Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #1
htm
htm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Future Amazon updates to files Calibre renames

I tried finding an answer in the forum but came up empty. I buy a book from Amazon, I import it into Calibre. I fix some of the metadata, etc. I notice that the file in the Calibre library has been changed. ("Delicious Foods - James Hannaham" was changed to "Delicious Foods_A Novel - James Hannaham"). When I downloaded it from Amazon, it was called "Delicious Foods- A Novel".

How does Amazon know to update it if an update is ever available? Does it just download a new copy of the file with the original name?

I love how Calibre normalizes the author's name (first/last) and allows you to sort and display in whatever order you prefer. But is it a good idea to change the underlying file name?

Or is this even a problem?

I ask because I was notified that there was an update for "Feed". When I did it, Amazon replaced my .azw3 file with a .kfx file (which DeDRM is unhappy with). Now it appears as though I have 2 different books? Is it best just to treat it that way?

Thanks!
htm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:49 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Amazon does not have a hook into the Library.
If you do a (amazon) metadata download, it will use the official name.

But the key is: You must do the metadata download for that to happen

Now: If you do some sync to an Amazon device (real or emulated), Those talk to Amazon and may update their version.
Then if you sync to calibre ???
My K devices rarely have their WiFi on, so I am taking an educated guess
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Amazon does not use file names for syncing. It uses an internal metadta field that contains the asin. calibre does not touch that field.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #4
htm
htm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Amazon does not use file names for syncing. It uses an internal metadta field that contains the asin. calibre does not touch that field.
Ah, that explains it! So when Amazon updates a book, I would need to delete the Calibre copy and re-import the new one (for drm removal, for instance), just as I did initially?

One problem I ran into was that the Amazon update changed the file extension, and DeDRM is unhappy with that, but that's an issue for a thread somewhere else.

Would you happen to know if Amazon maintains the Calibre copy's file name when it updates it (as long as the extension doesn't change)? My concern is that I wind up having multiple copies of the same file, etc. I guess I could just notice that I have 2 copies and delete one of them.

I was just curious how people handled this, as it seems as though it happens frequently. I only have 30 purchased books on Amazon, and 4 of them have updates available. I used to just ignore them, but once I saw they added Real Page Numbers and really expanded the XRay info for Game of Thrones. They never tell you in advance what they're actually updating. A recent one (to "Feed") changed the extension and enhanced some font capability or something (and I'm not sure I'm as concerned with those types of updates).

Thanks! Calibre is awesome, by the way!!
htm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
to keep your existing metadata, don't delete the record,( you may want to just remove the format)

Depending on what Calibre Preferences: 'Adding Books' setting will determine what is done when a dupe title is detected)

A post Add Merge (if a) new record (format was a dup) into the Old Record may be needed
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert