Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
City by Clifford D. Simak

'On a far future Earth, mankind's achievements are immense: artificially intelligent robots, genetically uplifted animals, interplanetary travel, genetic modification of the human form itself. But nothing comes without a cost. Humanity is tired, its vigour all but gone. Society is breaking down into smaller communities, dispersing into the countryside and abandoning the great cities of the world. As the human race dwindles and declines, which of its great creations will inherit the Earth? And which will claim the stars?'

Goodreads

~Though reading or discussing any version is fine (and could be interesting to compare and contrast), the nominated version doesn't have the added coda, is from 1952 and won the International Fantasy Award.~

We're trying something new - discussion sections - as an encouragement to keep those reading on more of a similar timeline to foster more discussion. These are only softly recommended however and not required at all. Anyone can discuss any part or aspect of the selection at any time. We do ask that if you want to discuss something pertaining to a later section earlier that you put it in spoiler quotes, but if you happen to not then that's fine too.

Recommended discussion timeframe:

~062 pages, In 00 days, around Thursday the 09th of August, the first quarter

~125 pages, In 07 days, around Thursday the 16th of August, half

~188 pages, In 14 days, around Thursday the 23rd of August, three quarters

~251 pages, In 21 days, around Thursday the 30th of August, the entire selection

This is the MR Literary Club selection for August 2018. Everyone is welcome so feel free to start or join in the conversation at any time; the more the merrier!

Click image for larger version

Name:	9780739435267-us-300.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	165501Click image for larger version

Name:	ctjcqcxphd1965.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	165504Click image for larger version

Name:	1ea04a1ab863fb63656f56a973e5c9d9.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	165499Click image for larger version

Name:	7ab1b43156162fe4af4b3049d0f87501.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	165500Click image for larger version

Name:	cd6eda40b9877350d50a99ac90da5c7c.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	165503Click image for larger version

Name:	188296828X.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	165502
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:42 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
This book should be a very interesting read. Thank you, fantasy fan, for nominating it. It’s good to get out of your comfort genres and try something different, and I do enjoy books with a dystopian aspect. Not available in my Overdrive library but I did find it in Hoopla and Scribd.

I can use my new literary term from last month’s NLBC discussion about Dandelion Wine. It’s another fix-up book!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #3
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I was glad this book came up as I like "better" ("better" being that which suits me ) science fiction but I don't get around to reading much of it. The last was, in fact, the "fix-up" The Martian Chronicles here in the Literary Club.

Have spent a few spare moments on it; looks very interesting.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #4
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I am three stories into the collection, and I am enjoying it immensely. The first story was particularly timely on a number of levels.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #5
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
The online Science Fiction Encyclopedia has an extended article about Simak. Here’s the link:

http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/simak_clifford_d

Of course since City is his best known work it gets some discussion (but there are spoilers).

I find “Huddling Place” a very dark story. Simak has been categorised as being an optimistic “pastoral” science fiction author but I think he is much more nuanced than that. I feel that this story is an example. The role of the robot is particularly important In feeding into Webster’s fears.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 08-10-2018 at 04:37 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I'm coming a little late to the discussion, but I'll be able to read the first 68 pages today since we are rained and fogged in. I agree this book looks interesting. I have not read science fiction yet this year, I've been challenging myself to read fantasy this year. I looked the book up, after astrangerhere suggested it in the reading challenge discussion thread. So I can add this one to my fantasy challenge as well.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Welcome, Wearever! We just picked the book, and we are relaxed about discussions. I have just started reading this weekend too.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #8
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Welcome Wearever!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:25 PM   #9
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the welcome! Bookworm_Girl & fantasyfan.
I've read the first story of the book over the weekend, I thought of the ghost cities of China. It seems very few want or can afford to live in them.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:41 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

What a great visualization! I hadn't thought of the Chinese cities that sit empty with all those skyscrapers just waiting for people. Your statement reminded me of the Northern Cyprus cities that used to be booming tourist areas, especially popular with the celebrities of that era.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #11
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I'm coming a little late to the discussion, but I'll be able to read the first 68 pages today since we are rained and fogged in. I agree this book looks interesting. I have not read science fiction yet this year, I've been challenging myself to read fantasy this year. I looked the book up, after astrangerhere suggested it in the reading challenge discussion thread. So I can add this one to my fantasy challenge as well.
I had no idea anyone paid any attention to my geeky posts over in that thread! Glad to be of service.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #12
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
What a great visualization! I hadn't thought of the Chinese cities that sit empty with all those skyscrapers just waiting for people. Your statement reminded me of the Northern Cyprus cities that used to be booming tourist areas, especially popular with the celebrities of that era.
I know there is something very eerie in seeing an abandoned or empty city.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #13
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I had no idea anyone paid any attention to my geeky posts over in that thread! Glad to be of service.
Lol. Glad you did ! I'm usually lamenting my challenges there. It helps keeps me on track though.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:11 PM   #14
Wearever
Wizard

Finished the second tale, and the progression of man to continue to isolate himself has really got me thinking. Are we there ?

I also really enjoy the dog perspective on Man or Myth ?
Old 08-15-2018, 09:03 PM   #15
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
Finished the second tale, and the progression of man to continue to isolate himself has really got me thinking. Are we there ?
The atomic-powered personal aircars are still not there. However, From the radio era on, haven't we been retreating into smaller and smaller community units? I know quite a few people who live in suburban houses by themselves. If boomers haven't physically jettisoned the city completely, they certainly have left it mentally in many cases.

The stories really are classic mid-20th-century. The aircars are right out of Popular Mechanics, likewise the robots. What I find odd is that TV doesn't seem to appear in the early story - just radio.

I have to question Simak's science - it's more like fantasy. Although DNA hadn't been scientifically established, Simak's biology seems to be out of Cuvier.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote