Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-05-2018, 02:03 AM   #1
kra28
kra28 began at the beginning.

Device: M96
Onyx Boox Note or Onyx Boox Note Plus?

Hello,
I have M92 and M96 and it seems that Boox Note is better than these older devices. I am afraid of bugs in the software, but it is unfortunately a normal situation in the world of EInk readers. I decide between Onyx Boox Note and Onyx Boox Note Plus. Can you write me please a personal experience? From my point of view the screen of the original Note is better for long-time reading and occasional writing compared to the glass surface of Note Plus, but I have not a personal experience.

Thank you,

Michal
kra28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:54 AM   #2
hkckoo
Connoisseur
hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Aura One
Screenwise I dont really see a difference between Note and Note+. Just better build quality. the screen doesnt flex on touch, the original Note was a bit wonky like that. imho the Note+ is what the Note should have been.
hkckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2018, 03:44 AM   #3
kra28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkckoo View Post
Screenwise I dont really see a difference between Note and Note+. Just better build quality. the screen doesnt flex on touch, the original Note was a bit wonky like that. imho the Note+ is what the Note should have been.
Thank you, it means no disadvantages of Note Plus, only advantages? m
Old 10-06-2018, 02:12 AM   #4
crAss
Connoisseur
crAss began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Have you been able to overcome the problem with google store certification using some proposals as in the next link?
https://www.xda-developers.com/how-t...-google-error/

Also is the stylus feeling the same between the two devices? Do you prefer one over the other for note taking due to the different screen material? I guess the stylus is the same.
crAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:09 AM   #5
GiantIguana
GiantIguana began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by crAss View Post
Have you been able to overcome the problem with google store certification using some proposals as in the next link?

Also is the stylus feeling the same between the two devices? Do you prefer one over the other for note taking due to the different screen material? I guess the stylus is the same.
I did the registration of my Note+ following the instructions on the site above and the Play store now works fine.

I've never used a Boox Note, but I don't have any problem writing using a stylus on the hard surface of my Note+.

BTW, the stylus that comes with my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 phone and the Wacom stylus I use with my laptop both work fine on my Note+. The Samsung stylus feels more rubbery.
GiantIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2018, 07:04 AM   #6
forestfelix
Leaf of Grass
forestfelix began at the beginning.

Device: PW, Note Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by crAss View Post
Worked on my Note Lite.
forestfelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:54 AM   #7
pabloso
pabloso can extract oil from cheesepabloso can extract oil from cheesepabloso can extract oil from cheesepabloso can extract oil from cheesepabloso can extract oil from cheesepabloso can extract oil from cheesepabloso can extract oil from cheesepabloso can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
I'm really torn between Note and Note+

From blog.the-ebook-reader.com

Quote:
...But the glass does add some extra weight. Onyx lists the weight of the Note Plus at 360 grams compared to 325 grams for the regular Note.
Quote:
In my review of the Onyx Boox Note, my biggest complaint was the build quality could be better, and it’s possible to leave indentations on the screen if you press overly hard with the stylus. The rigid glass front should eliminate that, but the only downside is writing on glass feels a lot different than writing on a flexible surface with some give.
Quote:
Personally I really disliked the glass screen on the cheaper Onyx Boox Note S, but the glass does have the advantage of being more durable and scratch-resistant
Quote:
I didn’t like the glass screen on the Note S at all. I was just using the Note the other day and was thinking how much better it feels without a glass screen. I’ve come to really like the feel of the screen protector and I usually hate screen protectors, but it’s a lot closer to the feel of paper than glass.
From goodereader.com

Quote:
One of the big advantages of a glass based display is that the screen is completely flush with the bezel. It ensures that you can draw from the very edge of the screen to the other and can press really hard with the stylus and not scratch the screen. I am a big fan of glass screens because it is easier to swipe and gesture when using Android apps or turning the pages of an ebook.
Quote:
I find a glass display is the better buy, because you don’t need a screen protector and the glass is scratch-proof.
pabloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:42 AM   #8
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloso View Post
[...]
The first answer would be: «Well, write some pages on a mirror, read them, and evaluate the experience. And since you have developed pre-frontal lobes, you could could just simulate and take your provisional conclusions».
EDIT: and keep judgement alive, instead of butchered by the demeaning anti-intellectual violence of the current medieval times.

