Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What features are required for a 9.7’’ e-reader ?
Wifi 378 64.40%
3G 121 20.61%
Touch screen 334 56.90%
Stylus 196 33.39%
Color screen 213 36.29%
Email 125 21.29%
Web Browser 231 39.35%
Document search 393 66.95%
Dictionary 413 70.36%
Music player 84 14.31%
Video player 58 9.88%
OPDS compatibility 104 17.72%
Just show me the results 28 4.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kralikba View Post
As current e-Ink displays have a very slow response time, I'm pretty sure that a touch screen for clicking links etc. is a must to replace a graphic cursor.
The next generation eink screens are going to have a higher contrast and be faster.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggers7652 View Post
I need a BACK LIGHT. I read mainly at night and hate those clip on lights. A back light with the option to adjust the light is needed. Multiple formats, SD card slot.
A backlight is not possible with eink screens. The light is unable to pass through.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #48
SplogSplog
Connoisseur
SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Irex DR1000S
As with many people, none of those options are interesting to me. Here are the top ten I would like in a big-screen reader. Any device with all these features would have me buy it immediately (so long as it was less than, say, US$1000)

1: Instant on and off (i.e. sub-second "boot time" and "shutdown time")
2: Long battery life (thousands of page turns when in use, or many weeks when switched off)
3: PDF support, including continuous page flow, and the ability to view in portrait or landscape
4: Annotations (i.e. scribbling with a stylus) and ideally the ability to export the original document back to a computer with the annotations in place (with an option to include only those pages that are annotated!)
5: Not back-lit, or with the option to turn back-lighting off
6: Very fast page turns (ideally less than 0.5 seconds)
7: Very fast "panning" for moving around large pages (ideally a tiny fraction of a second)
8: Great zoom in and out capabilities (something like the pinch movement on the iPhone)
09: No requirement that I buy documents through some "store", instead the device should appear like a folder on my computer, with drag and drop capabilities
10: Open source OS, so the user community can make enhancements

Last edited by SplogSplog; 06-08-2010 at 10:34 AM.
SplogSplog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #49
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Colour and Wifi. I've replaced all my fiction and some non-fiction books already, now I want to replace all the art and architecture books I once had and I need colour for that. Wi-Fi to transfer books. Don't need a movie watcher, a web surfer, an application launcher, a music player, none of those.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #50
cherublace
cherublace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cherublace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cherublace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cherublace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cherublace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cherublace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cherublace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cherublace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cherublace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cherublace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cherublace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-600
More grays. Many times i have trouble on sony touch with grayscale. wish it was darker at times to facilitate reading in darker settings. also a back light is needed, i mean there must be a way to incorporate a back light and have a touch function. lastly must be light. after reading with the sony daily for a week i returned it because i thought my wrist would snap!!!! good luck!!! bring on a better reader!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cherublace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #51
4Foot
4Foot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Sorry, but this looks much more like a feature list for an "xPad" of some kind than an e-reader. The minute you try to make a nicely dedicated piece of technology multi-purpose you are doomed to end up with a chimera that does not do one thing well but many things inadequately.

I would suggest your 'contact' refocus their design goals to one single purpose and do it right.

4Foot
4Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #52
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Most of the options are things that would be useful on a tablet computer, not an ebook reader. Nearly every feature on that list is one meant for doing something other than reading.

I'm with Mr. Ploppy. I want features for reading ebooks. I don't want color. I don't want video, audio, Web browsing, email, and all the rest; I have a netbook for that. I want features to make it a better ebook reader, not a half-assed computer. I want to read books. Oh, and I hate touch screens, and will not buy one.

What do I want?
  • a good, crisp e-ink screen
  • Instant on and off
  • Long battery life (thousands of page turns when in use)
  • fast page turns
  • conveniently located, well-thought-out, and ergonomic controls
  • plenty of internal memory
  • good PDF rendering (I don't need annotation)
  • folders
  • easy book browsing
  • a text-based interface*
  • ability to read any common ebook format and many obscure ones
  • choice of text size
  • some means of easily attaching any book light (a fold-out bracket?)
In other words, I want features that improve my experience reading ebooks. That's what I'm buying the thing for. The ability to do things other than reading ebooks is meaningless to me. Having a video player on an ebook reader, for instance, makes as much sense as having a dishwasher in my refrigerator. I want the world's best ebook reader, not the world's most half-assed ebook reader/video player/Web browser/music player/cell phone/PDA/pickle jar.

