Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 08-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Is EE still worth getting?

So I've had a couple weeks now to play with my PE. My first impressions of it was just that it was an ok tablet and an ok reader. This was before I knew how ot actually use it. As someone that likes to study, take notes, plot stories and do research for them, the two screens are amazing. Now I'm thinking I may like the full size EE for note taking better.

As you all know the company is gone, no more updates. I'm thinking of trying to pick up a used EE. Do you guys think its still worth it? How does it perform compared to the PE? I was a bit disappointed in how laggy handwritting is on the eInk side, but it works great on EZPDF. What about Apps? I know the EE has a larger resolution. Are there many full size Apps that will run on it?

What happens when Entourage's servers no longer allows registrations? Is there a work around?

I have enough devices but none of them does exactly what I want. The PE really handles my research needs, and I love how you can send a web page to the eInk side, as well as attach things to it.

Last question? I'm a bit confused. Someone has instructions on how to move Apps to the SD card and that when you upgrade to 2.2 you no longer have 3 (or is ir 4) gigs internal space?

Sorry so many questions. Thanks in advance.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
I was in the same boat as you, I had a PE, saw the EE and started asking questions until the answers got the best of me ... and ... well ... I have an EE.

So heres the answers
1. Do you guys think its still worth it?
-- yes

2.How does it perform compared to the PE?
-- The PE is better for novel reading, the EE is better for textbook and pdf reading

Writing on the PE e-ink is slower and limited space-wise, the EE has both of those qualities on the positive.

The PE barely has any problems after upgrading to 2.2 (only some hibernation issues on almost on no units), the EE has a couple possible downsides (~80% chance of hibernation issue and a good amount of browser crash issues on some units) in addition the camera is pretty much useless due to green tint.

The PE feels sturdier in your hands, while the EE creaks and generally feels more flimsy (but still stable, just less stable in comparison)

The PE has one usb slot and a mic/headphones jack, the EE has two usb jacks and a mic jack and headphone jack.

The EE is much heavier, but what can you expect (I can still hold it like a novel above my head as I lay down with one hand, but I'm used to heavy electronics).

The ac adapters are different (the EE has a brick) and the EE also has an easily removable battery, while the PE has a reset switch.

3.I was a bit disappointed in how laggy handwritting is on the eInk side, but it works great on EZPDF
-- The lagginess is almost gone on the e-ink side once you update to Ermine on an EE. Definitely an improvement over the PE

4. What about Apps? I know the EE has a larger resolution. Are there many full size Apps that will run on it?
-- pretty much every app that works for the PE, works for the EE. In my experience, all of them have, but I've heard of some not working.

5. What happens when Entourage's servers no longer allows registrations? Is there a work around?
-- All of the files that you need to perform the golden update and upgrade to android 2.2 are on this forum, and you can still register through adobe I believe. So, (unless I'm missing something) registration is not really needed?

6. Last question? I'm a bit confused. Someone has instructions on how to move Apps to the SD card and that when you upgrade to 2.2 you no longer have 3 (or is ir 4) gigs internal space?
-- I believe this procedure your talking about makes the edge think that those 3 gbs of storage is an sd card, while the edge stores its apps and internal memory on the sd card in two partitioned areas.

I hope I didn't misinform on answer 5 and 6 (I'm not 100% sure of myself on those answers and would gladly accept a helpful "your an idiot" if I went wrong there)

Last edited by mokel22; 08-02-2011 at 12:58 AM.
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Awesome, Thanks Mokel.
Now that you have both of them, which one do you find you are using more?

I've always been big on Wacom pens. I was disappointed Apple won't release a real pen for the iPad, I have a old Windows Tablet thats about 7 years old. Works great but I use Mac now so I never use that either. So for me it was my ereaders, iPad and Mac Air. None of them had the pen experience I wanted, then came the PE which added the bonus features of making research extremely pleasurable.

Hopefully I can pick up a EE at a good price. Was there ever a case (not sleeve) made for either devices?
Old 08-02-2011, 01:49 AM   #4
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
Awesome, Thanks Mokel.
Now that you have both of them, which one do you find you are using more?

I've always been big on Wacom pens. I was disappointed Apple won't release a real pen for the iPad, I have a old Windows Tablet thats about 7 years old. Works great but I use Mac now so I never use that either. So for me it was my ereaders, iPad and Mac Air. None of them had the pen experience I wanted, then came the PE which added the bonus features of making research extremely pleasurable.

