Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Free - Flight to Darkness by Gil Brewer [Noir] (Amazon) [US]

A New Pulp Press reprint freebie. Originally published by Gold Medal in 1952.

Quote:
Eric Garth is a Korean War veteran who has spent the last several months of his life in a psychiatric ward. There, he becomes romantically involved with a nurse named Leda, who seems to have more than just a passing interest in the inheritance that Eric is due to receive once his ill mother passes. When Eric is fingered for a brutal murder, an incident that he doesn’t remember happening, he begins doubting his own sanity. Is he a delusional killer, or has he been set-up?

Florida writer Gil Brewer (1922-1983) was the author of dozens of wonderfully sleazy sex/crime adventure novels of the 1950’s and 60’s, including the best seller The Red Scarf, which sold more than a million copies. The Gina Gershon movie 3-Way was based on two of Gil Brewer’s novels. Brewer wrote some 30 novels between 1951 and the late 60s—very often involving an ordinary man who becomes involved with, and is often corrupted and destroyed by, an evil or designing woman. His style is simple and direct, with sharp dialogue, often achieving considerable intensity. In recent years there has been a renewed interest in Brewer’s books, similar to the Jim Thompson revival of the 1980’s.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054KEHFK
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
A New Pulp Press reprint freebie. Originally published by Gold Medal in 1952.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054KEHFK
Read this last year; very enjoyable if you like this genre.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Did you get the one from Fictionwise? That was by Wonder Audiobooks/Ebooks. I got that one, too.

The excerpt they have there makes it sound even more intriguing:

Quote:
I murdered my brother with a sculptor's mallet. But it was only a dream. It was a dream I always had. I hated my brother. I was going home to see him now, get it out of my system, and then spend the rest of my life hunting Leda. She was my wife and she belonged to me. All I remember of that searing journey was the sun blazing down. And there, framed in the doorway, were my brother Frank and Leda, my lovely Judas wife. So when they found my brother with his head battered in by a sculptor's mallet, they said I had murdered him. But did I?
There's also a longer excerpt there if anyone's interested.

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b112734/?si=0
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Did you get the one from Fictionwise? That was by Wonder Audiobooks/Ebooks. I got that one, too.
Yep. I liked Brewer's stories in Wonder's "Masters of Noir" short story collections, so I picked this one up too.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote