Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
Lightbulb How to easily backup all your notes, marks & reading positions with rsync under Linux

Hi guys,

I have lost the notes, marks and reading positions of my personal docs not synced to the Amazon cloud in the past (e.g. calibre deletes them when you use it to delete ebooks from the device) and wanted to easily back them up locally, especially as those are tiny, tiny files.

Because I already have the whole ebook library in calibre plus a backup I did not want to create another full backup with all the ebook files in it, just those ancillary files.

Enter rsync, one of my favourite Linux command line tools!

I just had to google and read the Manpage a bit and survey the file endings used for the different note formats, and voilá:

Code:
rsync -ahvh --progress --prune-empty-dirs --include-from="rsync-include.txt" --exclude='*' /media/Kindle/documents/ ~/Backups/Kindle/2012-10-24/documents/
wherein the rsync-include.txt reads as follows:

Code:
*/
*.mbp
*.mbp1
*.mbs
*.azw3r
*.azw3f
*.pds
*.pdt
*.tal
*.tas
*.apnx
*.phl
*.asc
*.ea
This preserves the directory structure. Adapt the file paths to your own setup, of course. E.g. on Fedora 16 and above, /media/kindle needs to be changed to /run/media/<user>/Kindle. You may have to mkdir the backup destination directory first.

*.apnx are page numbers, *.phl are public highlights and *.asc are end action (*.ea on the Kindle 3) and X-Ray files, all of which you can refetch from Amazon for their books (so feel free to remove those), but all the other endings are the four times two note and reading position formats for MOBIs, AZW3s (KF8), PDFs and AZW1s (Topaz) respectively.

Includes findings from qlob.

Last edited by Dylan Tomorrow; 11-12-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: EDIT1 27th Oct 2012:Added findings from qlob, Thanks!; EDIT2: Added *.mbp
Dylan Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Thanks so much for this! I will definitely use this! The only thing I use is linux, and sooner or later i was going to wite a script to launch rdiffbackup everytime I plug in my Kindle...
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
zeb
Connoisseur
zeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with others

Device: none
Thanks a lot.
zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
You are welcome! I was wondering if this would reach anyone at all ...

One caveat: I got the file endings from looking at all the files on my Kindle Touch, if you have another model of the Kindle it may use some different file endings (I've read somewhere that the endings changed with the Touch), so you may have to add them to the rsync-include.txt. I collected them via (assuming the folder naming did not also change ):
Code:
cd /media/Kindle/documents/
ls *.sdr
ls */*.sdr
Dylan Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FYI, on Fedora 16 and above, /media/kindle needs to be changed to /run/media/<user>/Kindle
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
qlob
Official Lurker

Also .ea is another file extension i see here on my K3.

Tags
backup, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, marks, notes, rsync