Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
samineru
samineru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
USBNetwork Issues

I've installed the USBNetwork hack on my kindle 3, and am having a small issue. I am using linux mint debian. The device presents itself as a network interface, but does not fully connect. Any ideas for what may be going wrong or what I can do to further investigate?
samineru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
samineru

For future googlers: It will not finish autoconnecting, you must manually give it an IP by
ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.1
as it says in the guide, and I should have seen

Last edited by samineru; 01-02-2012 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Whoops, wrong ip
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by samineru View Post
For future googlers: It will not finish autoconnecting, you must manually give it an IP by
ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.2
as it says in the guide, and I should have seen.
EDIT: @samineru: I see that you fixed the IP address in your post above.

Your instructions will not work on a Windows host PC, and they will not work on a linux host PC as shown above, and even with a non-conflicting IP address they will not work on ubuntu-based distros such as linux mint for more than about one minute. Manually setting the IP address (again) after the network manager has timed out will work, but is inconvenient.

linux instructions:
You cannot use the IP address 192.168.2.2 for the host PC as shown above, because it is already used by the kindle. You need some other IP address in that subnet. I suggest that you instead do:

nmcli dev disconnect iface usb0
ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.1

The first command (nmcli) prevents the network manager installed in linux mint (and other ubuntu based distros) from resetting usb0 after it gives up trying to automatically set an IP address for usb0 (because the kindle is not running a dhcp server daemon). The result of NOT doing the nmcli command shown above is that your ssh session freezes about a minute after you connected the usb cable, when the network manager times out and resets usb0, which removes your manually set IP address.

The second command manually assigns an IP address that is NOT already used by the kindle, but is within the same IP subnet.

Windows instructions:
On a Windows host PC, you need to manually assigned an IP address of 192.168.2.1 and netmask of 255.255.255.0 in the TCP/IP(v4) properties for the RNDIS network device.

Connecting multiple Kindles simultaneously:
You cannot have two or more Kindles connected to a host PC at the same time using the above methods because they will be assigned conflicting hardware MAC addresses and conflicting IP address.

I wrote a script (mntusb) to run on a linux host PC that finds all of the attached kindles and automatically assigns them the correct unique IP address defined in each of their usbnet config files, and also assignes a unique hardware MAC address to them. Each usb port must use a different IP subnet (defined in the kindles and on the local host PC), as can be seen in the following post (which also contains the mntusb script):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...sb#post1841893

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-02-2012 at 08:48 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
samineru

Wow, thank you.

Tags
hack, kindle, usbnet, usbnetwork