Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
David444
David444 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thumbs down Avoid KOBO Wi fi due to hardware problems

I purchased 4 of these units for in December of 2010 for family members.

I had to replace all 4 at least once, one of them 5 times and at this point only 2 are useable.

The problems all appear to be hardware design or manufacturing with 2 consistent problems on the units that we purchased and on the replacement units provided during the warranty period: 1- Much too short battery life and 2 - cracks developing next to the D button that is used to navigate.

In all I have received over 10 units during the one year from purchase (multiple replacements). Of the 4 people who got them in our household only 2 people now have units that are useable and only one of them comes reasonably close to meeting the specifications that Kobo indicates should be received on this unit.

Please note that I found the units usable other than this but having to replace one unit 5 times during the first year was ridiculous. My personal one again has a crack next to the D button and the battery lasts less than 12 hours. I called Kobo and they advised that as it is now out of warranty they will do nothing.

I will be throwing mine away and given the consistency of problems with the units I recommend that you avoid this product. I will be avoiding Kobo completely.

I hope that you find this information to be useful.
David444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
We have two Kobo WiFi in our family that have worked flawlessly since purchased--that would be the first week they were made available. No hardware problems at all. The software/firmware updates made the device really, really a great product.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Mine still works perfectly fine after one year of almost every day use
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
spatula
spatula began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
I have had a wifi for a year and a half now. Reading it on a daily basis. I have not had any problems with it.
spatula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
My wife has had hers for over a year and never had a problem with it.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I got my BFF one almost 2 years ago for her birthday and she's had zero problems with it.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I'll add my voice to the mix. DH and I purchased Kobo WiFis the day they were released and they're still going strong (we passed them on to our daughters when we upgraded to the Touch model.)
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
I had to replace all 4 at least once, one of them 5 times
That's certainly an amazing run of bad luck.

I gave one to my daughter-in-law two years ago and still no problems, and I bought myself one at the same time and admit the D-pad button rubber pulled away after about a year, but that fault has no effect on how it works.

The battery life (as long as the Wi-Fi is turned off) is amazing.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #9
ErinLindsey
ErinLindsey began at the beginning.

Device: K-Fire, Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kobo, iPad3, iPad Mini, HTC Evo
I bought my Kobo last summer when Borders was having their going out of business sale. My Kobo is great! I have two e-ink Kindles (a K2 and a K3) and a Kindle Fire, and lately I've been doing more reading on my Kobo than the other three readers. (I download fanfiction in epub format from the internet, and have been reading fanfic more than commercial books lately)

I havent had a problem yet with the page turn button cracking or anything. I make sure not to use my fingernails to press the buttons. Little worried that my fingernails will damage the buttons. My Kobo has always had a cover (learned that lesson from the Kindles). The Kobo might ride around in my purse a lot, but it's held up just as well as the Kindles have.

My only issue is battery life. I charge my Kindles every couple of months. (the Fire gets charged more often, every few weeks, more often if I use it a lot)

The Kobo gets charged every couple of weeks, but I realized that it's battery life lasts longer if I turn the Kobo off completely when I'm not using it. It's not quite like the Kindle 3 where I can leave the Kindle on screensaver with the wifi turned off for nearly a month and still have a decent charge. If I'm parking the Kobo for any length of time, it gets turned off completely. I try to make sure to leave the wifi off on all my e-readers.
ErinLindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:39 AM   #10
blastyrant
blastyrant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blastyrant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blastyrant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: KOBO WIFI
@David444: from my understanding the battery will gain more charge the more you charge it. when put into sleep mode i can read comfortably at night for 2 weeks before the unit requires a charge. if i turn it off i can read for 2-3 months. you failed to mention how you charged it, the issue with your battery burning up so quickly could easily be due to a faulty charger or an over-powered USB port. also you did not mention if you left wifi on, as that would also help to eat up the battery much quicker.

as for the d-pad issue, its a known problem. the glue can come loose after some time, on some units. it's a design flaw as far as i am concerned, but a very minor one. i've yet to experience it, but from what i have read a small dab of super glue applied with a toothpick will solve the problem.

i'm sorry, but the d-pad rubber lifting from the case is not enough of a reason to not recommend the kobo wifi. until you prove otherwise your battery issues remain yours alone, yet to be fully debugged.

Last edited by blastyrant; 06-11-2012 at 02:59 AM.
blastyrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, crack, hardware problems, kobo wifi