Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 06-14-2007, 06:16 PM   #16
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
No I mean the LesEchos firmware...^^
Well Les Echos have a few dfferent hardware parts (the controller is different), and the firmware seems to be based on closed formats. Not sure that the firmware might work on the STAReREAD in the end, although there's many similarities...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:00 AM   #17
micro
Connoisseur
micro doesn't littermicro doesn't littermicro doesn't litter

Device: STAReBOOK STK-101
will also be interesting to see about that new South Korean ebook reader based on the STAReBOOK.

Hopefully I'll try to get my hands on one in a store here soonish.

micro
micro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:42 AM   #18
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
newest info, just in from Clark Lee...the firmware may be delayed until August...bad news I'd say.

Apparently some things are "not going smoothly" whatever that means.

However, there is a new eREAD software out there...version 6.0 which is still all chinese (interface) but apart from that should work just fine according to Clark.
I'll see, maybe I'll give it a try.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:36 PM   #19
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I think the folks that develop the STAReBOOK bit off more than they can chew, and the result is that development of the software side of the STAReBOOK is getting neglected. I guess it's the usual case of the orders going up, the profits going up but the staff remaining the same.

I hope they'll get their act together and at least fis some of the more annoying shortcomings of the STAReBOOK before August. Adding new features is all fine, but it can wait. Fixing bugs like the formatting and the wrong page-number display should however be done quickly since it damages the useability of the device and angers the customers.
I did not pay for the STAReBOOK so I'm not that angry, but there are people who did.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:38 AM   #20
micro
Connoisseur

I'll have to check out the new eRead version. please please please let them have hired a UI designer

To be honest, as a paying STAReBOOK customer its annoying to see all these new models being released that are based on the STAReBOOK, but offering many more features. I agree with the Commander, at least fix the current bugs before adding new features.

On another note, does your eRead messenger app still work ? I havent been able to get mine to log in for a month or 2 now.

micro
Old 06-21-2007, 05:03 AM   #21
micro
Connoisseur

okies, I tried the chinese language eRead6.0 . After installing support for Chinese fonts it helped, but at least for me, not knowing any chinese at all means its going to be hard to figure it out.

It does look like a vast improvement over the existing eRead software. However, the interface is still completely non-compliant with anything I've ever seen before, and is in some wacked out black theme. Why oh why must people mess with skins? At least make that an user option.

micro
Old 08-15-2007, 06:49 AM   #22
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

It appears the new firmware is still not with us.
Since Stareread is not replying to my mails I hope somebody else can contact them and get the newest info on when the firmware is now finally going to be released (if at all).
Old 08-26-2007, 07:39 PM   #23
micro
Connoisseur

I've given it a whirl and can't get hold of anyone. My messenger app doesn't even connect any more, so I can't use it

Fingers crossed that they are all just busy working very very hard.

Anyone in Taipei or near one of their other stores that can pop in and ask?

micro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
It appears the new firmware is still not with us.
Since Stareread is not replying to my mails I hope somebody else can contact them and get the newest info on when the firmware is now finally going to be released (if at all).
Old 09-17-2007, 04:15 PM   #24
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

I just got some feeback from the www.eRead.co.nz branch. Apparently they launched a Chinese update for the STAReBOOK in August and are now working on the English version.

Here is what I got:

Quote:
Hi Roland,

Thanks for using our product.
The update is on its way. We released the Chinese version of our new reader in August 2007(the English version is still in Development).
Based on the feedbacks from our customers, we realized the expectation of our customers is very high. Rather throwing out consecutive update one thing at the time, we now tested our software more thoroughly before we release the English version.

If you don't mind, I will send you information as soon as I receive any new information from our HQ.
Let's hope it really happens...and soon...
Old 09-21-2007, 01:35 AM   #25
micro
Connoisseur

excellent.

Its at least good to hear that they still exist and havent completely abandoned us early adopters.

I wonder if this is talking simply about the eRead software for the PC, or if they are still planning an updated firmware for the device itself.

Not speaking chinese I still installed the chinese software and it did look much much better than the existing english.

Oh well, fingers crossed,

Micro
Old 10-31-2007, 03:35 AM   #26
micro
Connoisseur

Another 40 days waiting, no firmware

It makes me a sad StarEBookian

micro
Old 10-31-2007, 11:21 AM   #27
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Me too.

I installed the eRead software that the guys at eRead.co.nz pointed me to and it "downdated" my firmware to 1.11!
I tried to re-up it, but the download links on the Stareread.com website are down and have been so for at least a month...very sad indeed.
I'm hoping to get the Bookeen firmware sometime and then I can try to update my STAReBOOK to a Cybook Gen3...that would be extremely cool...but there are a lot of problems that I can see, even if the update works.
The Cybook uses a Vizplex screen and that might make it incompatible...among other things...
Old 11-02-2007, 01:46 AM   #28
micro
Connoisseur

Well, fingers crossed with the cybook firmware. Let me know how you get on.

I guess you won't know until you try how it'll work out. But I'm hoping for the best.

good luck,

micro
Old 12-02-2007, 11:25 PM   #29
micro
Connoisseur

another month, still no firmware

Looks like I have bought an orphaned device. Oh well, it still works great once you get to know its quirks.

Must say I'm a bit disapointed with StarERead thou,

mike
Old 12-03-2007, 08:26 AM   #30
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

So am I. They promised big and then vanished.
Even the eread.co.nz guys seem to be gone. I sent them a message asking for news twice already, but they never replied.