Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
K3 locked up 3 time adding and/or removing bookmark

First, I've taken to creating a bookmark periodically as I read in case the K3 forgets where I was in reading. I'd already created a number of bookmarks for this book. I attempted to add another (I have no idea how many already exist). The k3 locked up. I had to hold the power button. When it came back I had lost my place by a bit. I decided to try deleting bookmarks for the book. It again locked up. Another reset and a 3rd attempt and another lock up. On reboot, I left well enough alone - no more attempts

Ideas what is causing the lockups. And where are bookmarks stored so I can remove them all for that book if there is a separate for each book.

Thanks in advance.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Bookmarks are stored in the ".mpb" file associated with each book.

It sounds very much as though either the book or the Kindle's file system are corrupt. You haven't been disconnecting the Kindle from your PC without using the "Safely Remove Hardware" facility, have you? I'd recommend running a check on the file system to be on the safe side.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
How do you mean, 'run a check on the file system'? What is one looking for and how does one fix it if found?

Signed,

Frasier Crane =}
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Same way you'd check any other drive for errors. Eg on Windows, connect the Kindle to your PC, right click on the drive in Windows Explorer, select "Properties", go to the "Tools" tab of the properties dialog, and click the "Check for errors" button.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Same way you'd check any other drive for errors. Eg on Windows, connect the Kindle to your PC, right click on the drive in Windows Explorer, select "Properties", go to the "Tools" tab of the properties dialog, and click the "Check for errors" button.
Have never done this in life.

Thank you, going to check now. I've also had my K3 lock up when adding a bookmark, and the clock is also suddenly off.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And, now, thanks afterward. I erased the mpb file. I was back at the start and jumped to my location and was able to save a new bookmark. I just checked and I do have 942mb free. So it was not a space issue. Is there a limit to the number of bookmarks/book?
Old 05-22-2011, 05:18 AM   #7
Spoudason
Spoudason began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
My 8 month old Kindle 3 would lock up when trying to move one specific document to a collection. After this happened numerous times I called CS. They thought it was the Amazon cover (unlighted) so they credited my account and I ordered a new unlighted one. This did not clear up the problem (I tried it without the cover) so I called again and they immediately sent me a new Kindle which solved the problem. Excellent service. You might give them a call.
Spoudason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
FF2
Wizard

If the problem reoccurs I will call them.