Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 03:40 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Improved ePub support on PRS-300/600

Can anyone confirm whether or not the limitations of ePub support in the PRS-505/700 have been removed in the new devices? Does it now display fully justified text, and support "flows" >300k in size within an ePub book?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
ultramookie
almighty trouble creator
ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: bn nook
Not sure about the flows > 300k, but it does not display fully justified text from epub files. From what I have been reading in the forums, looking at the Linux code for the 300 vs 505, there's not much difference.
ultramookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you get a chance, could you try it with this book:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53475

It has >300k flows. It works on devices like the Opus, but not on the PRS-505 and 700. I'd be interested to know if it works on the new devices - I suspect that it will.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did try an ePub someone posted to MR that was made with 1024k flows to test the 300/600 and on the 600 it did not work. So I'd say that the 300k per flow restriction still exists. Also, on the 600, there was no full justification.

But to be honest, it really doesn't matter because if ePubs were made not to the mobile ADe spec, then there would be a lot of 505/700 owners not happy and I cannot see publishers doing that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
jotas
Connoisseur
jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: who knows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But to be honest, it really doesn't matter because if ePubs were made not to the mobile ADe spec, then there would be a lot of 505/700 owners not happy and I cannot see publishers doing that.
Hello,

Sorry, but I can't understand this.

- Why books should not look exactly as they were made to show.
- Why books should not look and show as desktop ADE and Sony Library previews.
- Why Sony can't release a updated firmware, both for new series 600/300 and old 505, to properly support ePub and as many fixed, compatible or new ePub standard features as possible. Maybe a mobile ADE limit or problem? I don't think so.

We discussed also some about this here. A book for testing was also uploaded by Catire:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=54625&page=2

Thanks! Regards!

Last edited by jotas; 08-29-2009 at 12:30 PM.
jotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
jotas
Connoisseur
jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: who knows?
By the way,

here: http://www.lectoreselectronicos.com/...&postorder=asc

You can view a justified EPUB from Feedbooks:

1) By ADE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3506/...c6ea91ac_o.png

2) By Lbook firwmare (Cool Reader viewer) running over an Hanlin V3 clone, font set to Arial, size 26, no hyphenation (can be set to on). Lbook does not work well for complex or long ePub files, anyway, just for sample: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3512/...c970a5b2fd.jpg

3) Using ADE over latest official firmware for Hanlin V3. The ADE support is ugly, very basic, very few options and only four and bad scaled zoom levels, but...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3439/...e47f52fca7.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2525/...3a2f5c4fb5.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2474/...af32ecda0b.jpg

So, yes, I think Sony can do it, definitely.
jotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramookie View Post
...reading in the forums, looking at the Linux code...
Out of curiosity, which forums are you talking about ? I'd love to read and communicate about hacking the PRS-505, and I hope somehow that we'll be able to enhance it...

Regards,
David.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #8
ultramookie
almighty trouble creator
ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: bn nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
Out of curiosity, which forums are you talking about ? I'd love to read and communicate about hacking the PRS-505, and I hope somehow that we'll be able to enhance it...

Regards,
David.
hey, i was referring to this post a couple of days ago:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...55&postcount=7
ultramookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:36 AM   #9
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Thanks, then I'll forward my question to Igorsk !
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I just hope they fix the page number problem with epubs!
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Page number problem? What problem is that?
Old 09-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #12
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Page number problem? What problem is that?

The problem where the page numbers are on the right margin. It's not really a problem if you're reading short stories but when you get up past 1000 it's problematic. I give wide margins but even 10px isn't enough room and the numbers overlap the text which is distracting/highly annoying.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
The problem where the page numbers are on the right margin. It's not really a problem if you're reading short stories but when you get up past 1000 it's problematic. I give wide margins but even 10px isn't enough room and the numbers overlap the text which is distracting/highly annoying.
But that's not a problem, it's a feature.

I notice that while the Opus has the numbers too (anyone using ADE does), they're kind of faded so they don't seem to stand out as much as they do on the Sony.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, it would be nice to have the option of switching them off, but I don't personally regard them as a problem.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #15
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, it would be nice to have the option of switching them off, but I don't personally regard them as a problem.

It's a problem for me as a reader and they need to find a way for readers to decide if they want them or not. Until then, it falls into the problem category for me. I can live without the full justification. None of the RTF files I read on my device are fully justified but the page numbers is incredibly distracting. My eyes zero in on them every page turn and I can't ignore them so it's harder to focus on the story and it shouldn't be that much work to enjoy a story. So I'm sticking with LRF in the meantime.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote