Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-27-2008, 05:05 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
What books have changed your life?

Technologist Kevin Kelly:

I don't mean merely great books, or memorable ones, or favorite ones. I mean books that altered your behavior, changed your mind, redirected the course of your life. Books as levers.

Let's put them down here in this thread, the books that have been levers for us, and changed our life and way of thinking.

My list:

- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

- Siddhartha by Herman Hesse

- Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

- My first C++ textbook (dunno the title, but I think it was from O'Reilly)
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #2
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
- The Bible
- The Physician, by Noah Gordon
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Device: A FREE (!!!) replacement cybook gen 3
- Kassandra (Christa Wolf)
- The Illuminatus Trilogy (RA Wilson)
- Catch 22 (Heller)
WDecraene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Stranger in a Strange Land
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Women for Dummies
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Really hard to say.

* "Lord of the Rings" - it introduced a world of fantasy and I am eternally grateful to J.R.R. Tolkien for that.

* "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (Douglas Adams) Discworld-seroes (Terry Pratchett) - Fantasy/SciFi can be funny but still deeply philosophical

* Last of their kind (Douglas Adams) and later "Selmon in doubt" (Douglas Adams) - Life is much too short

* "In 300 Jahren vielleicht" (Tillmann Röhrig) (I dont think there is an english version, but the title translates to 'Perhaps in 300 years') - it was the first book I cried over. Story: 5 days in a little village during the Thirty Years' War in Europe. I was 12 when I read it, and it moved me deeply.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Made life:
  • The Bible
Changed life:
  • The Medium is the Message
  • Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
  • Eclipse of the Intellectual
  • Time Enough for Love
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:08 AM   #8
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Great question. It's the main reason I read anything at all. I'd say in rough order of influence and importance to me:

An Autobiography: The Story of My Experiments with Truth, Satyagraha in South Africa, and most other writings by Mohandis K. Gandhi
Demian and Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham
The Hero with a Thousand Faces and other books by Joseph Campbell
Unto This Last by John Ruskin
The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr. by Clayborne Carson
The Ascent of Man by Jacob Bronowski
Benjamin Franklin by Carl Van Doren
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnnegut
Lying Awake by Mark Salzman
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

Sorry for listing so many. And I have so much more to read that I hope will be of equal importance to me.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:26 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would have to say that the books that changed my life were the Star trek books by James Blish. Those were the first science fiction books I read that I can recall. They were given to me in a box of books someone was getting rid of and now I do read a lot of science fiction & fantasy type books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
"Lord of the Rings" - it introduced a world of fantasy and I am eternally grateful to J.R.R. Tolkien for that.
Ditto. I have nothing to add.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #11
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
All of Robert Heinlein's books together but particularly "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress", "Time Enough For Love", "Fear No Evil", "Friday", and "Starman Jones".

Also Andre Norton's "Daybreak 2250 AD", Jerry Pournelle/Larry Niven/Steven Barnes' "The Legacy of Heorot", C.J. Cherryh's "Cuckoo's Egg", and especially Jack Chalkers "Soul Rider" series.

Last edited by slayda; 06-28-2008 at 01:53 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #12
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
the books that changed my life are actually books i read as a child. they helped form my view of the world. i'd say the edward eager books - particularly maybe magic and the well wishers - lloyd alexander's book of 3 series and a book called why not join the giraffes by hope campbell. while there are many, many books that have influenced me, these helped define the way i look at the world even all these years later
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Andre Norton's "Star Man's Son" (which might have been a retitling of Daybreak 2250) ... that got me hooked on Science Fiction in a big way.

The Bible ... which after I read and studied it convinced me that I had no business calling myself a Christian and led me towards Buddhism.

Asimov's Foundation Trilogy, which changed the way I thought about how the world works.

Heinlein's Lazarous Long series of books because they made me consider the perspective of people who were of a different sexual orientation than I.

Larry Niven's series leading up to "Ringworld" which made me consider the theory of panspermia from a different point of view.

Lord of the Rings, which gave me a better lesson on the battle of good versus evil than the Bible ever could (and no one was demanding that I actually believe in the literal truth of LotR which was a big plus for me).

Jerzy Kozinski's "The Painted Bird" which made me vow to protect the rights of the disenfranchised for the rest of my days, and which might have been the trigger that sent me to law school.

I think that's most or all of them. I'll probably think of something in the middle of the night, and wake up out of a dead sleep feeling like a complete idiot for leaving it out.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:07 AM   #14
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
"Siddhartha" by Hermann Hesse: a gentle, simple story of the journey of a great and wise man. I read it when I was a teenager. It kick-started my spiritual beliefs.

"Fooled by Randomness" by Nassim Taleb and "Misbehaviour of Markets" by Benoit Mandelbrot: I read these much more recently and they changed the way I look at the world. Where I once saw significance, I now see randomness.

My belief in an Intelligent Designer has given way to a belief that everything is just happenstance.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:53 AM   #15
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Slaughterhouse-Five. I took too many mushrooms and extrapolated a plot of my own life out in a tangentially related way to the 2/3 of the book that I had read at the point when I tripped. Anyway, I kinda became convinced that I was in an experiment or at least something analogous to a perfectly complex computer system run by aliens, basically, and those aliens being something pretty far beyond humans (and maybe even humans themselves doing kind of a generational loop which actually acts in its own name and does something with quantum faggot physics or something, right?). I also became convinced that I was god, which is something that will hit you pretty hard for a while until you give up the ghost on that bullshit (it's not a philosophically productive line of thought, nor is it science). And, so, this is mostly to blame on Kurt Vonnegut, basically.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment