Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 04:03 AM   #1
smithsc
smithsc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
PRS-505 "reader starting up"

Hi Guys,

My fiance is very upset as her pride and joy PRS-505 has given up the ghost she has had it nearly 14months and loves it but for the last 2 weeks its just said "reader starting up" and it won't go any further we have charged it via the mains for 12hours yesterday to no avail, i have done soft reset, hard reset and still nothing, i have phone Sony UK and they want £176 to have it looked at and repaired (i can get a new one for £179) I'm at a loss what to do has anyone got any ideas.

Thanks

Scott
smithsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:56 AM   #2
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
have you tried reflashing or should i say updating the firmware, maybe use prs customizer as this as far as i know reflashes the firmware
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 05:01 AM   #3
smithsc

Hi Mate,

Sorry but not sure what you mean i'm a bit slow when it comes technical stuff my fiance tried updating firmware last night through sony and that didn't change anything advice greatly appriciated
Old 10-01-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
readerjr
readerjr began at the beginning.

Device: prs700
the real answer

Hello I dont know if you still need the help but you can try this:

If the reader doesnt have enought energy in order to complet a simple reset process will have the same screen all the time , also if you charge the unit with the computer you have to be sure that the computer doesnt have the sleep mode feature on, because if it does for security purposes it wont charge the unit so you are just loosing your time, please do follow. connect the reader with the computer and check if you have a red light next to the power button, if you do, please charge the unit just for one hour, if you dont have a red light hit the reset button while is connect with the computer, we need the red light , after charging the unit hit the reset button and swicth the power button 3 times , the screen will flash and will get the starting up message and the main menu will show up...
readerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsc View Post
we have charged it via the mains for 12hours yesterday to no avail
Are you using the mini-usb socket or the round, yellow one?

If the usb one, it won't charge from the mains & is probably completely flat - try connecting it to a computer & look for the red led on the top to light up, but give it a while as it may not even have enough power to light that to start off.

(Or see if you can locate a generic PSP charger to charge via the round, yellow socket.)

Last edited by gwynevans; 10-01-2009 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Add PSP note
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readerjr View Post
please charge the unit just for one hour
May not be long enough...

Quote:
if you dont have a red light hit the reset button while is connect with the computer, we need the red light
Won't appear if completely flat - give it 20 mins or so to be sure first but has to be via a computer if using the usb.

Quote:
, after charging the unit hit the reset button and swicth the power button 3 times , the screen will flash and will get the starting up message and the main menu will show up...
I'd suggest just trying the power slide once first... Look for the led to flash yellow as it starts the boot process, then the screen will update shortly after that.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
smithsc

Hi I have done that and it comes up with what it came up with last night and thats "firmware update did not complete successfully please try again" argh help
Old 10-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard

OK, assuming it's now fully charged, connect it to the PC & run the Sony Firmware Updater. Does it see the Reader?
Old 10-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
smithsc

I will have to check when i get home but we tried it last night and it said updated correctly but then went back to the Starting up screen
Old 10-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard

If you can get hold of a PSP charger (this sort of thing), then it might be worth using that on it just to be sure it's powered ok, then try restarting & finally, reflashing.

If it says that it's already up to date or similar, you may need to edit the executable - see this thread
Old 10-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #11
smithsc

just tried it and the update button greyed out when i try and add the firmware
Old 10-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
smithsc

somehow i've managed to get the new firmware on the reader and then it said safe to remove usb which i have done now its just saying starting up again whats going on can anyone help
Old 10-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #13
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I know you mentioned already doing this, but it may help to go over the information in the below thread (by Patricia) and then check the information in the wiki link that it gives. I hope this helps.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21337

***a quick question...Do you have any pdf files on the Reader? Sometimes large pdf files get stuck loading or a large amount of pdf files cause my reader to take forever to load. I've had to delete those files and then my Reader is able to start up.***
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #14
smithsc

No pdf's on and it wont let me do a hard reset just keeps sayingstarting up
Old 10-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #15
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
A low charge will get stuck here.. Have you purchased a mains charger yet? (psp or Sony) It may need the full charge again to move beyond this point.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote