Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-13-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
sudhakar
sudhakar began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 705 wifi
Reading in dim/no light conditions

I want to know if any reader has an optional backlit or edge lighting (I mean, light from the inside edges of the device) so that we can read them in any condition - be it daylight or no light.

I just bought Archos 705 portable media player and want to read books (not ebooks. I am not interested in them.). I have books in jpg format and some other books in html format and some more in pdf. I can convert office docs into pdf or html and read them in Archos 705. I can read html pages online or offline in it. I have purchased an extra battery also. So for all my needs this is enough.

Having said all this, I want to explore e ink reader options, if there are any since to my knowledge they have the following advantages:
1. More close to paper experience.
2. No strain on eyes.
3. Longer battery life
4. Light weight.
5. Bigger display. (some are above 7 inches)

Do you know if there are any products that cater to my needs.

Thanks
Sudhakar
sudhakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Eink does not allow for back lighting. The only reader you'll find that has a backlight is the EbookWise 1150. But it is not eink based. The only thing you can do with an eink based device is purchase a book light for it to use in low/no light conditions. I'm partial to the bug light for when I finally get around to purchasing a light. Most eink devices Sony, Cybook, Jinke, etc have 6" screens. The only only one currently out at a larger screen is the iRex and that is $699. With the cirrent generation of Vizplex you will get 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 if you go iRex. But you won't get the ability to read in the dark without an external light.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are a whole range of "clip-on" lights available which work extremely well with eInk bookreaders. They generally use LEDs and run for hundreds of hours on an AA battery.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
sudhakar
sudhakar began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 705 wifi
Thanks a lot for the replies.
sudhakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
With the iLiad, there's the option of plugging one of those bendy LED desk lights into the USB port. I picked one up for 99p, and while it makes my reader look like something out of War of the Worlds, it does the job!
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2008, 04:44 AM   #6
ottocrat
Bookish
ottocrat doesn't litterottocrat doesn't litter

Device: Psion 5, Palm Tungsten T2, Nokia N73, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhakar View Post
I just bought Archos 705 portable media player and want to read books (not ebooks. I am not interested in them.).
Can you explain what you mean by 'ebooks' here? I understand 'ebooks' to mean books in electronic format; what do you mean? I'm wondering if I've got my jargon wrong.
ottocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:04 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
With the iLiad, there's the option of plugging one of those bendy LED desk lights into the USB port. I picked one up for 99p, and while it makes my reader look like something out of War of the Worlds, it does the job!
What impact does that have on battery life?
Old 03-14-2008, 07:43 AM   #8
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What impact does that have on battery life?
No idea. I've not yet sat reading in the dark for long enough to find out! I obviously need to go camping.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:44 AM   #9
carandol
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocrat View Post
Can you explain what you mean by 'ebooks' here? I understand 'ebooks' to mean books in electronic format; what do you mean? I'm wondering if I've got my jargon wrong.
No, I think you're right. It confused me too.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
No idea. I've not yet sat reading in the dark for long enough to find out! I obviously need to go camping.
What you need to do is get one of those solar chargers, then have the iLiad powering the light which is shining on the solar panel to charge the iLiad.