* Were I an illiterate moron only capable of pointing at pictures, I wouldn't be buying an ebook reader, now, would I?
More or less
I only edited the list a little bit.

P.S. and please NO H/W keyboard similar to Kindle's.

Last edited by astra; 06-08-2010 at 10:13 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #53
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Worldwalker has a good list IMO.

In any new device I might buy I'd hope to get the new higher contrast screen.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #54
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplogSplog View Post
As with many people, none of those options are interesting to me. Here are the top ten I would like in a big-screen reader. Any device with all these features would have me buy it immediately (so long as it was less than, say, US$1000)

1: Instant on and off (i.e. sub-second "boot time" and "shutdown time")
2: Long battery life (thousands of page turns when in use, or many weeks when switched off)
3: PDF support, including continuous page flow, and the ability to view in portrait or landscape
4: Annotations (i.e. scribbling with a stylus) and ideally the ability to export the original document back to a computer with the annotations in place (with an option to include on those pages that are annotated!)
5: Not back-lit, or with the option to turn back-lighting off
6: Very fast page turns (ideally less than 0.5 seconds)
7: Very fast "panning" for moving around large pages (ideally a tiny fraction of a second)
8: Great zoom in and out capabilities (something like the pinch movement on the iPhone)
09: No requirement that I buy documents through some "store", instead the device should appear like a folder on my computer, with drag and drop capabilities
10: Open source OS, so the user community can make enhancements
Great list!

Use of the stylus and dictionary (and the ability to add more dictionaries) would top my list, wi-fi and an internet browser would be great but I could definitely live without them. A touch screen would be great, I would probably prefer the wacom touch-screens over something that is more user-friendly but degrades the screen contrast. I don't really need a colour screen, but a colour e-paper screen would probably be a nice extra for me. The MOST important feature for me would be the ability to handle PDFs well, and the ability to annotate them and export the annotations.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #55
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
SDHC card reader built in (or SDXC)
Full PDF support, reflow etc.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #56
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I voted for: wifi, 3G, touch screen, stylus (it makes it much easier to select words), dictionary, and document search.

Things that I would have selected if they were on the list would be:
ability to make notes/annotations
SD/micro SD card slot
ability to create and manage folders on the reader itself without having to use a PC
ability to add/edit metadata for the books on the reader itself

Things that would be ok, but not essential:
color screen
music player
games

Since we are talking dedicated reader, the definite no-nos would be:
web browser
email checker
video player
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #57
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
I chose: Wifi, Touch Screen, Email, Document Search, Dictionary, OPDS and everything Worldwalker said minus hating touch screen with an affordable price
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #58
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
I have a reader that I am happy with. It's light, easy to hold, battery lasts a long time, and is just great to read on.

That said, I would like something larger than 8 inches with color for other uses. If it can be used to read, that too would be fine. But I would not use it as a primary reader.

PS- Gorilla Glass. If I'm going to spend a significant amount of money I want something like Gorilla Glass.

Last edited by SameOldStory; 06-08-2010 at 11:09 AM.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #59
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I don't need any of those things. A built-in dictionary would be nice, though.

I Googled OPDS and found out that it's an "Offshore Petroleum Discharge System." I can understand why this sort of device is on people's minds these days, but I don't need one on an ebook reader. I think it would add a lot of bulk and probably about $500,000 to the price tag.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #60
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I don't need any of those things. A built-in dictionary would be nice, though.

I Googled OPDS and found out that it's an "Offshore Petroleum Discharge System." I can understand why this sort of device is on people's minds these days, but I don't need one on an ebook reader. I think it would add a lot of bulk and probably about $500,000 to the price tag.
The Open Publication Distribution System (OPDS) Wiki
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote