Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 05-03-2009, 06:03 AM   #16
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
I guess it depends on what your definition of "unreadable" and "just fine" is. Personally, I think "unreadable" is closer to reality.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #17
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
I guess it depends on what your definition of "unreadable" and "just fine" is. Personally, I think "unreadable" is closer to reality.
Exactly.
If you want to enjoy a good layout of a proper ebook, then "unreadable" is a very mild definition of the garbage you get....unless you use a real zoom feature on 700 (not font increase), then it might look better with one small flaw. You will have to zoom in every time you turn a page, because 700 doesn't remember zoom position when you turn pages.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:47 AM   #18
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
An example of why layout matters, and not just textual matter, Derrida's Glas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glas_(book)

Here, he writes in two columns (one a commentary on Hegel, and another on Genet) with interweaving quotes. I'm not sure that in other digital book formats aside from PDF would work for this kind of text.

I too have composed text where the layout is part and parcel of the way one engages with the document. A long time ago I wrote a "mystoriography" interweaving a second set of voices between lines of the main text.

Last edited by thibaulthalpern; 05-05-2009 at 04:49 AM.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:45 AM   #19
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

In HTML, you can always use tables...
Old 05-06-2009, 01:56 AM   #20
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is HTML considered a digital book format?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:23 AM   #21
pepak
Guru

Why not?

Anyway, EPUB is basically HTML compressed into a ZIP archive.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:26 AM   #22
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
I'm looking forward to the point where eReader software is supporting CSS the way browsers of years ago did ... floating elements and stuff.
I really dislike going back to tables for reasons of design.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:07 AM   #23
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Quote:
Why not?

Anyway, EPUB is basically HTML compressed into a ZIP archive.
Is that right? I had no idea.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #24
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
Is that right? I had no idea.
Yea most of the major eBooks use HTML as a format. (MOBI/LIT/ePUB)

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #25
dauwhe
<geek type="xml"/>
dauwhe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dauwhe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dauwhe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle, Kindle 2, Sony Reader, iPod Touch
Quote:
But they may not display how you want. Kindle 1 doesn't do tables at all. ePub in Sony Reader will truncate them if they're too wide, so it's impossible to see some of the text. Some readers won't display all of a table cell if it doesn't fit on one screen.

Dave
dauwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #26
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

And as far as I know, you don't have exact control over layout with HTML as one would after something is printed in PDF. That is, PDF displays in exactly the layout the author wants while HTML can't do that by nature of what it is.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauwhe View Post
But they may not display how you want. Kindle 1 doesn't do tables at all. ePub in Sony Reader will truncate them if they're too wide, so it's impossible to see some of the text. Some readers won't display all of a table cell if it doesn't fit on one screen.

Dave
I am surprised to hear that K1 doesn't do tables as MOBI does although only one level and only simple ones.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
And as far as I know, you don't have exact control over layout with HTML as one would after something is printed in PDF. That is, PDF displays in exactly the layout the author wants while HTML can't do that by nature of what it is.
That is true but then you don't always need exact control over the placement on a page and you can't always assume the page is the exact size you wanted it to be. This is why we have multiple formats for different uses.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote