Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #46
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
GB/T18287-2000 is the "execution standard". V5-364560 should be the model number. I checked against my battery, and the number does match up to the physical dimensions of the battery (approx. 45mm x 60mm x 3.6mm). However, even if you find a battery with these dimensions, you're probably not going to find one with the right connector. If you want a replacement battery, it would be better just to buy one from Astak so you will know for certain that the battery you are getting will work with the device.

Hopefully, since there are other companies who are going to be selling the Hanlin V5 (Bebook mini for example), the replacement batteries will be easier to find in the future, especially those of you who are overseas.

Robertb, any idea if Astak is planning on putting the battery (as well as replacement covers, cables, etc..) up for sale on the website, or is it just going to be the case that you will have to contact support to buy one? (I see that in the FAQ, you have instructions to contact support regarding replacement batteries.)
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #47
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Folks
Technician mode on:
Voltage, Discharge capacity and (power) cell technology are NOT the only specification when buying a replacement battery.
Other factors are Form Factor (shape), Terminal or Lead-connector configuration-size.
If you have a lot of specialized electronics assembly tools, you might be able to modify an existing battery pack.
I don't recommend you try it. You do it wrong and you may damage your PEZ or create a fire.
Those Laptop battery fires in the news, were Li-ion batteries that charging monitoring failed.
The battery in the PEZ is physically larger than that LG phone battery (I have that battery in my phone)
Technician mode off:

I am disappointed that Jinke chose a non-common battery pack for the re-supply problems you have noted.
Fires are fun
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #48
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Your waning faith effects me. I seen your name on other forms waiting for the PP. Now this Kindle talk.

Much to consider now. Batteries never were a big issue for me but still... and yes I know Robert, 30 reviewers and the rest of the board of happy people. That's all good. Just taking a step back and continuing my research.
research is good :nod:
Old 09-25-2009, 12:40 AM   #49
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
research is good :nod:
I could just get my cake and eat it "two". Pun on buying multiple devices.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #50
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Did anyone manage to source a replacement battery yet ?
Such a pain in the arse that they changed them from the 6" Nokia type on my Bebook
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #51
Stargazer1
Stargazer1 began at the beginning.

Device: ez reader pocket pro
I find it quite odd that you can't find an EXACT replacement Pocket Pro battery anywhere on the internet except at the Astak site (and they say they only have 40 in stock. Who do they contact after they run out?). I've always been able to locate any type of hard-to-find battery on the internet for whatever device I needed it for (cell phone, digital camera, etc...). As people have pointed out, there are many polymer li-on 1000mAh, 3.7v batteries out there that look to be the the right fit, but none have the three connector wires. I do consider myself at least an amateur when it comes to being tech-savvy, but I've never taped or glued connector wires to a battery before. I'd also be kind of hesitant to try it (being that I wouldn't want to risk damage to the unit). As to Amy's reply to Jen: "We asked our manufacturer for the specs, and according to them, the battery is a very special model and its highly unlikely that it will be available in the US...", this doesn't seem to make any sense (not on Amy's part, but the manufacturer). We can only hope that eventually they (or so some acceptable generic brand) will become available via the internet.
Stargazer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #52
Stargazer1
Stargazer1 began at the beginning.

Device: ez reader pocket pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyRich View Post

...If I had to guess, this battery seems like a close alternative. This battery is for the Ipod Photo.
PMPAIPHOTO

Of course, all this information is gleaned from web searches, so all the information could be inaccurate.
Richy: This battery seems to be the best candidate by far. The only two problems would be 1) What if the battery is too thick? (It looks thin, but what if it is "not quite" thin enough?), & 2) What if the connectors don't fit? (Just because it has 3 wires, the connector on the battery might not be the same size as the receiving connection slot on the device).

However, as I stated, it is the best candidate so far (being that it is 1000mAh, 3.7v, li-ion, and has a 3-wire connector). I would by no means encourage anyone to try it. However, if any brave soul out there does decide to "go for it", kindly post back and let us know the results!

Seriously, though, it would be nice to see an approved replacement battery made widely available on the internet, if not in electronic stores.
Stargazer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:22 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer1 View Post
I find it quite odd that you can't find an EXACT replacement Pocket Pro battery anywhere on the internet except at the Astak site
Given that the Pocket Pro is simply a rebadged Hanlin V5, can you not buy the battery from Hanlin?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:26 AM   #54
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given that the Pocket Pro is simply a rebadged Hanlin V5, can you not buy the battery from Hanlin?
Your logic is impeccable sir
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:58 AM   #55
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamzilla View Post
Robertb, any idea if Astak is planning on putting the battery (as well as replacement covers, cables, etc..) up for sale on the website?
This seems like a good idea to make a lot of people happy. Would be great to have replacement covers available too.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #56
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer1 View Post
Richy: This battery seems to be the best candidate by far. The only two problems would be 1) What if the battery is too thick? (It looks thin, but what if it is "not quite" thin enough?), & 2) What if the connectors don't fit? (Just because it has 3 wires, the connector on the battery might not be the same size as the receiving connection slot on the device).

However, as I stated, it is the best candidate so far (being that it is 1000mAh, 3.7v, li-ion, and has a 3-wire connector). I would by no means encourage anyone to try it. However, if any brave soul out there does decide to "go for it", kindly post back and let us know the results!

Seriously, though, it would be nice to see an approved replacement battery made widely available on the internet, if not in electronic stores.
we should all give like 50 cents and have a brave soul buy it and try it with their Pocket pro
Old 10-14-2009, 01:00 AM   #57
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Quote:
we should all give like 50 cents and have a brave soul buy it and try it with their Pocket pro
What about when their PP blows up?
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:57 AM   #58
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Well hopefully at least 400 people have donated 50cents to the poor soul to cover the cost of a new PP
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #59
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
that's why they have to be brave....
Old 10-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #60
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
that's why they have to be brave....
A simple voltmeter would be cheaper and simpler. Just check the pins and compare the voltage output pins with the current model. If it passes this test it is very very unlikely that the unit will blow up.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote