Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Ask about specification

Hi,

I have a few questions:

1. Does it display Thai language (the ebook content, not the menu)?

2. Does it have dictionary lookup features?

3. What accessories are included in the package?

4. How well it support mobipocket non-drmed prc file format?

Thank you
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Bthoven,

1) Thai language - yes it does display it, if you install Thai font.
Can you please, take minute and send a sample of Thai book (not in pdf) to info@PocketBookReader.com, I'll double check it.
2) Dictionaries lookups - yes
3) Accessories - leather cover, 1 Gb SD card, wall charger
4) PRC format is supported and displayed all right.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 12:42 AM   #3
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Hi Yar,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Can you download the sample Thai prc file from my post here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...21&postcount=3

and post the display result for my view.

You may look at my thread asking about Thai support here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58036

Thanks

ps. can I ask how much for the shipping cost to Bangkok, Thailand?

Last edited by bthoven; 10-07-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:57 AM   #4
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Bthoven,

Please, have a look at this Thai book at my PB301. Sorry for quick iPhone pictures.
All I did was copying one of the True Type Fonts, supporting Thai, Angsa.ttf, to the /system/fonts on the device memory. After that I opened the book and changed the setting to this font and auto encoding. Voila, it works!
Here is the link to a bunch of unicode Thai fonts: http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Thai.html

The shipping and and handling cost to Thailand is $60.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thai3_PocketBook301.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	37001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thai2_PocketBook301.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	37002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thai1_PocketBook301.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	37003  
Old 10-07-2009, 02:26 AM   #5
bthoven
Evangelist

Hi,

Thanks a lot. It displays very well, except that all links of news items are connected instead of split on different lines as they should have been, very strange!. I attach a photo showing how it should look on screen (this is from Kindle App on my iPhone, same file)

Another question, can I look up dictionary from prc and epub? Can you show me the screen when the dictionary (Eng-Eng) showing the translation?

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	iPhone 104.png
Views:	694
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	37012  

Last edited by bthoven; 10-07-2009 at 05:43 AM.
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
Hi,

Another question, can I look up dictionary from prc and epub? Can you show me the screen when the dictionary (Eng-Eng) showing the translation?

Thanks again.
Here is how dictionary works with FB2:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DictionaryPocketBook301_4.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	37048   Click image for larger version

Name:	DictionaryPocketBook301_3.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	37049   Click image for larger version

Name:	DictionaryPocketBook301_2.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	37050   Click image for larger version

Name:	DictionaryPocketBook301_1.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	37051  
Old 10-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

And here is dictionary workin on an EPUB format book:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DictionaryPocketBook301_EPUB.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	37052  
Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You know that you can set a key for taking screenshots? Should be better quality than a cellphone...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
bthoven
Evangelist

Thanks Yar/Igorsk,

The dictionary lookup seems working fine.Your photo really helps me seeing how it works.

Come back to the mobipocket prc file because I usually use Mobipocket desktop to retrieve full-content feeds and transfer to my iPHone for offline reading. Just wonder whether PB301 will display the English content properly, I attach the Mobileread Forum for you to test and display the result for me. I hope each news items will show on separate line as they should have been.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: prc MobileRead_Forums_FF6393DF.prc (92.8 KB, 665 views)
Old 10-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
JAW
JAW began at the beginning.

Quote:
Thanks Yar/Igorsk,

The dictionary lookup seems working fine.Your photo really helps me seeing how it works.

Come back to the mobipocket prc file because I usually use Mobipocket desktop to retrieve full-content feeds and transfer to my iPHone for offline reading. Just wonder whether PB301 will display the English content properly, I attach the Mobileread Forum for you to test and display the result for me. I hope each news items will show on separate line as they should have been.

Thanks in advance.
This, the font may solve the problem with the Thai.
http://packages.debian.org/ru/squeeze/ttf-thai-arundina

Pocket Book on the American market to all interesting.

The emergence of Adobe Engine, as advance PocketBook other devices on the market.
From easier and more convenient SonyReader.
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #11
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

Screenshot

Quote:
Thanks Yar/Igorsk,

Thanks in advance.

Here it is:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1255066444.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	37126  

Last edited by Yar-PocketBooker; 10-08-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:08 AM   #12
bthoven
Evangelist

Yar,

Thanks a lot. So I think the prc engine in the reader should be improved in the next firmware because it does not split the line for each bullet items. I understand that the link in the ebook also works?

At least the Thai display looks very nice + a great dictionary lookup feature!

Thanks for trying this out for me.

ps. Here is how it looks in Kindle app on my iPhone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	iPhone 105.png
Views:	556
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	37129   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone 111.png
Views:	569
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	37130   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone 108.png
Views:	560
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	37131  

Last edited by bthoven; 10-09-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:20 AM   #13
bthoven
Evangelist

Another question. The dictionary look up works in this prc file?

If not, which ebook format it supports?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #14
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

Bthvn,
links do work, and the lines are separate, but you are correct - they are no displayed as separate bullets... but that did not spoil my impression from that page - it was very readible, even inspite that it did not "bulletize" each piece of news. Maybe... heh... let me check it - maybe I should've make the font smaller? I'll try and if it does break them into bullets with the smaller font - I'll let you know...
Dictionaries do work in prc, and almost in all other formats (no djvu, pdf).
Old 10-09-2009, 01:55 AM   #15
bthoven
Evangelist

Yar...that's great news for me regarding the dictionary. The bullet things, I can live with that; anyway, let's try your way whether it can be improved.

After comparing several ebook reader, it seems Pocketbook 301+ is now the best ebook reader in 6-inch size category, just my opinion.