Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
OkComp
OkComp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Can I buy a Kindle (Global wireless) in USA and make it work permanently abroad?

I want to avoid paying the over $100 extra for customs tax if I ordered and have it shipping to my country. Instead I would prefer to buy it to a US based address. I want to make sure that I can subsequently register it, and use it in my country. Is this possible?
OkComp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
sjeffrey
sjeffrey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Amazon only sales the Global version, so you would be fine.
sjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, OkComp.

Hopefully........someone will post soon with answers.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
sjeffrey

Did I misunderstand the question?
I'm not sure why desertgrandma adds "hopefully...someone will post soon with answers..."

To clarify, AFAIK, Amazon only has the Global version shipping, they don't produce the USA version anymore. The hardware on the Global version is the same no matter where you have it shipped. So as long as Amazon says it's available in your Country, then yes, you can buy it, ship it to USA and get it forwarded to you. The same would apply to a regular US citizen traveling to another Country that has 3G agreement with Amazon. It will work.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeffrey View Post
Did I misunderstand the question?
I'm not sure why desertgrandma adds "hopefully...someone will post soon with answers..."
sorry......I just missed your post!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
OkComp

thanks dude. afterward would it be advisable to leave it as a US based Kindle or to register as my home country based?
Old 02-19-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
sjeffrey

You can register to your home country. The only downside is that you might have to pay a charge for delivery of the books you will purchase. I know Canada has a 2$ charge per book. What some people do is register their Kindle with US address and buy Amazon.com gift cards to pay for the books. That way you save the 2$ charge and you can use your credit card (to pay for gift cards). I'm not sure if this is still valid but when you do buy it from Amazon.com, mark to send it as gift. That way when they ship your Kindle it will not be registered, allowing you to register it once you receive it. Worse case though, you can unregister it and re-register under different account (if you decide to register to your country). Bottom line is, no matter what you will be able to us the 3G in your home country.

Take a look at this blog entry, it can be useful.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #8
OkComp

@sjeffrey Thanks a lot
Old 03-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
johnstu
johnstu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS505, iPhone, Kindle 2, iPad 2
That's not strictly the only downside; another is the range of books offered.

Registering as a US resident gives you access to more books than another country. (Although, there are a few books unavailable to US residents that are available other countries, but far fewer than vice-versa)
johnstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
OkComp

Will I be charged roaming charges for downloading the books abroad?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you have them sent wirelessly, yes, you will. If you download them to your PC and then transfer them to your Kindle via USB then no, you won't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkComp View Post
I want to avoid paying the over $100 extra for customs tax if I ordered and have it shipping to my country.
But how would you physically get it to your country? If you have it sent by mail or courier, you will have to pay the tax at the point of delivery. If you are visiting the US and carry it home with you, you will pay at customs on arrival.

By the way, I don't know which country you are in, but if it is in the EU, you won't pay "customs tax" (or, if you do, it will be very small), but you will pay VAT - but I'd be suprised if that was as much as $100. But, in any case, that doesn't change what I said above about paying at the point of delivery or arrival.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abroad, customs, kindle, tax