Hopefully I can pick up a EE at a good price. Was there ever a case (not sleeve) made for either devices?
I sacrificed my PE for an EE upgrade, but when I had my PE it was mostly used for games and trying to read pdfs on the tiny screen (it was textbooks that I couldn't reflow ). Now that I have the EE I use it for reading PDFs and textbooks, as two screens while I type on my laptop (usually with an outline on the e-ink, toggling sources on the LCD, and writing on my laptop.), for IMing which helps when you are in landscape mode because of the nice sized virtual keyboard, I still game on it, but not as much due to its size, drawing is pretty awesome using the e-ink side (I made an awesome picture incorporating both sides by drawing on the e-ink and in maple paint on the lcd). In addition once school starts up I look forward to note taking in class.

I do not believe there was ever an official case, but others have used bible cases and I'm having my sister sew up a nice custom case.

Also if your looking for a good price, the best you can get is on ebay. The lowest you can get on average is ~300-400, but I've seen them go for $175 (I almost died), I bought mine for $279, someone sold a bunch for 250 awhile back, and theres a nice used on right here that you may be able to score pretty cheap: http://cgi.ebay.com/Entourage-Edge-2...26903416171033
and here: http://cgi.ebay.com/enTourage-eDGe-2...item2eb6e2514b
here too: http://cgi.ebay.com/Red-Entourage-Ed...item27bd06c624

Last edited by mokel22; 08-02-2011 at 01:58 AM.
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
Synergi
Addict

Thanks for your input Mokel.
I'm guessing you don't miss the smaller size of the PE then. I do like it size but for marking up stuff and taking notes, research etc, I think the EE size would fit my needs a bit better.

I think for school, you are going to love it. I wish they had something half as cool when I was in school hehe.

Anyone else with both? Which do you use more?
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
I don't have both because I got an EE first and can't see myself sacrificing the screen real estate, removable battery and better e-ink experience to get a PE. I have other smaller devices that I can use to varying degrees when I need portability, so there really was no need for a PE, and if I could only have one, it would be EE all the way.

I do things like sign documents, sketch floor plans (these renos will never end!) or write math solutions. I'm also always booking flights, so I often have my edge open like a netbook with the e-ink side flat on the table and that's my note/scratch pad as I compare flight options in the browser.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
I don't have both because I got an EE first and can't see myself sacrificing the screen real estate, removable battery and better e-ink experience to get a PE. I have other smaller devices that I can use to varying degrees when I need portability, so there really was no need for a PE, and if I could only have one, it would be EE all the way.

I do things like sign documents, sketch floor plans (these renos will never end!) or write math solutions. I'm also always booking flights, so I often have my edge open like a netbook with the e-ink side flat on the table and that's my note/scratch pad as I compare flight options in the browser.
I have a terrible memory. I'll often see something when I'm surfing that I plan to check into further once I'm done with the site I'm currently on. Normally I forget what that was, but now I just scribble it on the eink side. Two screens is really useful. Microsoft must be nuts to can the Courier.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I have both.

I use both.

I wouldn't trade either for the other.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
Synergi
Addict

Ok guys, you talked me into it. Just picked up a buy it now for 265 on Ebay. Now I need to sell one of my lesser used items to make up for it lol.

I'm excited, can't wait to try out the full size screen.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
That's a great price, Synergi (assuming it is in decent shape, of course); I wouldn't hesitate to spend that much on it. Hope you enjoy it!

Of course, we all need to know what COLOUR it is! :P
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #11
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
That's a great price, Synergi (assuming it is in decent shape, of course); I wouldn't hesitate to spend that much on it. Hope you enjoy it!

Of course, we all need to know what COLOUR it is! :P
Suppose to be in good condition with a 30 day money back if you aren't pleased.

And the color is the dark blue.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #12
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Congrats, Synergi!

I really wanted the dark blue. <sigh> But I put a gelaskin on my black EE that is mostly dark blue so I'm happy!

30 day money back is a great deal! You will, of course, let us know how you like it!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #13
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Congrats, Synergi!

I really wanted the dark blue. <sigh> But I put a gelaskin on my black EE that is mostly dark blue so I'm happy!

30 day money back is a great deal! You will, of course, let us know how you like it!
I sure will. I had to toss my old iPhone 3g up for sale to help make up for the money I spent lol.

Can't wait to play to play with the bigger size!

What is a gelaskin? A cover of some kind?

Last edited by Synergi; 08-03-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #14
Filark

Gelaskin: www.gelaskins.com

Decalgirl: www.decalgirl.com

Both are skins, which protect the casing of your electronics (and add some personality! ). Not essential, like screen protectors are (in my opinion).

Here are a couple good threads about skins and screen protectors: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142602 https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141507