Thing is, I have watched a couple of videos and I cannot see there the reflection I expect. But I had seen the E43, the phone, and (while I would have bought it) no, it was not properly usable naked, out-of-the-factory. Looks quite posh, just do not ask it to be adequate for functional purposes.

You need six in the morning, no-makeup videos.

Last edited by mdp; 10-30-2018 at 08:44 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:31 PM   #9
jra166
Enthusiast
jra166 doesn't litterjra166 doesn't litter

Device: Boox N96
The flush glass screen of the Note Plus really makes this feel like a premium device. I have the 13.3" Sony and was waiting on a flush screen from Onyx before I purchased a 10" device. Still optimizing it with my favorite/smooth apps, but so far I love it.

Also purchased a Lenovo Thinkpad tablet 2 Bluetooth keyboard:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...LODO9N5A&psc=1
and case:
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkP...KZ3HDER537C23P

They are a perfect fit for the Note+.

Only other experience with Onyx is that I previously had the N96 and I sent it back as it felt cheap and slow.
jra166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #10
nozonyan
Enthusiast
nozonyan began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloso View Post

From blog.the-ebook-reader.com

From goodereader.com
I contacted onyx itself. They said that the flush glass screen is indeed more slippery while writing on than the standard screen. But to fix that they are adding a new set of nibs for free made exactly to have a better writing feeling.

You can get them as a special promotion when you purchase the note+ on amazon. Just add everything to cart and cover+nibs will be free at checkout.
nozonyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:08 AM   #11
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
note plus all the way, just add a mate screen protector
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #12
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
Here's my experience of the Note and Note Plus. I got a Note first, then after two weeks the battery died. It seemed to lose the ability to work out what the charge was, either showing 100% or zero. I can't work out what killed it, possibly my high speed charger from my phone?

Now that Amazon have that device back I ordered a Note Plus, it is not as good to write on, the glass doesn't feel as good as the plastic (and for my Note I had got a screen cover from mobile outfitters at great expense). I'm not going to put a screen protector on it for a couple of weeks this time to save the expense if this one also blows up.

Anyway, the major issue with the Note Plus is still the lack of Google Play. It is a royal pain in the derriere to get it working, and I've just spent a couple of hours messing around to finally get it to recognize my account and synchronize my purchases.

So, I'd stick with the Note if you like making Notes!

Last edited by james_; 11-02-2018 at 04:33 PM.
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:42 AM   #13
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ View Post
I can't work out what killed it, possibly my high speed charger from my phone?
My battery issue is with a n96ml, but I’ve probably been guilty of using phone chargers as well. I also leave it charging, and often let it decharge.

Quote:
Anyway, the major issue with the Note Plus is still the lack of Google Play. It is a royal pain in the derriere to get it working, and I've just spent a couple of hours messing around to finally get it to recognize my account and synchronize my purchases.
I havent used play store on my Boox for a while, I wondered if it’s still possible. I recall this article: https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...ss-google-play
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:27 AM   #14
kra28

Solution - Boox Note

Hi,
finally I bought Boox Note, it seems that it is better for me than Note Plus. It is surprise for me that Boox Note is incomparably better than M96 or M92. It seems that it is finally a usable e-reader.

Michal
Old 11-09-2018, 05:25 AM   #15
lepau
Connoisseur
lepau doesn't litterlepau doesn't litter

Device: M92
Quote:
Anyway, the major issue with the Note Plus is still the lack of Google Play.
Great!
If it doesn't connect to Google, that would be one of THE reasons for me to buy it!
lepau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onyc boox note, onyx boox note plus