Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
franknarf
franknarf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen
Wifi connection fails on KPW 2

On my Kindle Paperwhite generation 2, I get the following popup window when attempting to connect to my wifi network:

Quote:
Connection Failed
Your Kindle connected to the Wi-Fi network but could not reach the Internet. Contact your Internet Service Provider for further assistance.
My wifi network works just fine for my Android phone, iPad Air and HP laptop, but the Kindle only gives that cryptic message. And my Kindle connects okay to the unreliable wifi networks nearby (but they go in and out and are frequently down).

Does anyone know if there is some way to make this work? I started a support request with Amazon, but they made it clear they had no idea what I was talking about and would like to run through a bunch of troubleshooting steps over the phone. I figured I'd post here first in case someone was familiar with this. Thanks for any help.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aside. My wifi comes from Windows' built-in hostednetwork running on my PC. This is not an "adhoc network," which I hear Kindle does not support; these are two different things. My device supports 100 clients, so that isn't it either...

Further aside. This forum is a great resource, and thanks to it, I haven't up 'til now had a problem (on other mobile devices or with Calibre) I couldn't solve!

Last edited by franknarf; 04-28-2014 at 06:45 PM. Reason: explain acronym in title
franknarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
Murmelantes
Murmelantes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Could be a DNS issue...
Have you tried to add the network manually?
You can specify some DNS in advanced settings, maybe that would help!
Murmelantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Hold the power button for 60 seconds and do a reset. I've had to do that a couple of times to make connection to Wi-Fi.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Hold the power button for 60 seconds and do a reset. I've had to do that a couple of times to make connection to Wi-Fi.
60 seconds??!! I thought it was only 20!
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
15-20 seconds usually does it for me...
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:11 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You will often see recommendations to hold down the power button on insert_device_here for overlong periods of time (usually 60 seconds) since it can be difficult to tell if you did it for long enough and people -- especially the non-techy ones -- are prone to letting go mere seconds too early. Tech support assumes no one can mess up by 2/3 of the instructed timespan.

And thus the rumor propagates.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
franknarf
franknarf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen
Hi, thanks for all your suggestions! Good to know about that reset option; I had only tried powering off and on.

I gave up, waited several hours and tried again, and it worked. Thanks again
franknarf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paperwhite2, wifi