Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Outback Series - by Aaron Fletcher - WOW!

My father loves this author and can't seem to get enough. In fact, the paperbacks are coveted as prized collector's items, with members scouring used bookstores searching for all the titles by Aaron Fletcher.

It seems as if readers of this Outback Series are fanatical about these books; and no one really seems to know what happened to the author. It's as if he disappeared into the outback. Or died, most likely. But who really knows? No one is telling.

Ever so often I would find myself puzzling over this writer, tempted to buy one, but then quickly dismissing the thought. These looked like romance books, and I could care less about Romance: It's not something I care to invest my time in.

Yet....

And yet....

I kept coming back to Amazon to see if any more titles were released.

Finally, checking yesterday, it looked like all 5 titles were (and now are) available. So I dipped into the first one, reading the sample online, saying to myself "well, why not?"

And I couldn't stop reading!

So I bought it. The first one in the series, called "Outback."

Let me tell you right now: These are not Romance novels. Oh, no. These are adventure novels that take place in the Outback of Australia. The narrative is addictive, engaging, fun. The characters are alive on the page!

I'm only on page 60, but I had to stop reading to let everyone know how much I'm enjoying this title and to spread the word about Aaron Fletcher.

I'll be buying the remaining 4 titles.

I also plan to call my father and tell him that I am now a fan of the mysterious (deceased?) Aaron Fletcher.

Here are the series, at $2.99 each:

1) Outback
2) Outback Station
3) Walkabout
4) Wallaby Track
5) Outback Legacy
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I assume whoever's publishing them knows what became of the author.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Here are the series, at $2.99 each:

1) Outback
2) Outback Station
3) Walkabout
4) Wallaby Track
5) Outback Legacy
These are also available form Amazon UK, at £3.49 each.

According to GoodReads, Aaron Fletcher also writes under the name James Reasoner. The publisher of the Kindle versions of his books is Montlake Romance.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I assume whoever's publishing them knows what became of the author.

I wouldn't assume that, since the original publisher is no longer the current publisher.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-21-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Are these available in ePub?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I wouldn't assume that, since the original publisher is no longer current publisher.
But they aren't out of copyright, and the money's got to go somewhere.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Are these available in ePub?

Kobo doesn't carry them. Beyond that, I didn't check.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
These are also available form Amazon UK, at £3.49 each.

According to GoodReads, Aaron Fletcher also writes under the name James Reasoner. The publisher of the Kindle versions of his books is Montlake Romance.

Mike
From this website:

http://www.theintrepidreader.com/201...hor-aaron.html

Ken, No, [I'm not Aaron Fletcher] Aaron Fletcher is a totally different guy, and that's his real name, as far as I know. We both wrote under the name Dana Fuller Ross at different times. He wrote #17 - 24 of the Wagons West series, and I wrote the two Wagons West prequel trilogies, The Frontier Trilogy and The Empire Trilogy. I think Fletcher has written under a few other names, too, but I don't recall them at the moment. And of course he's published a number of books under his own name.
Ken (KennethBrock@shaw.ca)
Old 01-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

A purported photo of Aaron Fletcher, from Fantastic Fiction.

Do you know this man?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fletcher.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	118203  
Old 01-22-2014, 04:04 AM   #10
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Well you got me interested in these stories and the author too.

Amazon Aus sells them but not Kobo Aus (or India).

My local library doesn't have his books, I haven't heard of him before (not that unusual) and am intrigued by what seems like a male following who may not be based in Aus.

Thanks for the thumbs up on this series Dr Drib

(PS I don't know if you also want to include a cheapish one in the Historical Fiction thread in the Freebies sub forum)
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:22 AM   #11
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
The Goodreads publisher info includes:

Published September 1st 2007 by Leisure Books (first published 1978)

Wiki says this about Leisure Books

Quote:
Leisure Books is an imprint of Dorchester Publishing specializing in horror and thriller mass market paperbacks. As of 2000, Leisure Books was the only U.S. publisher with a line of horror books. Leisure Books has published novels and collections by a number of horror's notable authors, such as: Richard Laymon, Graham Masterton, Ray Garton, Stacy Dittrich, Jack Ketchum, and Douglas Clegg. Leisure horror titles have won numerous awards, including the Bram Stoker Award, the International Horror Guild Award, and the World Fantasy Award.

Effective September 2010, Leisure Books, along with the remainder of Dorchester's mass market paperback lines, were canceled as print publications. Future titles were slated to be available only as e-books.
Montlake Romance is the Amazon listed publisher, and on Montlake's home page they say about themselves:

Quote:
Named after a Seattle neighborhood, Montlake Romance delivers happily-ever-afters for all romantic reading tastes, from steamy to sweet, from sweeping historicals to provocative paranormals.
Edit

Aaron Fletcher is not listed as being one of Montlake's authors (that I could find)

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 01-22-2014 at 04:26 AM. Reason: add the Edit
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:30 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Well you got me interested in these stories and the author too.

Amazon Aus sells them but not Kobo Aus (or India).

My local library doesn't have his books, I haven't heard of him before (not that unusual) and am intrigued by what seems like a male following who may not be based in Aus.

Thanks for the thumbs up on this series Dr Drib

(PS I don't know if you also want to include a cheapish one in the Historical Fiction thread in the Freebies sub forum)

I would suggest that you do what I did: Go to Amazon and read on-line (or download the sample if you have a Kindle) and see if it's up your alley.

Please make a post in that other thread, if you feel it is appropriate.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:36 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Lynx-lynx, about Montlake Romance:

I don't know if they are authorized or not to make these available, considering the status of Dorchester. Who knows, it may be a shady area, although my assumption is that they are legally copyrighted.

I can tell you this: "Outback Station" is not published by Montlake, but the other four titles are.

"Outback Station" (I think) has been available for a while, but those other titles from Montlake only recently became available.

I went ahead and purchased the remaining four titles, yesterday, since I don't want the one I had purchased earlier to become orphaned, due to some copyright issue.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #14
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
From the descriptions on the Amazon page, it definitely comes across as romance - the epic sort, in the vein of Gone with the Wind or The Thorn Birds. Not a genre I've read for several years, but it sounds interesting so I'll have a look at the sample. Are you interested in recommendations for similar works?
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
From the descriptions on the Amazon page, it definitely comes across as romance - the epic sort, in the vein of Gone with the Wind or The Thorn Birds. Not a genre I've read for several years, but it sounds interesting so I'll have a look at the sample. Are you interested in recommendations for similar works?

Yes, I'm interested in recommendations for similar works if you can name some. (No romance, please.)

I would like to add, however, that so far this is no romance book. It does not come across as an 'historical romance' either.

Whatever it is, I'm certainly enjoying it.