sure starting out as a 'brow raiser' and 'eye-twinkling' kind of experience so far.
C-novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM   #27685
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Listening to Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum and reading Ahmed Saadawi's Frankenstein in Baghdad.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote