Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I used the Nova Launcher with the DCikonz theme (a seperate free app) and the wallpaper is from Pic Speed Wallpapers (free app)
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
Good morning Tubemonkey. I was thrilled to see your post. I can't thank you enough for the hand holding. I downloaded Nova Launcher and started to play. Sadly, I realized that I need the wallpaper first. I will have to wait for this evening to get those. It's like decorating a room which is one of my favorite things to do. I am going to try all the launchers that you mentioned. And you are so right, I can't wait to make it " mine".
You can also set a picture that you take to be your wallpaper. So your background really *can* be a decorated room in your house.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
You can also set a picture that you take to be your wallpaper. So your background really *can* be a decorated room in your house.
Now there's an idea
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #19
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
@tubemonkey that was awesome. Thanx! I was just happy to figure out how to get icons like google+ and hulu off my screen. I'm going to try a launcher once I get used to everything.
As our simian friend said, you should really install a launcher first, as each one is a little different, and the icons you add to one don't automatically appear in another. If you add an icon in the stock Nook launcher, then change launchers you will need to add them to the new launcher again. So, it’s best to start out with what you’re going to be running.

Also the learning curve for each is a little different, while all of the aftermarket launchers are about equally capable, they all do things a bit differently. So find the one you like and stick to it.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #20
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I used Holo Launcher HD. Mainly because I use the non-HD version on my phone and media player. I tried Nova Launcher (the free version) on my Nook HD+, but although I liked the features, it seemed slower and laggier, so I uninstalled. As for wallpaper, I just did some Google searching for high resolution wallpaper until I found some I liked. You'll want fairly high resolution for the Nook HD+ screen, or they'll pixelate.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #21
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many
Quote:
Sorry I just saw your post. I haven't had a minute until now. Thank you so much but this is one of the few things that I knew how to do.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #22
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Glad to help, and you're so welcome. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Someone's bound to know the answer.
Never offer a woman the chance to ask more questions. I have tried one of your recommended launchers and hopefully will have time to try the others. But what I really want most of all is the ability to watch tv on this device. Mostly stuff that I have recorded on my DVR. I hope you return to this thread and see this.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #23
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I'm using the stock Nook launcher on the Nook side of my HD+, and the Trebuchet launcher on the N2A card side of the device, which was pre-installed on the card.

The Wiki listing of Android launchers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Android_launchers
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #24
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Never offer a woman the chance to ask more questions. I have tried one of your recommended launchers and hopefully will have time to try the others. But what I really want most of all is the ability to watch tv on this device. Mostly stuff that I have recorded on my DVR. I hope you return to this thread and see this.
Hm. I have no idea how to get stuff from a DVR to tablet. I would think that it would be illegal since DVRs involve DRM to prevent you from copying data off them, unless your TV provider has a way you can do it.

You can try and see if your shows are on Hulu. You have to pay for Hulu+ to watch on a tablet though (or at least, I haven't found a way to request the desktop site reliably yet).
Old 06-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #25
Rbneader
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyReader View Post
I have the Apex launcher and a couple others but can't figure out how to get to my nook library or store to be able read like on my Nook standard default launcher. Any help appreciated. Thx
I had this problem once, and it turned out that the launcher had set itself to fire up by default when the little Nook button was pressed. To turn off that default setting, go the Settings, Applications, My Apps. Find and select your launchers. On the settings screen for the launcher, there should be a Launch By Default section, and a button to Clear Defaults. The button might be grayed out. If so, go to the next launcher. If it can be pressed, press it.

After you do that for all your launchers, the next time you press the Nook button, you should get a popup asking which launcher you want to use.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #26
Rbneader
Fanatic

Quote:
Thx much.. I will try it when I get home tonite.. I think I have seen that option.. we shall see..
Good luck! That popup asking for a launcher is tricky. It automatically has the 'Use by Default' option checked, so it's easy to set a launcher as default that you don't really want. Once I unchecked that I got the popup everytime I presed the Nook button, so now I can choose which launcher to use.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #27
Venus
Country girl

Quote:
Hm. I have no idea how to get stuff from a DVR to tablet. I would think that it would be illegal since DVRs involve DRM to prevent you from copying data off them, unless your TV provider has a way you can do it.

You can try and see if your shows are on Hulu. You have to pay for Hulu+ to watch on a tablet though (or at least, I haven't found a way to request the desktop site reliably yet).
I can see that I was very very unclear. I have never done anything illegal yet and watching a dvr'd tennis match doesn't constitute enough of a desperate situation for me to warrant crossing the line. What I meant was that on my iPad I have an app from my cable company that allows me to watch tv and control my DVR from the app on my iPad. I know that my cable company also has an app for the Fire. But maybe it works on the Nook. I just wanted to know if anyone else has tried it. And I have never used Hulu. But thank you for taking the time to respond and making me laugh at how vague I must have been.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #28
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
Quote:
Hi Venus,

If you are a Dish network subscriber with a DVR that supports it, you can control your DVR, watch live TV (that is, whatever is on in your home time zone), see the program guide, and watch content on your DVR anywhere in the world if you have Dish's sling device connected to your home WiFi network and the Dish app on your android device. You have to set up a Dish online ID first if you don't already have one.

Search for "dish" in the Google Play store and install the app, then enter your ID and password. HD movies look great but the watching experience may be limited if you have borderline WiFi bandwidth at home and/or wherever your Nook is when you try to watch.

Here in the US, we are a bit limited in terms of free apps that are legal for watching TV content. I think Hulu+ is the only TV app available to us and it only provides a short subscription-free window before you have to pay for content.

If anyone knows whether there's any kind of workaround to get my HD+ to play Amazon Prime video, that would be great, although I'm guessing there is none.
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #29
Venus
Country girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutraa View Post
Hi Venus,

If you are a Dish network subscriber with a DVR that supports it, you can control your DVR, watch live TV (that is, whatever is on in your home time zone), see the program guide, and watch content on your DVR anywhere in the world if you have Dish's sling device connected to your home WiFi network and the Dish app on your android device. You have to set up a Dish online ID first if you don't already have one.

Search for "dish" in the Google Play store and install the app, then enter your ID and password. HD movies look great but the watching experience may be limited if you have borderline WiFi bandwidth at home and/or wherever your Nook is when you try to watch.

Here in the US, we are a bit limited in terms of free apps that are legal for watching TV content. I think Hulu+ is the only TV app available to us and it only provides a short subscription-free window before you have to pay for content.

If anyone knows whether there's any kind of workaround to get my HD+ to play Amazon Prime video, that would be great, although I'm guessing there is none.
Thank you Lutraa for taking the time to try to assist me in my quest to watch my DVR'd tennis matches on the Nook HD+. I can just watch from any room in my home but I was hoping to use the tablet to watch the taped matches outside. I am really an outdoor person and thought I could watch in my favorite lounge chair . But I don't have Dish. Thank you very much anyway.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #30
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
I like my Nook HD+ and thinking about buying the Root My Nook card.. whats your take and thoughts on that.. it would totally free up my NOOK??????
It will turn your HD+ into an unrestricted Android eReader/Tablet.

FWIW there is no need to pay for such a card, as you can create one yourself using the instructions posted at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...39&postcount=1 or http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...52&postcount=1.

Last edited by livramax; 07-01-2013 at 09:07 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote